Coaches Hot Seat

Discuss…

[URL]http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatCBRankings.htm[/URL]

For all the folks that want to dump Lutz - look at what he makes and realize what that can buy us. Unless we are willing to seriously up the cash letting him go will be a very bad decision based on who we can get to coach at that pay scale.

For all the folks that want to dump Lutz - look at what he makes and realize what that can buy us. Unless we are willing to seriously up the cash letting him go will be a very bad decision based on who we can get to coach at that pay scale.
We could downgrade pay and get a coach that could bring us 2 back to back losing seasons like Lutz is about to do.

[QUOTE=gk49;297909]We could downgrade pay and get a coach that could bring us 2 back to back losing seasons like Lutz is about to do.[/QUOTE]

I am just saying lets be realistic with our expectations if we are paying that kind of salary.

Yes, as the link points out, to get someone at a CUSA level who has had some success, even less than success that Coach Lutz has had, the starting price is $1m +. Many of the Coaches we faced in CUSA are on that list, and all are making $1m+.

As this points out most of the semi-successful coaches at the CUSA type level (10th rated in RPI), you will have to pay $1m plus to get them.

This analysis almost says, with our budget, you will not be able to go out and hire a coach with HC’ing experience. Unless you go after someone in a lower ranked conference, for example the Sun belt is ranked 15th in todays RPI, I don’t think you can get the best coach in the Sun Belt for the kind of money we are talking about. So for a HC, you may be looking at a 16th ranked conference or lower.

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;297908]For all the folks that want to dump Lutz - look at what he makes and realize what that can buy us. Unless we are willing to seriously up the cash letting him go will be a very bad decision based on who we can get to coach at that pay scale.[/QUOTE]

Sam Vincent might be available soon…and cheap too :wink:

Discuss.....

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatCBRankings.htm

These #s are wrong.

This analysis almost says, with our budget, you will not be able to go out and hire a coach with HC'ing experience. Unless you go after someone in a lower ranked conference, for example the Sun belt is ranked 15th in todays RPI, I don't think you can get the best coach in the Sun Belt for the kind of money we are talking about. So for a HC, you may be looking at a 16th ranked conference or lower.

I think most of the realistic (in terms of realizing what we can afford) here, aren’t expecting to necessarily go after a HC. There are a lot of very talented assistant coaches at BCS programs that would be a great fit for many programs that find themselves struggling on the court and with the check book. Of course, it’s a double-edged sword because if you hire an AC as your HC and he does well, bank (no pun intended) on him leaving for greener pastures in 2-3 years.

Keep an eye on DOH. If FAU and SMU win national championships in the next year or two, I say hire him.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;297932]I think most of the realistic (in terms of realizing what we can afford) here, aren’t expecting to necessarily go after a HC. There are a lot of very talented assistant coaches at BCS programs that would be a great fit for many programs that find themselves struggling on the court and with the check book. Of course, it’s a double-edged sword because if you hire an AC as your HC and he does well, bank (no pun intended) on him leaving for greener pastures in 2-3 years.[/QUOTE]

Hey man,that should be the worst problem we have…a coach does so well here that he’s in high demand.BRING IT ON!!!

[QUOTE=lucky57;297937]Hey man,that should be the worst problem we have…a coach does so well here that he’s in high demand.BRING IT ON!!![/QUOTE]

Maybe we should fire Lutz for fear of him having enough success to get a better offer.

I can’t believe the ECU coach makes the same as Lutz, how do you like the return on that investment… sheesh.

[QUOTE=lucky57;297937]Hey man,that should be the worst problem we have…a coach does so well here that he’s in high demand.BRING IT ON!!![/QUOTE]

High demand is great, but makes for a very unstable program. If I felt like we could land a coach better than Lutz I would say let him walk, but looking at the facts make me think twice before we let him walk.

I guess I look at that list a little differently. Penn State’s coach couldn’t possibly expect to have job security. He is BASKETBALL coach at PSU. Talk about destined for failure! Fire him? How are they going to replace him?

Disclaimer: poster is from Penn’s Woods

Problem with successful asst at BCS school to promote to HC at Charlotte is:

• may be a good coach, that is good
  • can they scout talent (critical at Charlotte)
  • can they recruit (when they are not at State U
  • can they attract and retain assts

They really have to do all 4 well to have any success.

What a stupid list! No way Giannani and Mooney are on the hot seat with what they are getting done at La Salle and Richmond, respectively. And why is Hobbs on the edge of the hot seat? Two straight NCAAs followed by what most thought would be a rebuilding year that got torpedoed by a season ending injury to the starting PG. If any A-10 coach should be on the list, it’s Whittenburg. Geez! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=run49er;298309]What a stupid list! No way Giannani and Mooney are on the hot seat with what they are getting done at La Salle and Richmond, respectively. And why is Hobbs on the edge of the hot seat? Two straight NCAAs followed by what most thought would be a rebuilding year that got torpedoed by a season ending injury to the starting PG. If any A-10 coach should be on the list, it’s Whittenburg. Geez! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing, especially about Mooney and Hobbs. All of Giannani’s success at La Salle has been based around one player who it doesn’t appear he recruited since he’s only been there for 4 years (talking about Smith). Not saying he will be fired, but I don’t think that discussion is as crazy as Mooney or Hobbs right now.

I was also going to point out that Larry Eustachy’s contrast is absurd.

Dr. G inherited quite a mess at La Salle following the cover-up of the alledged rape that ousted Gary Williams disciple and coach Billy Hahn, as well as several players. There was success with Steven Smith (A-10 POY in 2005 and 2006) in 2006 when the Explorers finished 18-10 (10-6 A-10, T3). The missing piece right now is a legit PG, as well as height. The former is more important at this point, so if Dr. G can get that, the Explorers should keep rising.

What a frickin job Bill Carmody has at Northwestern. Paid $1.1M to coach a program that doesn’t have any pressures to win. Not a bad gig.

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;297966]High demand is great, but makes for a very unstable program. If I felt like we could land a coach better than Lutz I would say let him walk, but looking at the facts make me think twice before we let him walk.[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t seem like Xavier has had a problem replacing guys like Prosser,Gillen etc. when they get bigger jobs.Maybe they don’t fear the unknown so much.My take is that deep down,Judy doesn’t want to have to replace Bobby and face the pressure of being responsible for the outcome,so she will be part of giving him a new contract and rewarding mediocrity…“The Devil you know…”