Coaching candidate rumors

We should only settle for Pelphrey if everyone else turns us down, the season starts tomorrow & we have to hire a coach. Really hope we don’t end up in that situation. Nothing on his resume is impressive other than the fact he worked under Billy Donovan. Best year at Arkansas was his first & their record went down hill from there. Of the choices in the Observer article he would be down at the bottom with Scheyer & Hubert Davis in my opinion. I really hope Grant is a realistic option.

Donnie Jones coached Michael Jordan’s sons at UCF. They once trashed a luxury hotel room and ran up a bunch of other bills at the resort. UCF’s rivals thought the NCAA might investigate, but it was clear who was paying the kids’ bills.

Ryan Odom’s dad coached ECU for a year, did okay, but left to become an assistant at Virginia. He be smart to stay at UMBC and wait for a job where someone has won before rather than take the ECU job.

Comments on this thread remind me of when Hill was mentioned as a candidate for AD.

I think Pelphrey can win here. I’m not sold on him as a top candidate. Let’s see what else, if anything, floats out. Odds are this stretches until Dubois returns from the Middle East. Lotta golf left.

Pelfrey isn’t the “wow” factor candidate I am waiting for !
I’d just as soon have Melvin back at 63 to groom some young assistants !

I think many of us are wanting a current head coach with recent success.

This twitter account compared Mark Fox to Thad Matta like they were the same. Clearly has no idea what he is talking abut.

They’ are flat out saying UGA should hire a black coach if they want to recruit well in-state.

do not want pelphrey. i am sure we can do better. grant is my top choice but even a guy like mcdevitt is a step up from pelphrey. 500 coach.

@Agent49 I’m curious what makes you think he can win here. I didn’t see anything that would indicate that to me, but you see something I don’t. What is it?

As far as the @cbik and @donkeyjaws comments above, I’d actually rather have Lutz back too if I have to pick just coach for coach and not considering baggage, and that’s saying a lot.

Took him a couple years, year 4 to figure it out at South Alabama, so that gives me some pause. Year 4, danced. Year 5, NIT. The coach that took over for him (so Pelphrey’s players…) danced in his first year.

He’s not my top choice, but I’d rather have him than Miller.

We don’t even have an AD yet (officially) and folks are tweeting out scoops.

Somebody’s begging for attention, guys.

1 Like

I will say this, I believe Hill has the ability to get this done while Dubois is overseas. We don’t have to wait until he returns.

Also:

clt says Odom needs to be our lead candidate.

He can lead us to Grant