Coaching contracts

What benefits/bonuses/stipulations would you give the new head football coach at Charlotte?

Great informative article… [URL=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-16-contract-provisions_x.htm][B]College football contracts are dotted with extras and provisions[/B][/URL], USA Today, 11/17/06

[QUOTE]•[B]Clean living:[/B] Central Florida’s George O’Leary gets $50,000 every year there are no violations of the student code of conduct; no arrests, indictments or convictions of crimes; and no “neglect or willfull conduct” in violation of NCAA rules.[/QUOTE]

UCF needs to schedule a game vs. Miami. Just to see O’Leary’s face on the sideline.

One thing is for certain: When Alabama offers Nick Saban $4million/year to coach and when Tennessee-Martin has an [I]entire athletics budget [/I](including Division I football) of $1.6 million - there has got to be quite a range of salaries among the ranks of Division I head football coaches.

Here’s another (older) article on coaching salaries. It should give an idea of the type of salaries that the UNC system will allow. No Division IAA salaries, unfortunately:

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/427813.html

Interesting that Bunting was being paid 225k from Learing and 150k from Nike in addition to his base salary.

That’s how Chapel Hill rolls. Roy gets a boatload for his show and from Nike, that’s how they keep their costs down. It’s part of their Nike deal, along with scholarship money to the regular university. I think Dorrance gets some Nike money too, and Hatchell definitely does.

That's how Chapel Hill rolls. Roy gets a boatload for his show and from Nike, that's how they keep their costs down. It's part of their Nike deal, along with scholarship money to the regular university. I think Dorrance gets some Nike money too, and Hatchell definitely does.

Looking at it from a Charlotte 49er perspective, if the Board of Governors approved Chapel Hill to pay their basketball coach a salary of $260k (the rest of his salary is donated through the Ram’s Head Club) and if the Board of Governors approved Chapel Hill to pay their football coach a salary of $260k, then:

How much money would the Board of Governors approve for Charlotte to use on a Div IAA football coach? I’m expecting the answer to be: ‘Not that much’.

The bad news is that it significantly reduces any chance at landing any kind of future ‘high profile’ coach due to salary restrictions. The silver lining is that the cost of a head coach’s salary is one less lame excuse the administration can use for NOT starting a football program.