Coleman committs to Charlotte!

Has two seasons left. Eligible immediately.

Welcome Coleman! Looking forward to seeing you in uniform in the fall!

[QUOTE=styleswill;312522]will he be able to play in the fall or what is the deal?[/QUOTE]

Well, Utter answered above, but yes. Because he is not transferring from a D1 program he can play immediately.

gerrity never played the two spot
He and Harris were in the game together a couple of times last season.
The coaches pull off another nice Spring pickup - a time when talent is very tough to find. Pretty cool that we won out over offers from Ga. Tech & OK St. to get him.

Good balance for next year at all positions:

-1- Harris
1/2 Gerrity
2/1 Bowden
-2- Andersen
2/3 Coleman
3/2 Barnett
-3- Dewhurst
3/4 Wilderness
4/3 Mack
-4- _______
4/5 Coley
5/4 Ngoundjo
-5- Jones

Now we just need a power forward.

we are really small

[QUOTE=metro;312586]we are really small[/QUOTE]

No smaller than last year, though. Hopefully Jones can give us more minutes.

Small compared to who metro? Other A10 teams? I seriously doubt it.

He and Harris were in the game together a couple of times last season.

When? I don’t remember them ever being in the game at the same time.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;312592]When? I don’t remember them ever being in the game at the same time.[/QUOTE]

They were.

Great news!!! Sounds like the perfect fit. Coleman is going to be fun to watch. Should really fill it up.

Thanks for the coverage Jason and Jim. Good information and helps with recruiting. Imagine if no one would have contacted him or his coach asking about it.

Detail of the visit and insight over at NinerReport. Anjuan, Dijuan and Lamont hosted his visit.

NinerReport:

[QUOTE]At 6-5, Coleman can fill it up from the perimeter, drive the lane and finish over big men in the paint.

“He can get up there,” Niblett said. “He gets a lot of stuff off of the rims and finishes with dunks. He’s a two-guard, but can play point or three also. They’re definitely getting a major player.”

This past season for the Heat, he averaged 25 points a game, had several games in which he eclipsed the 40-point mark, including a season high of 45 against Laurinburg Institute.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Powerbait;312588]No smaller than last year, though. Hopefully Jones can give us more minutes.[/QUOTE]

Actually a lot bigger than last year. Jones more minutes adds 3 inches, inside presence, long wingspan. Mack not having to play center will be key. We’re a lot bigger at the 2 with the new guys including Coleman, Bowden and Barnett (could play 2,3,4).

in terms of size, I was talking about our plethora of guys 6-3 to 6-5

is Anjuan really 6-6? He looks more 6-4

[URL]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ncch-m-baskbl-mtt.html[/URL]

I wasn’t being critical of it. I wish we had a couple more long 6-9 guys to rebound better. We did get out-rebounded last year 36.9/36.0 pg. That said, Gabby looks like he has a wingspan of 7-0. He could be such a force if it would start to click for him.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but what is all the celebration about? This is another JUCO and the person praising him is his coach. If we are getting excited about recruits like this, then we really have slipped a ton in recent years.

He’s actually not a JUCO. He played at a local NAIA school out of HS because he was only 6’0~. Then he went to the Heat Academy which is just for basketball (no actually classes).

We need for Phil and Gaby to step up and man the middle next year.Wish I had the confidence that I wanted in Phil,I just am really on the fence as to whether he will be a force next year.

for the record, gaby has a 7’3" wingspan. this guy had offers from georgia tech and oklahoma state so its not like we were the only major program recruiting this guy. averaging over 25 a game against those top notch prep schools is pretty impressive. most importantly it sounds like he will give us the scoring we need next season. you cant have too many athletes as we can see by watching memphis.

Can anyone find a photo of this guy?

[QUOTE=mineshaft;312611]I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but what is all the celebration about? This is another JUCO and the person praising him is his coach. If we are getting excited about recruits like this, then we really have slipped a ton in recent years.[/QUOTE]

He had offers from Georgia Tech and Oklahoma State and apparently cancelled recruiting trips to commit to us. He’s not a top 50 HS player, but beating out multiple BCS schools for any recruit is a victory. I’d say it takes a great deal of pessimism to turn a clear positive like this into a negative.

He had offers from Georgia Tech and Oklahoma State and apparently cancelled recruiting trips to commit to us. He's not a top 50 HS player, but beating out multiple BCS schools for any recruit is a victory. I'd say it takes a great deal of pessimism to turn a clear positive like this into a negative.
amen

Mineshaft, I don’t want to blow you completely out of the water, but you really need need to get a grip on reality. Whether you like it or not, we are a one legged man in an asskicking contest. We have to get the major talents in a backdoor way (ie prep schools, juco, transfers, etc). If a kid is really athletic AND skilled with the ball, the ACC or SEC gets him every time. Think about how many BCS schools are within 250 miles from here (UNC, Duke, Wake, ST, USC, Clem, UGA, GT, VA, Vtech, UT. I haven’t even mentioned Davidson, Winthrop, or George Mason. Some of the best players we’ve had the past decade were from alternative sources: Diego, KP, Demon, Basden, Plav, Rodney. Its almost impossible for us to pick up a legit 4 year guy right out of HS. Withers was, Jobey, Lee…there aren’t many. Wilderness has a real chance to be special in 2 years. We did sign Bowden who we stole from Va Tech.

don’t forget, we need a 2 gaurd in the WORST WAY…unless you want Ian filling up minutes. There was nobody from our roster ready to step into mega minutes at the 2. Bowden and Coleman can do it.

something tells me that if this kid was 6’6" coming out of high school he definitly would have been a top 50 recruit. growing five or six inches can make a big difference in your draft stock.