College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc šŸ’°

Jeremy Crabtree of On3 reported the 4-star prospect and No. 7 quarterback in the class of 2023, per 247Sportsā€™ composite rankings, agreed to a $9.5 million name, image and likeness deal with Miami booster John Ruiz and also turned down an $11 million offer from Floridaā€™s Gator Collective.

Why even play in the NFL? You can make enough in college to be set for life.

Hard to fathom but this is direct competition for the NFL.

Wonder when the NFL is going to start getting alarmed at their star player pool drying up?

1 Like

clt just posted the same thoughts on another chat page.

Also, this is an insane amount of money. You have to wonder if there will be some sort of market correction. As for the NFL losing out on players, theyā€™ll get them eventually unless there are some changes to eligibility limits. Whatever the NFL suffers, they deserve it for not having a farm league and just mooching off of the NCAA.

Getting them sooner or later is not the same as losing prime career years to a competitor league.

This will only apply to a handful to a dozen players each season, but just wait cause itā€™s gonna happenā€¦

Some kid that would have declared for the draft is gonna stay put in college for a guaranteed starting job, $10 million, and easier competition, plus to still be worshipped on campusā€¦

And as CHeat showed us, you donā€™t even have to go to class.

Then maybe he gets hurt and scuttles his NFL career.

Either way, the NFL is having some discussion about this. You can count on it.

By the way, there is a very simple way to fix this. Iā€™m kinda annoyed I didnā€™t think of this before.

NIL in theory is supposed to be about the players capitalizing on their name, image and likenessā€¦ As pitchmen, and in broader terms as far as media rights.

Letā€™s divide that and tackle it:

As a pitchman? Similar to how CMC might be on TV telling you to come buy a Ford, etc? Sure thing, let these kids do as much of that as they want. No $ limits.

Stephen A Smith Smh GIF by ESPN

HOWEVAā€¦

ABSOLUTELY. NO. TYING. IT. TO. WHERE. THEY PLAY.

None. If a booster / player are caught doing thisā€¦ Perma banned immediately. If the school was complicit, Major infraction and some actual penalties. I would allocate the resources to have an audit team dedicated to reviewing these deals and give them clear enforcement authority.

Same applies for individual media rights (eg the movie / book deal).

For group rightsā€¦ such as team rosters for video games, all of that money into one pool and shared equally in D1 player pool, etc.

For these big TV dealsā€¦ Itā€™s my opinion that roughly half that money should also go directly into a pool and that money should also be allocated to every player in the D1 pool.

If you institute these controls, you maintain some semblance of competitive balance without destroying a playerā€™s ability to earn a living.

Whatā€™s that you say? No one will pay a player $9.5 million to pitch Ford Trucks?

No shit. Thatā€™s the point. That deal has nothing to do with NIL. Itā€™s pay to play. And it needs to stop. He can get paid by getting a share of the media rights deal, and he is free to earn whatever other pitch money he wants to earn. So long as it doesnā€™t come with a promise to play at any specific school or in a specific league.

1 Like

But thatā€™s thing NA. The ncaa wants the rich to get richer and piss on schools like us. Hence the Wild West approach

clt says we are going to see players pass on the NFL/NBA soon. if you can make $40M in college, why bother with going pro?

I dont think the NCAA wants that. The TV Networks do though!

I think the NCAA would like to reign this in they just are not sure how and dont have the balls to try something.

1 Like

Agreed. NCAA was anti-NIL.

I donā€™t see this affecting the NFL at all. Aside from the few Andrew Luckā€™s that come every 20 years. If thereā€™s more money to be made after college, theyā€™ll pursue it. More guys play in the NFL longer than maybe should, than guys who retire too early.

1 Like

Mark this post for reposting next year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattBrownEP/status/1546570867794132993

Kyle Bailey told me I was wrong in saying that these booster clubs would effectively keep :star::star::star: recruits off G5 rosters.

Paying 100 players deep means I was right and he was wrong.

2 Likes