College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc 💰

Here’s the thing I don’t get about NIL collectives and everything else that’s going on right now: these players are supposedly being paid so that their name image and likeness can be used, but for what? I don’t see a single one of these deals that has anything to do with using their name image or likeness; they’re all just 100% inducements to play. That’s not the same thing at all, and shouldn’t be allowed.

The NCAA could start by cracking down on that.

I haven’t stayed up in all this but it seems they need government to set a law so that if the NCAA cracks down the schools won’t just leave and form their own administration. In my mind that’s the issue.

I agree. Collectives are pay to play & that’s not NIL.

2 Likes

FWIW, the NCAA is the schools and not some sort of third party regulatory body. If some institutions leave and form a new association, still going to have to deal with the same issues.

Spread that tv money out evenly to all NCAA members & then see what’s leftover to trickle down to the players. If they want this to operate like pro sports then there needs to be rules in place to level the playing field.

3 Likes

I guess he thinks a $100,000 + education is not a reward. I am sure most of the students at the universities, that have to pay for their education, would disagree with him.

Right but while the NCAA is a collective of schools they also want to keep that collective together. If they try to do anything that upsets the the P5 or really B10 and SEC the long rumored split could occur. If there is a law that dictates much of the NIL policy then there is no sense in the breakaway as the law would apply to the new collective. If there is no law then the split could create a new rule that is more in line with what the power schools want.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomMarsLaw/status/1639408082781614080

images (1)

“In the next 3-5 years, we’re gonna have 25 schools that’s gonna dominate the sport cause they can afford players. And these schools that can’t afford, or won’t pay players, are gonna be irrelevant.”

Has NIL been in existence long enough to realize Barkley’s fears or is his concern unfounded?

1 Like

I think it could be. The resources those top 20/25 schools have to build a small roster sport like basketball, gives them such a huge advantage. If there is no new ruling or enforcement of NIL at least having some rules then I don’t know how other schools compete. From what our AD has told me its basically same money that was already in the programs being diverted from donations to the program to paying players - so it isn’t a dealership looking for a return on investment, it’s just a booster doing in a much bigger way what they were already doing and because it’s above board now it isn’t just for the 5 star kids.

As it stands now it just does a school/company/donor want to go buy a title. Nothing stopping them.

Which is what we always thought it was about.

Before wasn’t any better really - the only thing that has changed is that certain programs don’t have a total lock on the talent pool like they did when it was about developing a program to hide the money and the lack of anything to do with being a real student. Now that it is above board, you don’t have to do either, and anyone with $$$ can buy a championship. Problem is, there are only so many fanbases with the $$$ and the willingness.

It’s working for Miami this season. They paid Pack around $800k. Not sure if that was for one or for multiple seasons. I know that doesn’t explain the other 3 teams in the final four. I would imagine UCONN boosters have enough money to hand out some pretty good deals of their own.

1 Like

clt gives this system 2-3 years. boosters giving money to players and not to the schools will lead to new regaulations

I suppose I would be okay with the ncaa putting some rules in the NIL deals if I actually bought the idea that they would enforce those rules equally across all conferences. I mean it could be sour grapes but before NIL was finally allowed college players were saying the SEC were the dirtiest conference in terms of breaking all the rules and just doing a gentlemens agreement not to rat each other out. I mean if we go back to putting some rules in who’s to say they won’t pull the same shit they did last time of saying “oh dont worry we totally will follow the all rules the ncaa will lay out :wink:” and then just continue to break the rules while everyone handicaps themselves. and if they do get caught who’s to say the ncaa wont just give them a slap on the wrist while we get a 3 year tourney ban for looking at a player wrong with some money in the coaches wallet?

The NCAA already has NIL rules that are not being enforced. Every collective in the country would be shutdown if they were enforcing the rules. Money wouldn’t be used to recruit players to one school from another. Both of those things are against the current NCAA rules. I really don’t think they have the resources to enforce these regulations. There are over 1000 basketball players in the portal who are all possibly being offered money to entice them to pick one school over another & possibly even offered money before they even enter the portal. All of this takes place in a one or two month time frame & that’s just for basketball. It would require an army if NCAA employees to keep up & enforce the rules. I think they know that & that is why they want federal regulation to help. The threat of a slap on the wrist from the NCAA won’t stop a rich booster from offering a kid NIL money thru their business, but legal fees and possible jail time might deter some. It’s really a waste of government resources but it’s probably the only way to regulate it now that the NIL can of worms has been opened. This is not the NBA or NFL trying to oversee 30 teams. It’s 10 times that many so it’s not surprising that the NCAA has asked for help.

At the coaches show last year Will said that once the kid hits the portal its likely already all done with another school - in other words schools are contacting, enticing and offering players deals BEFORE they even enter the portal.

2 Likes

The only schools they’ll enforce it against are the G5 schools. The big boys would just hire an army of attorneys and litigate the NCAA to death.

1 Like

Ironic since the big boys et al are the NCAA.

If anyone thought the new leadership at the NCAA was going to do anything different, doesn’t look promising. In fact, new prez not even making an appearance before Congress!

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanWolken/status/1640730857022566400

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattBrownEP/status/1640734220141187073

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattBrownEP/status/1640753995407917063

28ef50e0e24bdbb72ba15bc8bd1e8ceb