College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc đź’°

Figured this needs its own thread since there seems to be some confusion about the topic.

Anyway, with California SB 206 - the so-called Fair Play to Pay Act - passing unanimously through both the California Assembly and Senate over the past week, it awaits the signature of Governor Gavin Newsom.

In a nutshell, the law will allow college athletes to be compensated for use of their names, images or likenesses (NIL). The bill would not allow schools to directly pay athletes, but would permit students to receive compensation from outside sources.

And as could be expected, the folks in Indy are apoplectic!

Haven’t had a chance to read the article, but last I heard, NCAA was threatening California by saying they’d just stop doing business in their state, meaning no California schools would be able to participate in NCAA sanctioned games or events.

Yeah right. I’m hoping to see them try to hold that line against the state with the worlds 6th largest economy.

Would boosters be considered outside sources? I would think they would be considered an inside source & would not be allowed to pay players for autograph sessions, advertisements or other services under this law but that could be difficult to police. I am lazy & did not read the article so sorry if it discusses boosters. I can foresee gray areas where wealthy boosters can pay players or have a third party pay players nice sums of money for basically doing nothing while using this law as a cover. I think it’s generally a good idea but could introduce more ways for schools with tons of money to gain even more of an advantage.

Good read here:

NCAA is trying to navigate a slippery slope. Who’s to say the P5 just doesn’t go off on their own?

1 Like

clt wants a college FB video game

DeCourcy’s 2 cents:

Paying players beyond their tuition, room and board, free medical care, etc. will be the death of college athletics. Wait till the 75th kid on the roster starts to unionize this new “shop”.
Unfortunately I believe Pandora’s box is open and it will not end well.

I think you are right. It could end up with schools going to the Pioneer League model, with a bunch of kids that can pay for college themselves, or get academic scholarships playing. The closest that poor, urban kids with a dream will get to showcasing their talents will be watching it on TV.

The NFL needs a minor league system. College shouldn’t be it.

clt just wants to use the 49ers in a cfb game

Let’s say we pay players and they are then classified as student employees. This may not be a rule at all universities, but at UNC Charlotte student employees are only allowed to work 20 hours per week. I assume football activities are more than 20 hours per week. If I was working in a random department and they started paying athletes for more than 20 hours of work I would immediately start the fight to allow all student employees to work for more than 20 hours. This issue touches so much more than just athletes.

One of my big things with all of this is my donations. If this all becomes a business then I’m going to stop donating. I don’t donate to other businesses.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaybilas/status/1177548030209339392

That’s a very intriguing point at first, but then I ask, what’s that big of a difference? It already IS a business. Wouldn’t compensating players just be adding to the list of so many who already are on the payroll?

You also donate because of pride in the entire university, and you feel your donations will help raise the profile and prestige of the university. Compensating players as they would be in the free market won’t change any of that.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

I don’t mind donating to support the education mission of the school. Yes it is a business now to some degree, but I’m not donating so that players get paid. Donating to cover tuition costs is fine, but I don’t make “donations” to the Panthers or the Hornets. As far as I am concerned getting a free ride, housing and a stipend is fair compensation. If college sports become pro sports, well that’s just not something I’m interested in.

6 Likes

I am with NWA on this. What bothers me is how little many athletes value the scholarship and college experience. It really is the most valuable thing most any of them will get in their lives.

3 Likes

They are told you are the next star their entire lives. I’m going to get you to NFL, NBA, etc. Here are the connections I have in the league so believe me when I tell you this. It’s easy to see why they don’t value education. They are recruited to school for one reason, to play that sport. They are recruited so the school can put them on Twitter videos, media blitz, and obviously on the field. They aren’t brought in because they value education. Often times the rules have to be bent to even get them into school in the first place. The average student isn’t accepted with grades of an athlete, but because they provide entertainment and value on the sports side, they are brought in. The entire model is a sham.