College basketball scandal

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:19, topic:31097”]I don’t see how this is different from someone offering you $50 to refer them to their real estate agency. Or a bank that runs an ad they’ll give you $25 if you refer a friend. Finder’s fees is standard in business. I think FBI is just too lazy to go after gang bangers & terrorists.

And why did Bowen’s parents not pay taxes on the $100K? They’re the real criminals.[/quote]aside from what nwa said, there are very strict regulations on finders fees and referral bonuses. The amounts of money you are allowed to collect and offer are very small, not thousands of dollars. If a real estate agency offers thousands as a funders fee, they are breaking the law and will suffer stiff penalties.

If the nca a wants to allow $50 finders fees, I’m good with that, but agents aren’t going to waste their time.

Whack! Whack!

ESPN.com: Head coach Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich out at Louisville[/quote]

I assume this means we’ll be seeing Pitino back in cusa for a bit before he hangs them up.

clt says we should go after jurich.

Charlotteobserver.com: UNC, Duke recruiting target said to be involved in college basketball scandal

Newsandobserver.com: Apparent FBI informant in college basketball scandal had previous ties to UNC athletes

Good piece by Seth Davis about Pitino in The Athletic. Apparently he’s been bending the rules since his assistant coaching days at Hawaii.

[NOTE: article has been unlocked for non-subscribers]

Theathletic.com: Davis: Rick Pitino’s career, marked by ambition and success, ends in infamy

Found this on a Louisville board. :))

http://scout.com/college/louisville/Board/103990/Contents/Nike-Planted-Bowen-at-Louisville-108082362

[i]"Nike has inside with FBI and knew the investigation going on. They used their handlers and connections to push Bowen to Louisville, and entrapped Louisville assistants with their plan in the last phases of the investigation, that was not even remotely about Louisville.

Nike devised the plan to help sink both Louisville and Adidas, when they were spurned by Louisville in apparel contracts. Adidas had a rising profile among the college apparel industry and making strides to threaten Nike market share and $100 million stake. Nike had the opportunity to sink the largest Adidas contract in college sports, along with Adidas, their largest competitor."[/i]

Tweeted by Mark Adams of ESPN:

ESPN.com: Alabama associate AD Kobie Baker resigns amid internal review linked to FBI investigation

If his parents received the money in May 2017, it would be on their April 2018 tax return. While they should have paid estimated taxes on June 15, 2017, failure to do so results in a monetary penalty.

If his parents received the money in May 2017, it would be on their April 2018 tax return. While they should have paid estimated taxes on June 15, 2017, failure to do so results in a monetary penalty.[/quote]
But if they can’t pay the taxes then it will become criminal, right?. I foresee them just dropping the Lexus keys on the IRS agent’s desk and saying “best I can do”.

Long, but well worth the read: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834050/the-story-how-fbi-brought-words-corruption

[quote=“moss2k, post:30, topic:31097”]Long, but well worth the read: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834050/the-story-how-fbi-brought-words-corruption

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/09/28/ncaa-presidents-blame-college-basketball-scandal-fbi-rick-pitino-louisville/711098001/[/quote]

Agree! And the following piece by Andy Katz from 2009 very relevant now - and there is a Charlotte 49ers mention!

ESPN.com: Agents and coaches battle for prospects

I mentioned this wayyyyy back when UNC Cheat was in the middle of their most recent crisis with the NCAA. That if UNC Cheat was going down…it would start a domino effect because “everyone is doing it.” In effect, if UNC Cheat is going down…they may start a firestorm of revenge to make sure others get caught too.

Is it coincidence that the primary “informant” that started this with the FBI back in 2015 was a UNC insider??

Hmmmmmm.

Also…this FBI driven scandal will make their phony class scandal pale in comparison.

Coincidence?

I think once they knew they were going down…they sent their informer to the FBI with some REAL good info to overshadow their own issues.

Mission accomplished??

Good piece by Mike Decourcy.

Sportingnews.com: CHANGING NCAA, NBA RULES WON’T STOP COLLEGE BASKETBALL CORRUPTION

Latest domino…

AL.com: Auburn leadership moves toward ending AD Jay Jacobs’ tenure

From Pat Forde.

Yahoo.com: How college basketball’s massive scandal will completely change coaching market

[quote=“Run49er, post:36, topic:31097”]From Pat Forde.

Yahoo.com: How college basketball’s massive scandal will completely change coaching market[/quote]

clt calls major as the next coach at UNC CHeat

[quote=“Run49er, post:36, topic:31097”]From Pat Forde.

Yahoo.com: How college basketball’s massive scandal will completely change coaching market[/quote]
“I think when all is said and done there is going to be 100-plus coaches involved,” said one college coach.

This may be Lutz’s window.

Courier-journal.com: Rick Pitino raked in 98% of the cash from University of Louisville’s current Adidas deal

Courier-journal.com: Tom Jurich enjoys unusual perks and extraordinary pay at University of Louisville

Latest developments.

CBSSports.com: Mark Emmert picks Condoleezza Rice to lead new committee to fix NCAA basketball

ESPN.com: FBI investigation sending shockwaves through 2018 recruits

NewsOK.com: New York grand jury looking for NCAA violations by OSU basketball players