College Big Men

Is Sean May that good or has the college game completely been watered down to a guards game? The saddest thing is The Illini getting one player in foul trouble and ending up trying to guard May with Roger Powell who I guarantee is no bigger than 6’4". Heck O’Bannon for UofL was bigger than Powell. The scaricity of decent big men in the college game is amazing.

May has great hands and a good touch but I do not see him going in the top 15 of the draft (if that means anything anymore). No wonder so many teams shoot the 3.

Illinois choked the end of that game away(70-70 with ball and never hit another shot) and now we get to hear about it for decades as if we live in Chapel Hell or just a nightmare of it, Charlotte.

If I was drafting, May is in my top 5 or 6. He impressees more than Felton or McCants, I think they’ll both struggle. McCants isn’t going to guard anybody. Felton could be a Kidd-type, he could go either way.

May just has terrific hands. Once he gets it, it’s his. That’s worth a lot. I think he’s better than Brand when he left. They’re similar to me. The stud is Marvin Williams. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t go. Hell. after winning it all, I’ll be surprised if they all don’t go.

Wish we could worry about it sometime. We finish tied for 33-64 and are left to wonder what the hell is going on around here.

May’s height will keep him from getting drafted in the Top 5. He might be a Top 10 depending on who else enters the draft. He knows how to use that wide body to his advantage, but will be guarded by guys that are 3-7 inches taller than him at that position in the pros.

I want to order a pair of Sean May hands for Withers.

does this mean Iti is the 5th best big man in NC? :blink: :wacko: :unsure:

NO Sean May is not good, its actually starting to get ridiculous how few good big men there are. The college game has defenetly gone downhill the last 5 years with the lack of quality big men.

[b]NO Sean May is not good[/b]

Sean May may not be Andrew Bogut, but averaging a double-double through the NCAA Tourney is pretty darn impressive, no matter who you play for.

I can’t believe people on here are blasting Sean may…LOL…Charlotte would love to have him on their squad…You can believe that…and I would have to to say he’s pretty good…It’s amazing how someone can go out and dominate the region and then the #1 team in nation in title game and some of you all criticize him when he has showed night after night he is no fluke…Doe’s that mean he is gonna be a huge NBA star ??..NO…but as far as college he is a dominate inside big man…

Someone asked me to name another true post player in the country. I said Bogut… kinda (he likes to face the basket). There aren’t any others. The college post game is offically dead. After May leaves, it doesn’t exist anymore.

qc, what’s the deal. I haven’t heard anyone bash may. It’s a fact that the “big men” of college ball have become virtually non-existant. may is good, has good hands, and his game has improved with his better conditioning. Is he Shaq, Duncan, or any of the other quality big men in the nba, no. Will he be a great nba player, no. And to answer your question from another thread yes I have some envy for chapel-hill right now just like I wished we were UConn the yr before. In another 12 or 13 years I might even be envious of chapel-hill again. Enjoy your moment and run to walmart for that tshirt before all your brethren clean the place out.

[i]Originally posted by NinerPride[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 10:43 AM [b] qc, what's the deal. I haven't heard anyone bash may. It's a fact that the "big men" of college ball have become virtually non-existant. may is good, has good hands, and his game has improved with his better conditioning. Is he Shaq, Duncan, or any of the other quality big men in the nba, no. Will he be a great nba player, no. And to answer your question from another thread yes I have some envy for chapel-hill right now just like I wished we were UConn the yr before. In another 12 or 13 years I might even be envious of chapel-hill again. Enjoy your moment and run to walmart for that tshirt before all your brethren clean the place out. [/b]
If you lookup all of qc's posts, you'll see that his last 20 or so were defending the beloved ACC & Fudge...

Draw your own conclusions.

Did the Illini choke? Yes.

Is May good? Yes. My hats off to May for working his butt off to finally develop his potential.

I kept wondering watching May, if he was a Niner playing for Lutz would he be taking 12’ jumpers and Plavich would still be shooting off balance 25 footers? Let’s see May is 6’8"-9", and Curt is 6’9"-10". Hmmmm.

[i]Originally posted by NinerFan[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 11:07 AM [b] Let's see May is 6'8"-9", and Curt is 6'9"-10". Hmmmm. [/b]
Come again?

May is a post player in Demarco Johnson’s mold. Withers is an inch shorter and doesn’t possess his hands or his post moves. He is a much better jump shooter than May, despite his poor shooting form.

Announcers said last night that May was (or was close) to being the only other player besides Manning to lead his team to the title while being the top scorer/rebounder in the tournament. That says something. Credit to the kid for staying all 4 years, getting in shape, etc. He was the reason they won (that, and some clutch shooting by Felton).

Really amazed at how much those guys have progressed over the years, Felton and May in particular.

I agree, in general, that the number of true big men in the college game is minimal. There are probably a few at the smaller schools/guys that don’t get much pub, but it seems that most of the big guys either go straight to the NBA or want to be a Garnett-clone. Is it Colorado St. that has 3 guys who were over 7’ this year? Talk about a rarity…

Don’t forget, Iti is 7-0! :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :lol: :biglaugh: :lmao:

[b]Credit to the kid for staying all 4 years, getting in shape, etc. He was the reason they won (that, and some clutch shooting by Felton). [/b]

<_<

NA,

In Lutz’s ‘system’ would May ever of developed those post moves? Or would he be taking jumpers more often? In May’s first two years, I can’t think of many post moves he had that were effective.

Hard to tell. Lutz hasn’t had a post player like that to work with since Demarco, or a PG who could feed him the ball since Colson.

Those two did pretty well though.

I’m sure Lutz believes his system is the best for the types of players in the college game right now and the ones we tend to get. Whether or not you or I agree is another matter.

I will say that my lasting impression of Illinois is that they are the ultimate Lutz team - what we would look like if we had the players that Lutz tries to recruit. Dee Brown is what we want Baldwin to be, Head is the tall, athletic, sharp shooting 2G we’ve tried to get several times (Wafer?), Deron Williams is the Eddie Basden type of big, muscular, steady do-it-all guard, Roger Powell is the Curtis Withers of the team (better hands and better offensive rebounding position), and Augustine is about what I expected from Iti when he first got here (unintentional joke that Augustine fouled out in about 9 mins of play), though Iti is a better shotblocker.

Like it or not, that’s what we’re striving to be - the 2004-2005 Illini.

[i]Originally posted by jp49er[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 08:32 AM [b] does this mean Iti is the 5th best big man in NC? :blink: :wacko: :unsure: [/b]
No - Iti is 6th at the highest. The kid from ECU is better and I'd say Iti is neck and neck with goggles from UNCA.

There is not much of a post presence left in the NCAA’s but May is that good. To be as big as he is he also runs the floor well, has good footwork, great hands, and a very good finesse game. You had to see the spin move the kid had. His height will hurt him some in the NBA but he’ll do okay. He needs to turn pro - his stock right now can do nothing but go down.

I don’t care for the heels but May is the best big man I’ve seen in college since K Mart.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 10:37 AM [b] Like it or not, that's what we're striving to be - the 2004-2005 Illini. [/b]
Nothing wrong with that, though there would be several on this board that would be calling for Lutz's head if we lost in the NCAA Finals. :rolleyes:

:confused: