College Chalk Talk 2010 A-10 Awards (includes Spears and Braswell)

Player of the Year
Kevin Anderson, Richmond

Rookie of the Year
Chris Gaston, Fordham

Coach of the Year
Fran Dunphy, Temple

First Team
Lavoy Allen, Temple
Kevin Anderson, Richmond
Jordan Crawford, Xavier
Rodney Green, La Salle
Damian Saunders, Duquesne

Second Team
David Gonzalvez, Richmond
Ricky Harris, UMass
Kwamain Mitchell, Saint Louis
Andrew Nicholson, St. Bonaventure
Chris Wright, Dayton

Third Team
Ryan Brooks, Temple
Keith Cothran, Rhode Island
Chris Gaston, Fordham
Jason Love, Xavier
Shamari Spears, Charlotte

All Rookie
Chris Braswell, Charlotte
Cody Ellis, Saint Louis
Chris Gaston, Fordham
Lasan Kromah, GW
Aaric Murray, La Salle
Akeem Richmond, URI

All Defensive
Lavoy Allen, Temple
David Gonzalvez, Richmond
Jason Love, Xavier
Damian Saunders, Duquesne
Garrett Williamson, St. Joe’s

Collegechalktalk.com: 2010 Atlantic 10 Season Awards

I think that’s fair.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:2, topic:22630”]I think that’s fair.[/quote]Agree. Will be interesting to see how CCT compares when the official awards are announced by the A-10 next week.

Yep, Spears has been the only consistent force for us. Where halt thou gone Derrio?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mack or Dunphy take home COTY. Mack has a better roster, but the way they have come together in the second half of the season has been very impressive.

I think POTY is going to go to Crawford, just because XU will likely finish ahead of Richmond.

Spears is a second teamer at worst, getting penalized 'cause of our collapse.

At one point, Derrio’s name was being offered by some of our fans as a first team candidate.

I can remember several posts from various posters claiming Derrio as POY, Lutz as COY, and Bras as ROY.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:6, topic:22630”]Spears is a second teamer at worst, getting penalized 'cause of our collapse.

At one point, Derrio’s name was being offered by some of our fans as a first team candidate.[/quote]

This.

Does Rodney Green really deserve 1st team? I know they’ve had injuries and he’s played out of position at pg quite a bit, but his play has been very erratic. The turnover stats (4.1/game) alone should hurt his case, and I think the other numbers are pretty inflated by their having few other options. I’d demote him to 3rd team or so, and move either Chris Wright or Keith Cothran into his place.

I’d also have Love ahead of Nicholson. Fernandez might fit better than Brooks on third team, but it’s debatable.

Dunphy deserves coach of the year going away. I think Temple was picked no higher than 4th in any of the prognostications I saw. Plus, they just play smarter than everyone else in the games I’ve seen and their players have shown tremendous improvement (prime example: Michael Eric).

I can remember several posts from various posters claiming Derrio as POY, Lutz as COY, and Bras as ROY.[/quote]
I have said Lutz should have been COY prior to this collapse, and I think it was a fair claim. Look at what he had going until this collapse, pretty impressive, even if it was a lot of “smoke and mirrors.”

Braswell’s stats were equivalent, and imo better, to Gaston’s prior to us playing them. After then, it went all down hill for the kid.

I never thought Green was POY though. POY requires consistency, not only glamorous game winning shots.

Just my .02

NEED

MORE

TALENT

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:6, topic:22630”]Spears is a second teamer at worst, getting penalized 'cause of our collapse.

At one point, Derrio’s name was being offered by some of our fans as a first team candidate.[/quote]

At one point he was playing like it, lol.

I was the person who started the Derrio for first team talk on basketball forum and I stand behind it. The way he was playing when I said you have to give him consideration was insane.

Buuuuuut, he fell off. Hit the wall. Something. Unfortunately, like most Lutz teams, our team goes as the 2G goes. Even with one of our best FCs in a while.

Does seem odd that Wright is 2nd team, but also considered the best player in the conference by some.

[quote=“Normmm, post:14, topic:22630”]Does seem odd that Wright is 2nd team, but also considered the best player in the conference by some.[/quote] He absolutely demolished the Niners. But his poor outside shooting and shrinking at the end of games hurts I guess (look how often they draw up a last play for Lowery or C Johnson with Wright not even touching the ball). I’d still put him ahead of Green.

[quote=“hootie, post:12, topic:22630”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:6, topic:22630”]Spears is a second teamer at worst, getting penalized 'cause of our collapse.

At one point he was playing like it, lol.[/quote]

Spears should be getting 2nd team at the least… his game has worsened through the season seemingly, but still…