College Chalktalk - PPWS

Really interesting discussion of a stat I’m starting to pay more attention to: Points Per Weighted Shot. It’s a more complex measure of offensive efficiency not unlike OBP is in baseball.

Here’s the article:

[URL=http://collegechalktalk.com/general/statistical-analysis-points-per-weighted-shot-ppws/]http://collegechalktalk.com/general/statistical-analysis-points-per-weighted-shot-ppws/[/URL]

From the notes:

[QUOTE]* A lot of traffic in the sixth spot. [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Charlotte’s Lamont Mack[/COLOR][/B], Dayton’s Marcus Johnson, Richmond’s Dan Geriot and UMass’ Ricky Harris all registered a 1.1 PPWS.

Mack is an interesting player. He has the size at 6′7″, 230 lbs., but spent a great deal of time beyond the arc (shooting at a solid 41% clip). Still, he was able to get to the line 51 times, a fair amount. This season, one would believe Coach Bobby Lutz would like Mack to sacrifice a few of his 95 three-point tries for some additional appearances at the line. With Mack fully healthy, that may become a reality.[/QUOTE]

This is a really interesting stat, because it attempts to normalize guys who have high scoring averages but take a ton of shots, and it attempts to normalize the difference between a slasher and a 3 pt ace. Mack’s #6 ranking really reflects how much we relied on him for offense, and his > 1.0 number is a good return on his touches. Compare that to Leemire, who was 1.22 PPWS last season. Lee’s banner year for efiiciency was his junior season, where he shot 140 fewer 3’s, and his 5% more of them, and made 90.4% of his 105 FTA, or 1.40 PPWS.

Interesting.

But what are the odds of this occuring?

[QUOTE]This season, one would believe Coach Bobby Lutz would like Mack to sacrifice a few of his 95 three-point tries for some additional appearances at the line. With Mack fully healthy, that may become a reality. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=VA49er;332592]Interesting.

But what are the odds of this occuring?[/QUOTE]

Possible if you ask me. Last year (and I dont want to jinx us) bobby actually attacked the inside some (shocker). Granted it was nowhere near what I wanted, nor was it anywhere near where I thought it should have been, but it still occurred more than it has in the last couple of seasons. I would hope that with a couple of SG’s out top he would optimize macks size by throwing him in the mix a little more - but we’ll see.

it still occurred more than it has in the last couple of seasons. I would hope that with a couple of SG's out top he would optimize macks size by throwing him in the mix a little more - but we'll see.

Mack actually took the majority of his shots inside (over 200 shots within the arc). And the only other player not-named-Goldwire-or-Andersen with more than ten 3-pointers was Dijuan Harris - and I really didn’t have any issues with his shot selection.

It seemed like Lutz did actually try to bench Mack when he took stupid shots last year. His leash was relinquished towards the end of the year, but there were spurts when he tried, it seemed. Although Lutz did say that no shot is a bad shot.

Lamont Mack is the man

it will probably depend on whom else is on the floor with him, if it is Cooley and Wilderness then he will probably play more on the outside. It does have some advantages in college ball, if Mack is on the outside on offense, then probably the biggest or 2nd biggest guy on the other team is out there also guarding him and allows for easier shots for Cooley (including alley oops) and Wilderness and strong offensive rebounding.

This will probably allow us to play less of a shooter at the 2 position, and maybe more of a defender/slasher.

it will probably depend on whom else is on the floor with him, if it is [B]Cooley[/B] and Wilderness then he will probably play more on the outside. It does have some advantages in college ball, if Mack is on the outside on offense, then probably the biggest or 2nd biggest guy on the other team is out there also guarding him and allows for easier shots for [B]Cooley[/B] (including alley oops) and Wilderness and strong offensive rebounding..

Ok, I usually just ignore this, but it has happened too many times to just be a typo. Did we used to have a player named Cooley? Or was there a famous player at one time named Cooley? I’ve seen Coley’s name written “Cooley” well over a dozen times by different people, so I was wondering if there was a reason for that. The first few times I just assumed it was a basic typo, but I see it all the time now. Just wondering…

[QUOTE=Chisox17;332775]Ok, I usually just ignore this, but it has happened too many times to just be a typo. Did we used to have a player named Cooley? Or was there a famous player at one time named Cooley? I’ve seen Coley’s name written “Cooley” well over a dozen times by different people, so I was wondering if there was a reason for that. The first few times I just assumed it was a basic typo, but I see it all the time now. Just wondering…[/QUOTE]

There’s also a girl who’s a local sports reporter who calls him Cooley too (don’t remember which channel). [B]And she goes to UNCC!!![/B] :ticked:

[QUOTE=eason49;332732]It seemed like Lutz did actually try to bench Mack when he took stupid shots last year. His leash was relinquished towards the end of the year, but there were spurts when he tried, it seemed. Although Lutz did say that no shot is a bad shot.[/QUOTE]

I would like to think that its because of what happened with DA - from selfless to selfish when the times got rough.