College Football Playoff Expansion

Good read from Matt Brown of Extra Points:

Yeah so the top 6 leagues mean SEC and B10 are absolutely in. The B12 and ACC are usually in but isn’t a lock. The PAC, SBC and AAC have good shots yearly. If PAC gets destroyed they will have the clout now to raid MWC unless AAC can convince them that AAC is just as likely to land the spot as a new look PAC but with east coast time slots and money.

1 Like

Well, the aac will soon have schools like Charlotte dragging it down, so I wouldn’t pin my hopes on the aac being an equal. Torn apart is more likely.

The AAC has nice airports. :airplane:

2 Likes

The AAC better step up its game because many of the teams looked terrible this past weekend.

Aresco has a very good formula for getting schools to perform. I’m confident that we will see increased success in the AAC verses CUSA. Confrence leadership does matter.

3 Likes

clt says that is good news for us

More time for the SEC offer

The curious thing is to see what will be preferred - the big conf payout of the SEC but no shot at the CFP or a legit CFP shot and a lower conf payout.

1 Like

How are you feeling if you’re Oregon or Washington?

You just had 2 of your biggest competitors leave the league, and your TV contract is going to get reduced… BUT you also have a much more winnable conference and thereby an easier road to playoff money. The fans may rally behind this setup if you start stacking league titles and hosting playoff games in Eugene and Seattle.

As for us and the AAC, it’s a lifeline. And potentially even a double lifeline if say the MWC and AAC can both outperform one of the P5 leagues in a given year.

3 Likes

This is the type of access that could rip the bigger leagues apart at next tv contract. Of you are Oklahoma and aren’t making it to the CFP now but you are watching other “lesser” programs get in does that change your calculation?

1 Like

Good call.

The extra league TV money may suddenly look less palatable when schools from “lesser” leagues are consistently making the playoffs while you can’t get past Bama and Georgia for a shot.

Truth is, most of those at large bids are going to go to SEC and B1G teams, but I can still see a few programs on the margin from those leagues getting restless.

1 Like

What if the near future Oklahoma State makes the playoff more frequently than Oklahoma? Sure Oklahoma may get $80 million per year in TV money and Oklahoma State around $45 million but does the average bandwagon fan really care about TV deals or wins? Oklahoma has been at the top of the Big Eight/Big XII for decades now they’ll be the generally the 4th or 5th best in the SEC. Interesting to see how this plays out in the 12 team playoff format.

2 Likes