Complain to ESPN: "NC Charlotte" on National Television

[SIZE=2][COLOR=black]We got royally ****ed this time, guys.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]On the Sportscenter Top 10 plays… our #1 play was rewarded by our school being dubbed the infamous, hideous, disgusting, and filthy label: “NC Charlotte.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=black]When a local paper makes the mistake of no calling us by our incorrect name, that’s one thing. But when its on national television, that really burns. If we can completely bombard ESPN with complaints and e-mails, we might be able to get them to announce a correction on air. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Just click here and complain!!![/SIZE]
[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[SIZE=6][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][COLOR=black]Talking points:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE]
[COLOR=black]- First, I appreciate the coverage of the Charlotte Forty-Niners in the Sportscenter top 10…[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- But the official, correct and proper name of the athletics program is CHARLOTTE. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- The name change was made official over SEVEN years ago, on August 23, 2000.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][SIZE=6]Members who’ve taken the initiative![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=2]1. [B]gotlutz [/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2. [B]Jersey Niner32[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]3. [B]dax[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]4. [B]719er[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5. [B]jp49er[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]6. [B]ChampNiner[/B][/SIZE]
[B][/B]
[B][SIZE=2](Last updated November 30th @ 1:44am)[/SIZE][/B]

Don’t really care, just glad to be #1.

Don't really care, just glad to be #1.

Who ever told you Charlotte is #1?

Sportscenter.

sent.

[QUOTE]I would like to thank you for your coverage on our sports prgram. I’m writing to you about a name change that the Charlotte 49ers had on August 23, 2000. We officially dropped the UNC/NC off of the Athletic teams names. In today’s top 10 plays you referred to the school as NC-Charlotte. In the future if you could please just refer to us as Charlotte that would be greatly appreciated amongst Niner Nation fans in general. That way there is no confusion with other schools in the UNC system.[/QUOTE]

my response.

Sent.

I heard it as UNC Charlotte on ESPN. But I did just send it in.

It is funny, when we were actually on TV a good amount and we in CUSA, ESPN always called us Charlotte…

Sent.

Oh geez people, let it freakin’ go. They refer to us as Charlotte on ESPN all the time - the anchor screwed up once and said “UNC Charlotte,” but the clip ends with him saying “Charlotte wins.” I’m as pro-name change as anyone, but pick your battles.

Why don’t you guys complain to our marketing department? If they did a better job putting forth our product, then this wouldn’t be such an issue. Your gripes are going to the wrong places.

Oh geez people, let it freakin' go. They refer to us as Charlotte on ESPN all the time - the anchor screwed up once and said "UNC Charlotte," but the clip ends with him saying "Charlotte wins." I'm as pro-name change as anyone, but pick your battles.
Why don't you guys complain to our marketing department? If they did a better job putting forth our product, then this wouldn't be such an issue. Your gripes are going to the wrong places.

yes and yes.

I understand the hurt feelings, been there done that. After about 6 years of dealing with it, basically seeing that our admin enjoys the “UNC”, wastes 250K on “branding” but suggests no name change (despite the fact that the results show it would be helpful) and we have 4 different titles on clothing in the bookstore, its just simply nobody’s fault but ours.

Why don't you guys complain to our marketing department? If they did a better job putting forth our product, then this wouldn't be such an issue. Your gripes are going to the wrong places.

D - U - B - O - I - S

ESPN hasn’t made this mistake often. They’ve always been good about calling us Charlotte.

[QUOTE=switchfoot;272448]ESPN hasn’t made this mistake often. They’ve always been good about calling us Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was thinking so I’m not too pissed about this.

It depends on the anchor also. I know they’re reading copy, but some of them know that we are “Charlotte” and some of them are clueless. Linda Kohn seems to screw it up the most. Steve Levy and Reece Davis know what time it is.

they are sending my response to the right department now.

It didn’t help for name recorgnition when it’s on the Bobcats’ court. I’ll just deduct 2 bonus points for this error from ESPN.

Wow we suck.

Well all righty.