Conference Realignment (Part 1)

[quote=“9erken, post:2040, topic:23766”][quote=“NovaNiner, post:2038, topic:23766”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:2035, topic:23766”]Kind of sad:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/01/bmurphy/idaho_reacts_demise_wac_conference_realignment[/quote]

That’s sad, and the demise of the CAA is sad. But ODU is crazy not to be jumping at this.[/quote] This gets a little less attractive if ODU isn’t joining. The basketball program and proximity are both benefits for Charlotte.[/quote]

Even if the CAA loses ODU, VCU and GMU; I seriously doubt the conference collapses, even the football part. There’s a long list of Big South programs waiting to move in.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:2041, topic:23766”][quote=“9erken, post:2040, topic:23766”][quote=“NovaNiner, post:2038, topic:23766”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:2035, topic:23766”]Kind of sad:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/01/bmurphy/idaho_reacts_demise_wac_conference_realignment[/quote]

That’s sad, and the demise of the CAA is sad. But ODU is crazy not to be jumping at this.[/quote] This gets a little less attractive if ODU isn’t joining. The basketball program and proximity are both benefits for Charlotte.[/quote]

Even if the CAA loses ODU, VCU and GMU; I seriously doubt the conference collapses, even the football part. There’s a long list of Big South programs waiting to move in.[/quote]

Without ODU, VCU, and GMU the CAA might as well be the Big South.

[quote=“Normmm, post:2039, topic:23766”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2024, topic:23766”][quote=“TheShowDawg, post:2021, topic:23766”]This does not fit Judy’s original vision with ODU where you start out winning to build your fan base. We were reading about that right after the ODU visit where our staff went up to see how they handled everything. Just shows you how fluid this situation is. No one but the top dawg “big boys” can have a good feeling about your place in the landscape until this all stops.
[/quote]

I thought Judy said we would be everyone’s homecoming game for the first few years.[/quote]

You guys probably saw the presser. But they mentioned this obviously was not the original plan. That sometimes things jump into your lap that you have to take advantage of.[/quote]

Yep. Without the 4 CUSA teams leaving for the Big East, we don’t get this opportunity. I’m very grateful and we should be thankful.

ODU probably has a short leash to accept or CUSA moves on. Likely next target, MTSU, will accept quickly. Just waiting on offer. App State is not on the radar even in the highly unlikely event MTSU did not. League would then turn sites to FAU or South Alabama. Only way App gets in an another FBS league is if Sun Belt loses another member, and even then, they are plan B. An eastern WAC is a remote possibility, along with Jax St, Liberty and JMU — but NCAA continuity rules for members could relegate that league to having to reform and wait 6 years for automatic bids in sports. That’s a recruiting killer for schools in all sports. Plus it is a zero revenue scenario in terms of TV deals.

All that said, Charlotte was a key target for the CUSA expansion. ECU, Marshall and UAB were key supporters in getting us in. Conference officials spent a lot of time in Charlotte. When we left the league in 2005 it was very amicable breakup, and that didn’t hurt when this opportunity presented itself. Lot of goodwill between the key people involved, particularly Judy and Banowski, who have served on NCAA committees together.

From what I am reading on ODU, they have until June 30th to accept and accepting before June 1st means they lose playoff eligibility for this season.

They are apparently loaded for FCS this year and a title is possible. Would be pretty unfair to do that to the kids on the team when they can wait 3 more weeks to accept.

If ODU doesn’t accept, do you think they will move on to App?

A friend of mine who went to App, after I mentioned we were going to CUSA, gave the ol’, ‘I’m still waiting for App to go to the ACC.’ It’s cute because they believe it. But of course, he roots hard for one of the ACC teams, so that should tell you something.

See NinerJags comments:

ODU probably has a short leash to accept or CUSA moves on. Likely next target, MTSU, will accept quickly. Just waiting on offer. [b]App State is not on the radar even in the highly unlikely event MTSU did not[/b]. League would then turn sites to FAU or South Alabama. [b]Only way App gets in an another FBS league is if Sun Belt loses another member, and even then, they are plan B.[/b]

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7885805/regents-approve-ut-san-antonio-roadrunners-conference-usa

The regents unanimously approved the move Thursday. UTSA will incur no exit fees for leaving the WAC, and will pay a $2 million initiation fee to CUSA.

So we have to pay the A10 $1 Million to exit (possibly) and C-USA an additional $2 Million for initiation?

[quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:2049, topic:23766”]http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7885805/regents-approve-ut-san-antonio-roadrunners-conference-usa

The regents unanimously approved the move Thursday. UTSA will incur no exit fees for leaving the WAC, and will pay a $2 million initiation fee to CUSA.

So we have to pay the A10 $1 Million to exit (possibly) and C-USA an additional $2 Million for initiation?[/quote]

We’d likely pay both these fees through our part of both conferences’ revenue distributions to us.

Funny comment by an App State fan.

“And app state is not worried about recruiting against charlotte. App state has a pro appeal because it constantly sends 3-5 players to the nfl every year.”

:))

It’s hard to send players to the NFL without a team. Give us four FBS seasons and folks will lol when the hear App > Charlotte.

Plus playing in an NFL town. Makes coming to see players a little easier.

[quote=“Dowless, post:2051, topic:23766”]Funny comment by an App State fan.

“And app state is not worried about recruiting against charlotte. App state has a pro appeal because it constantly sends 3-5 players to the nfl every year.”

:))[/quote]

UNC-T fans are really “special” aren’t they. ::slight_smile: I also love how the SB “sucked so bad and was beneath them 3 months ago”, but now it will be the greatest FBS league out there (assuming their begging does indeed get them in).

[quote=“Dowless, post:2051, topic:23766”]Funny comment by an App State fan.

"And app state is not worried about recruiting against charlotte. App state has a pro appeal because it constantly sends 3-5 players to the nfl every year."

:))[/quote]

From their own website from 2011:

For the first time in school history, Appalachian State University had three players selected in the 2011 National Football League Draft.

Add one from this year.

What an idiot.

919R, what is UNCT? Wouldn’t App be UNCB?

UNC-Tweetsie

(kind of) off topic–just wrote about the whole name change/no name change deal.
http://49ergreen.com/news/2012/05/07/whats-in-a-name-the-university-of-charlotte-vs-unc-charlotte-question

[quote=“sydh, post:2058, topic:23766”](kind of) off topic–just wrote about the whole name change/no name change deal.
http://49ergreen.com/news/2012/05/07/whats-in-a-name-the-university-of-charlotte-vs-unc-charlotte-question[/quote]

Not bad…until the last line. You don’t want the name change??? >:(

[quote=“sydh, post:2058, topic:23766”](kind of) off topic–just wrote about the whole name change/no name change deal.
http://49ergreen.com/news/2012/05/07/whats-in-a-name-the-university-of-charlotte-vs-unc-charlotte-question[/quote]

Ironically, while reading your blog article about the name change issue, one of the pop up ads on your site was for “You may be interested in: UNC Recruiting” and featured a photo of a Tarhell baseball pitcher in baby blue!

Drop the UNC, drop the confusion!

Now back to the topic. I’m glad to be back in CUSA! Also, I have decided to change my view from being OK with sharing a conference with App to passionately desiring that they remain FCS F O R E V E R!