Conference Realignment (Part 1)

USC is a private school so they can do whatever they want can’t they? They are the flagship of their own system.

Southern Cal is indeed private. No SoCal system, though. Just the one school in LA.

Yeah i probably worded that wrong. What I meant is they aren’t part of another system so they are their own flagship.

Technically speaking they aren’t a flagship by definition. But as an independent, private institution, can do whatever they want as relates to athletics

Good for UCLA.

Does the PAC backfill now?

Can you imagine the uproar if NC State went to the SEC and had to pay Chapel Hill a “tax” to do so?

5 Likes

There’s no news about this right now, but I was talking about this with a non Niner fan, so why not.

We were discussing whether the PAC will break up / OU and UW will leave.

The argument for them leaving is, well, :moneybag:, plain and simple. Maybe some eats coast exposure too, but honestly, nahh, it’s just the bag.

Argument for staying? The CFP expansion makes conferences like the PAC far more attractive, especially on a long term basis. This was my position. Short term, I’ll admit, that payday is the winning argument. But long term? I contend that an easier path to the CFP, especially the CFP bye, will be the most valuable asset. Will the new PAC be strong enough to warrant one of the 4 byes? Tough call. But even the 5th ranked conference will host a home game against the weakest CFP entrant. Almost as good and you still get another high visibility, high $ home date. So maybe not the end of the world if you are reliably in that position at least.

On that basis, I think the PAC 12 will, most likely (call it 60/40 odds) expand back to 12. The scenarios I see are as follows (in order):

1. SDSU & Fresno State (recapture big Cali media markets - #27 & #55 in the country)

2. SDSU & Gonzaga (basketball only). This also does open the door for the Zags to one day in the future add football, though there appears to be no desire currently to do so. That’s why I would rank this one #2.

I think raiding the MWC further, including Boise State is unlikely. It’s probably slightly more, but still unlikely, that the PAC goes after Texas by adding SMU and whichever of UTSA, Rice and UNT tickles their fancy. I just don’t see these scenarios happening. However, of they do, you can all but guarantee these schools, including SMU, and maybe 3v3n the MWC schools like SDSU will have to take the same kind of initial reduced payout deal to get their PAC 12 invites. The bottom line will be protecting the payouts of the legacy members. The new members will only participate if the media rights contract is enhanced.

Anyway, thanks for attending my ted talk on this week in PAC 12 expansion.

It pac 12 raids the mwc, I’d like to see the aac go for csu and Boise.

As far as your scenarios go? I wouldn’t be surprised to see the pac 12 favor unlv over Fresno.

1 Like

That Vegas draw is powerful. I’d take UNLV in AAC happily. I’d like to see the AAC stay aggressive here and if the timing is right make a move early if dominos look like they may fall again.

I’d be happy with any combo of these four:

Csu
Boise
Unlv
Afa

My ideal combo would be Boise and unlv. Boise is solid in both hoops and football and unlv has big time hoops history. Solid destination for basketball tournament as well. Cheap and easy flights from anywhere in the conference.

CSU, Boise and UNLV would all be awesome. Throw in AF and thats a hell of an addition. Hell let’s bring in all 4 and get a jump on everyone going to 20.

Agreed Advocate. The lure of the better path the the playoff will keep the PAC together.

The biggest story in each year post 2023 is which G5 champ gets the playoff invite and can they position a team for an at large.

The mountain west and AAC are gonna be battling for that slot with the Sun Belt not far behind.

1 Like

Thats why raiding the MWC is a smart move. Kneecap them and take them out of competition for that spot. If PAC takes SDSU and maybe Fresno then the remaining PAC schools have to worry about making sure their conference schedule is strong enough to get the G5 consideration and to shore up our league as to make sure we don’t lose the western flank.

New CFP themes / annual discussion (in order, prior to “selection Sunday” for CFP):

1. Which teams / “power” leagues get the 4 byes

2. Which “power” conference gets the most at large invites

3. Maybe some more ego stroking about which leagues consistently host 1st round home games

4. Which G5 conference gets the guaranteed G5 slot

5. Whenever a 2nd G5 team is in conversation for an at large (in addition to the auto bid)

Look for whatever metrics that are used to determine at larges to be biased towards keeping a 2nd G5 program out of the dance.

Long play is for the top G5 league or two to elbow into discussions #1, #2 and #3 on a regular / recurring basis.

This is where having that ESPN contract is helpful. You know ESPN is going to be talking up the AAC and Sunbelt top teams as CFP worthy as it helps their ratings. MWC being west coast and tied to Fox is probably at a disadvantage here. Especially if they lose some top teams to PAC.

2 Likes

Raiding the MWC would be great IF the PAC actually makes a move. What keeps them from standing pat?