Conference Realignment (Part 1)

This does not fit Judy’s original vision with ODU where you start out winning to build your fan base. We were reading about that right after the ODU visit where our staff went up to see how they handled everything. Just shows you how fluid this situation is. No one but the top dawg “big boys” can have a good feeling about your place in the landscape until this all stops.

I for one am not convinced the BE will make it out of all of this like everyone expects where that could be our next step / stop upward. If BB breaks away and UL and one more go to greener pastures (which I expect) then it is hard to say how they will look. UCONN is begging the ACC and everyone will sell their souls for ND to join them.

I for one believe the “Alliance” will go thru in the future when all NCAA monies have been played out. If CUSA goes to 14 and MW ends up with 10 like it looks like it will, then we are at the 24 number that was originally stated as the merger number. If the “Alliance” does happen then you really have to look at the coverage area and strength of markets for status in the new collegiate landscape and the BE might not be the step up everyone thinks compared to CUSA / Alliance.

I like this for all sports except BB but our “fit” is so much better tha A10 that I can deal with it. We must really step up $upport to try and go the Memphis route for BB (not FB!!) and own that league. Memphis, Gonzaga, UNLV, VCU and SDSU have no problem with this route and I do not either if we are putting up 20+ wins every year and scheduling well OOC. I just wonder how Major fits into this. He was hired for A10 battles and CUSA will be a different animal.

Basketball will be fine, especially if there is any type of scheduling agreement with the MWC.

UNM, UNLV, Colorado State, and Utah State are all solid basketball programs.

Now that we know when we’re going to be FBS, we can hopefully land some FBS caliber recruits before taking the field next fall. With a few FBS players, we should match ODU’s win totals from their first two seasons of play and post a lot of W’s. Now, going back to what I said earlier, you can take your lumps in seasons 3 & 4 or seasons 5 & 6. Whenever you make the full transition to FBS, there will be some lumps to take. The fan base needs to understand this and not drop support while we get used to swimming in the deep end.

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:2021, topic:23766”]This does not fit Judy’s original vision with ODU where you start out winning to build your fan base. We were reading about that right after the ODU visit where our staff went up to see how they handled everything. Just shows you how fluid this situation is. No one but the top dawg “big boys” can have a good feeling about your place in the landscape until this all stops.
[/quote]

I thought Judy said we would be everyone’s homecoming game for the first few years.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2024, topic:23766”][quote=“TheShowDawg, post:2021, topic:23766”]This does not fit Judy’s original vision with ODU where you start out winning to build your fan base. We were reading about that right after the ODU visit where our staff went up to see how they handled everything. Just shows you how fluid this situation is. No one but the top dawg “big boys” can have a good feeling about your place in the landscape until this all stops.
[/quote]

I thought Judy said we would be everyone’s homecoming game for the first few years.[/quote]

I thought Judy said we would all still be passed out drunk on Sunday mornings on campus?

I think that was along the lines of “pay” games to abosrb some of the costs. Homecoming game = beatdown = $$ for the coffers.

I think Judy said we would NOT be everybody’s Homecoming game. That we were not planning to take guarantee games and trade a loss for the money.

We’ll $ee…

We may not trade a loss for the money, but we might trade a beatdown at BofA for attendance numbers.

No she said: “But I can tell you that we’ll be everybody’s homecoming game for a few years.”

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=27031.0

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=28590.msg503192#msg503192

JMU fans so pissed, the AD had to release an official statement on conference realignment:

http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?120314-Bourne-Public-Statement

Someone’s inbox was FULL!

ODU to CUSA Update

dumb.

It does make you wonder how much extra we are going to pay for the jump.

The increase in tuition/fees is always the first thing that comes up when anyone mentions football in a class discussion about it. From non-supporters and supports alike.

That might come up in the press conference tomorrow.

Kind of sad:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/01/bmurphy/idaho_reacts_demise_wac_conference_realignment

Talking to a buddy here in HK who’s an App State alum (there are a ton of them here incidently) his response to this news…“It’s ok, we passed on this because the ACC wants us.” …rrriiiiiiiiiiight

I heard the Canadian NCAA was looking to add App St. :))

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:2035, topic:23766”]Kind of sad:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/01/bmurphy/idaho_reacts_demise_wac_conference_realignment[/quote]

That’s sad, and the demise of the CAA is sad. But ODU is crazy not to be jumping at this.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2024, topic:23766”][quote=“TheShowDawg, post:2021, topic:23766”]This does not fit Judy’s original vision with ODU where you start out winning to build your fan base. We were reading about that right after the ODU visit where our staff went up to see how they handled everything. Just shows you how fluid this situation is. No one but the top dawg “big boys” can have a good feeling about your place in the landscape until this all stops.
[/quote]

I thought Judy said we would be everyone’s homecoming game for the first few years.[/quote]

You guys probably saw the presser. But they mentioned this obviously was not the original plan. That sometimes things jump into your lap that you have to take advantage of.

[quote=“NovaNiner, post:2038, topic:23766”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:2035, topic:23766”]Kind of sad:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/01/bmurphy/idaho_reacts_demise_wac_conference_realignment[/quote]

That’s sad, and the demise of the CAA is sad. But ODU is crazy not to be jumping at this.[/quote] This gets a little less attractive if ODU isn’t joining. The basketball program and proximity are both benefits for Charlotte.