Conference Realignment (Part 1)

YES we are freakin’ lucky! ENJOY the moment!! Savor the time. It will only continue to get better, but maybe not as fast as some of us would like. Relax and float downstream for now, y’all. For me, all of this is AWESOMELY AMAZING! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Agree with 49er1. I feel like we took 2 steps backward with the A10 and our basketball program, but then took 3 giant steps forward with our move to CUSA.

I don’t think it could be stated any better than that. I can’t fathom any realistic major changes on the immediate horizon.

The AD hasn’t just corrected the ship, they’ve found an gust of wind in the right direction. As fans, we can just relax and cheer on our teams for a while. How refreshing.

ODU joining CUSA.

Press Conference at 2.

Heard they might be joining CUSA immediately like VCU did with the A10.

Conference USA
[ul][li]East CarolinaStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]HoustonStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]MarshallStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]MemphisStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]RiceStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]Southern MethodistStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]Southern MissStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]TulaneStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]TulsaStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]UABStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]UCFStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]UTEPStats | Schedule | Roster[/li][/ul]
Really ESPN? You haven’t updated C-USA FB yet?

CBSsportsline.com is the same thing.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:2086, topic:23766”]Conference USA
[ul][li] East CarolinaStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] HoustonStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] MarshallStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] MemphisStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] RiceStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] Southern MethodistStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] Southern MissStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] TulaneStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] TulsaStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] UABStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] UCFStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li] UTEPStats | Schedule | Roster[/li][/ul]
Really ESPN? You haven’t updated C-USA FB yet?[/quote]

Last I checked, it wasn’t 2013 yet.

…but I don’t check often.

As soon as it was announced, major news sites should update their websites, Hooner.

[left]Subject: Letter from President Broderick[/left]
[left]Dear Colleague, [/left]
[left]Over the last few weeks, many of you have read or heard about the changing landscape of college athletic conference membership, including opportunities presented to Old Dominion University.[/left]

[left]University administrators have performed considerable due diligence in examining the impact an NCAA football reclassification and conference change could have on the university, overall student body and athletic programs, in particular, ensuring that such a move could be made without an increase in student fees.[/left]

[left]Following a detailed briefing to the board, which expressed support, and other constituents, Old Dominion University is pleased to enter into a membership agreement with Conference USA, effective July 1, 2013. [/left]

[left]While the university was not actively seeking a change, recent events necessitated an earlier consideration of our future, and in particular, for our football program. C-USA’s invitation provided the right opportunity at the right time to reclassify our football program and broaden the national footprint of our athletic program. [/left]

[left]C-USA members include East Carolina, Rice, Tulane Tulsa, Marshall, Florida International, North Texas and Louisiana Tech universities and the universities of North Carolina Charlotte, Southern Mississippi, Alabama at Birmingham, Texas at El Paso, and Texas at San Antonio.[/left]

[left]I want to express my appreciation to our Colonial Athletic Association member schools, which over the years provided great competition and lively rivalries. I especially want to thank Commissioner Tom Yeager for his leadership and friendship to both Old Dominion and me personally.[/left]

[left]While we will no longer be a member of the CAA after next year, we hope to schedule athletic competitions with many of the league’s member schools and our non-conference schedule will be more regional than in the past.[/left]

[left]As we moved through this process, I was encouraged by the wide-spread and broad-based support we received from all constituencies, both within and outside the ODU community, for a possible move to the C-USA. Similar to the enthusiasm we experienced when we started football, we have already received commitments of more than $3 million in private support for the move, and our fundraising will continue through the summer. This philanthropic support enables us to join Conference USA without increasing student fees, which was a critical factor for the board and me.[/left]

[left]While many details still need finalization, Athletic Director Dr. Wood Selig and his staff will work diligently to ensure that programs whose sports championships fall outside the C-USA footprint will be accommodated and enhanced. We will provide more information in the coming days and weeks on the specifics of that and other elements the move will necessitate.[/left]

[left]In closing, I want to thank our coaches and student athletes, whose excellence on the playing field and in the classroom over the years put Old Dominion University in the position to make a move of this magnitude. We have a first-rate athletic program and joining Conference USA makes it possible for our Monarchs to reach even greater heights. [/left]

[left]Sincerely,[/left]

[left]John R. Broderick[/left]

[left]President[/left]

We won’t actually be playing football in C-USA until 2015. Youv’e got to be patient.

Go read your Manifesto again.

Could he have possibly stated that list in a weirder way?

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:2086, topic:23766”]Conference USA
[ul][li]East CarolinaStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]HoustonStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]MarshallStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]MemphisStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]RiceStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]Southern MethodistStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]Southern MissStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]TulaneStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]TulsaStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]UABStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]UCFStats | Schedule | Roster [/li]
[li]UTEPStats | Schedule | Roster[/li][/ul]
Really ESPN? You haven’t updated C-USA FB yet?

CBSsportsline.com is the same thing.[/quote]

None of the other conferences that are adding new members have been updated yet either, even the ones who will actually be playing in those conferences this coming season. The updates for the upcoming season don’t usually take place until July. As other have said, you’ll have to channel your impatience for three more years.

clt says odu just took app states spot!!!

Andy Katz says with VCU and ODU leaving that is CAA should now go after Davidson and College of Charleston to provide the conference with the ability to be more than a one bid league. Interesting to see how that plays out.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7941382/old-dominion-monarchs-leaving-colonial-athletic-association-conference-usa

I feel like the socon should be proactive and grab up the broken CAA pieces that fit their mold. JMU(App rival) would be a good pick up for them, as would W&M(simuliar to davidson) and UNCW(matches well with C of C). SOCON looks stronger than CAA now across the board.

[quote=“Niner National, post:2080, topic:23766”][quote=“X-49er, post:2079, topic:23766”][quote=“Niner National, post:2078, topic:23766”]Off the topic a bit, but Run, that quote in your signature is f***ing stupid. Staying in a CAA that is almost always a 1 bid league after its best team leaves is an awful idea.

CUSA is still good enough to get an at large, the new CAA will never be.[/quote]

Katz should know that this isn’t a basketball move, anyway. He’s not completely off base (because CUSA is losing its best team too), but this move is about being in a better spot for the next move. ODU can’t make that next move if they stay in the CAA, and I’m not sure if Katz gets that or not.[/quote]even without looking ahead to the next move cusa is still a better option. A CAA without VCU is a 1 bid league 100% of the time. CUSA will probably be 1 bid most seasons too, but at least you get FBS football and an upgrade in virtually all other sports. You get a better tv deal and more conference revenue. Its a no brainer.[/quote]

The CAA only got more than 1 bid 5 times in almost 30 years. Recent success, not withstanding, the CAA was a 1 bid league.
As for our move, we can talk all we want about X, but Temple was the flagship school in the A-10. We got out when the getting was good.

I agree about Temple being the flagship school. Xavier has had recent success, but Temple’s success has been successful for a long time.

[quote=“49r9r, post:2097, topic:23766”]I agree about Temple being the flagship school. Xavier has had recent success, but Temple’s success has been successful for a long time.[/quote]and Xavier’s hasn’t? Xavier has made the NCAA tournament 21 times in the last 30 years, just like Temple.

I don’t think you can definitively label either the flagship.

[quote=“Niner National, post:2098, topic:23766”][quote=“49r9r, post:2097, topic:23766”]I agree about Temple being the flagship school. Xavier has had recent success, but Temple’s success has been successful for a long time.[/quote]and Xavier’s hasn’t? Xavier has made the NCAA tournament 21 times in the last 30 years, just like Temple.

I don’t think you can definitively label either the flagship.[/quote]

Xavier has only been in the league since 1995 though.

We need to become the flagship of CUSA mens basketball.