Conference Realignment (Part 1)

FIXED

Gooby pls!

Flagship of CUSA Basketball? Again?

Of course, it will be difficult to pass ECU this time around. I understand that Lebo guy has built a dynasty.

Storm clouds on our horizon:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-18/sec-big-12-bowl-game-college-football-future-realignment-change-landscape-game#ixzz1vJYyOkDV

[size=1em]Was inevitable. I donā€™t know how all this will work but based on my understanding for the voting system if the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, Big 12 and ND are yes votes thereā€™s no real way to stop it. [/size]

[size=1em]Whatā€™s interesting is what happens to the ACC if Florida St, Miam, VaTech and ClemPson bolt the ACC. The ACC will come calling to a number of CUSA teams I imagine. Could we eventually see us in the ACC?[/size]

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:2078, topic:23766ā€]Off the topic a bit, but Run, that quote in your signature is f***ing stupid. Staying in a CAA that is almost always a 1 bid league after its best team leaves is an awful idea.

CUSA is still good enough to get an at large, the new CAA will never be.[/quote]NN, Katzā€™s quote is in reference to ODUā€™s move to C-USA versus what a move to the A-10 would have meant for Monarch hoops. Heā€™s basically saying ODU is trading a one-bid league (CAA) for another one-bid league (C-USA), which is correct.

Of course, ODU probably becomes the flagship hoops program in C-USA just based on what the Monarchs have accomplished as of late with NCAA bids in 2005, 2007, 2010, and 2011.

[quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:2105, topic:23766ā€][size=1em]Was inevitable. I donā€™t know how all this will work but based on my understanding for the voting system if the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, Big 12 and ND are yes votes thereā€™s no real way to stop it. [/size]

[size=1em]Whatā€™s interesting is what happens to the ACC if Florida St, Miam, VaTech and ClemPson bolt the ACC. The ACC will come calling to a number of CUSA teams I imagine. Could we eventually see us in the ACC?[/size][/quote]

Judy once told me a number of years ago, before football was even approved, that her ultimate vision for our AD was the ACC. I brushed it off then, but what youā€™re saying makes some sense. I get a hard-on just thinking about the comments on the observer stoā€¦I meanā€¦gold mine entry.

[quote=ā€œjfickett, post:2107, topic:23766ā€][quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:2105, topic:23766ā€][size=1em]Was inevitable. I donā€™t know how all this will work but based on my understanding for the voting system if the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, Big 12 and ND are yes votes thereā€™s no real way to stop it. [/size]

[size=1em]Whatā€™s interesting is what happens to the ACC if Florida St, Miam, VaTech and ClemPson bolt the ACC. The ACC will come calling to a number of CUSA teams I imagine. Could we eventually see us in the ACC?[/size][/quote]

Judy once told me a number of years ago, before football was even approved, that her ultimate vision for our AD was the ACC. I brushed it off then, but what youā€™re saying makes some sense. I get a hard-on just thinking about the comments on the observer stoā€¦I meanā€¦gold mine entry.[/quote]

Iā€™m still going to brush this aside. When Chapel Hill, NC State and Duke leave the ACC let me know and then Iā€™ll think our ACC chances have improved.

I agree itā€™s a long shot but football is driving the bus and none of those 3 are worth taking for anyone. Especially Duke and the Tar Holes. Those 3 will all be left behind if the shakeups happen.

I envision those merging with whatā€™s left of the Big East. Football will suck but it would make for one heck of a basketball league.

[quote=ā€œRun49er, post:2106, topic:23766ā€][quote=ā€œNiner National, post:2078, topic:23766ā€]Off the topic a bit, but Run, that quote in your signature is f***ing stupid. Staying in a CAA that is almost always a 1 bid league after its best team leaves is an awful idea.

CUSA is still good enough to get an at large, the new CAA will never be.[/quote][b]NN, Katzā€™s quote is in reference to ODUā€™s move to C-USA versus what a move to the A-10 would have meant for Monarch hoops. Heā€™s basically saying ODU is trading a one-bid league (CAA) for another one-bid league (C-USA), which is correct.

[/b]Of course, ODU probably becomes the flagship hoops program in C-USA just based on what the Monarchs have accomplished as of late with NCAA bids in 2005, 2007, 2010, and 2011.[/quote]

I dont understand this ā€œassumptionā€. There is absolutely no reason to assume the 2013+ C-USA will necessarily be a 1-bid league. ODU, USM, UAB and Charlotte are all programs that have received at-large bids in the last 10 years while members of similar or even weaker leagues. Not to mention several teams that seem to be on the rise (ie; Marshall, UNT) and others who have had some national success at different times in their history (ie; UTEP, Tulane).

I knew the ACC was likely to take a hit with FSU and/or Clemson leaving. But had no idea they might fall apart completely:
http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/fsu-to-the-big-12-it-is-inevitable/

I guess I havenā€™t been playing close enough attention. Of course, a whole bunch of people said the Big 12 would fall apart a couple years ago, and it didnā€™t. So weā€™ll have to wait and see what happens. If NCSU leaves for the SEC, that would certainly challenge the ACCā€™s dominance of NC. I also wonder if it might make it less likely to see Charlotte added in the distant (if ever) future.

Also, I donā€™t see why the Big 10 would add Duke. I could see the argument of Chapel Hill, though their football team has been a fiasco for most of its existence. But what does Duke bring in football? I suppose itā€™s kind of similar to Northwestern in a lot of ways, without being the only major conference school in a major market but with a lot more basketball success.

Carolina would find a home if the ACC were ever to fall apart. I think Wake and Duke could be screwed though.

How much of this did Swofford bring on himself and his league by repeatedly raiding the Big East?

Weā€™re not going to the ACC.
FSU, Clemson and Tech should bolt. If I was the big 12, Iā€™d also go after USF to further claim the Florida market against the SEC (Miami alone is doesnā€™t matter).
I then see the Big 10 make a play for Va. Tech and UNC leaving the ACC castrated.
Big losers will be Miami and NC State. Duke will be OK because they donā€™t care about football.

As for us ever going to the ACC. We sound like App idiods even thinking about it.

Could we find ourselves in the ACC? Highly unlikely - but given how realignment is gone anything is possible. On one side I donā€™t see Chapel Hill bailing on the ACC or Duke. I just get the feeling that they will always think they can survive. Honestly if Clemson and FSU leave I think the league would just keep going - bring in Rutgers and UCONN. USF could pop up on their radar losing FSU. NC State is is the interesting player in all of this IMO. Their A&M like departure could really get everyone nervous. Ironically the additions and loss playing Chapel Hill could hasten their departure.

Will be interesting to see how things shake down. I do think we are tied at the hip with ECU from here on out.

[quote=ā€œTintin, post:2114, topic:23766ā€]Weā€™re not going to the ACC.
FSU, Clemson and Tech should bolt. If I was the big 12, Iā€™d also go after USF to further claim the Florida market against the SEC (Miami alone is doesnā€™t matter).
I then see the Big 10 make a play for Va. Tech and UNC leaving the ACC castrated.
Big losers will be Miami and NC State. Duke will be OK because they donā€™t care about football.

As for us ever going to the ACC. We sound like App idiods even thinking about it.[/quote]I actually meant joining the SEC, but was thinking more 30 or more years from now when who knows what college football and basketball will look like, and tacked on the ā€œif everā€ because it sounded pretty ridiculous to me too. The ACC will likely never add Charlotte as long as either Chapel hill, Duke, and/or NCSU are still in it.

Duke may not care about football, but they may also end up in a crappy conference as a result of it (or maybe the A10!). This was almost Kansasā€™ fate when the Big 12 demise seemed imminent.

This is all interesting stuff but sadly I think this could only be bad news for Charlotte. If the ACC as it is begins to die, the teams in it will not leave the ACC for another conference. They will take teams from the Big East. The BE will turn to C-USA, and C-USA will be left licking the bottom of the barrel for nourishment. Thus weakening the C-USA even further than it was.

The only way this turns out as a good thing for us, is if the ACC just DIES. If it just ceases to be, then maybe we could pick up Wake, Virginia, BC, or Maryland. Although why those schools go to C-USA instead of the BE I have no idea. Its nice to think about though. ;D

This is great news for us. The acc has burned lots of schools and it is coming back to them. Their new uncertainty is better for our recruiting. The acc wonā€™t die, but no one believes they are as great as they want you to believe. A weakened acc gives us strength. This craziness canā€™t continue forever. When the dust settles, we will still have football and will be capable of fielding the best football team in the state on an up year. F acc and F the disturber

[quote=ā€œHonest Niner, post:2117, topic:23766ā€]This is all interesting stuff but sadly I think this could only be bad news for Charlotte. If the ACC as it is begins to die, the teams in it will not leave the ACC for another conference. They will take teams from the Big East. The BE will turn to C-USA, and C-USA will be left licking the bottom of the barrel for nourishment. Thus weakening the C-USA even further than it was.

The only way this turns out as a good thing for us, is if the ACC just DIES. If it just ceases to be, then maybe we could pick up Wake, Virginia, BC, or Maryland. Although why those schools go to C-USA instead of the BE I have no idea. Its nice to think about though. ;D[/quote]The BE will look west. It will rob the MWC if it can.

The ACC will definitely attempt to take on UConn and Rutgers. If the ACC loses only two schools, it will be fine. UConn and Rutgers will fill in nicely. If it loses 4+, that conference is on par with the BE and CUSA for football.

Weā€™re definitely seeing a consolidation into 4 power conferences. The middle tier will be the BE, ACC, MWC, and CUSA. The MAC and SBC will fall into the lower tier.

We have no shot at the ACC. BE is still a mild possibility if the BE gets raided again, but I think it is fairly unlikely at this point.

For now, Iā€™ll just enjoy the fact that weā€™ll get to play ECU, Marshall, ODU, and UAB.

[quote=ā€œJaMiNNiNeR, post:2094, topic:23766ā€]Andy Katz says with VCU and ODU leaving that is CAA should now go after Davidson and College of Charleston to provide the conference with the ability to be more than a one bid league. Interesting to see how that plays out.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7941382/old-dominion-monarchs-leaving-colonial-athletic-association-conference-usa[/quote]Well, that makes good sense considering SoCon (which is where those two teams currently are) has been a one bid league since 2000 and CAA is losing two of their best bball teams. VCU and ODU are two of the only three teams they have had make the tournament in the last 6 years from CAA. Oh and CoC hasnā€™t danced since 1999.