Conference Realignment (Part 1)

I still don’t know why Davidson doesn’t switch to SoCon for FB. Pioneer is sh1t.

Its called football scholarships, Davidson doesn’t offer them and the Pioneer doesn’t require them, SoCon does.

I can see unc bailing on the acc to save their skins.
If fsu, ga tech, and Clemson bail, replacing them with Pitt, Syracuse, rutgers, and uconn is a massive downgrade in every way. I think you’ll see school slitting each others throats to save themselves.

The acc is already the #5 or #6 football conference. The individual schools know that those three cannot be replaced. Wake and Duke are not significant football players. State and unc will have to split up to move. No conference will take them both.

The ironic thing is that the acc started all this crap in 2004 by poaching Miami, Va tech, and bc to play a a championship game and get more bcs appearances. They will now likely be irrelevant in football and would have been better to stay at 9 and be a kick ass basketball conference.

I get the Big 12 helping to pay FSU’s exit fee, but who will cover Clemson’s?

Do they really have that much money?

Talked to a Clemson grad in the office (big fan, IPTAY member, etc.) and he says a lot of this is being driven because of the ACC’s “ho-hum” approach to Chapel Hill’s football violations. In the past Clemson was made an example of but there’s been nothing additional tacked on to UNC-CH.

The money’s an issue, but I think the blatant favoritism towards the light blues is the main driver. Of course, the grass isn’t so green in the Big 12 either, that is UT’s conference.

There is absolutely no way UNC, Duke, and NC State give up those 2 basketball games against each other. Basketball is their bread and butter they won’t destroy that for their average football programs.

Part of that has started to happen with expansion to 14. NCSU/UNCCH will no longer play 2x every year. I would start to be worried about Duke post Coach K. How much value will be there without him?

NC State has already lost their 2 games against Chapel Hill. - They get home and home with Wake and Chapel Hill gets home and home with Duke.

Apex beat me to it!

If Chapel Hill ever leaves the ACC it will be a desperation move, because you don’t ever leave a conference where you are top dog and call the shots, ask Texas.

Part of that has started to happen with expansion to 14. NCSU/UNCCH will no longer play 2x every year. I would start to be worried about Duke post Coach K. How much value will be there without him?[/quote]

You guys know waaaay too much about the ACC :stuck_out_tongue:

This is why the ACC shouldn’t have looked down their noses at WVU. They would have been a good fit.

Regardless, I don’t see them dissolving. I don’t believe GT is going anywhere. So at most it might be FSU, Clemson and NCSU. As others have said, UConn, Rutgers, UL and even possibly ND are still possible replacement candidates.

[quote=“Normmm, post:2130, topic:23766”]This is why the ACC shouldn’t have looked down their noses at WVU. They would have been a good fit.

Regardless, I don’t see them dissolving. I don’t believe GT is going anywhere. So at most it might be FSU, Clemson and NCSU. As others have said, UConn, Rutgers, UL and even possibly ND are still possible replacement candidates.[/quote]

The real question is if the BE loses some mix of UL, UCONN, USF, Memphis, Rutgers - do we stand a shot at getting in? Does the combo of ECU and Charlotte bring enough to the table?

CUSA 1.5 in BE 5.0?

I really, really, really don’t think we go anywhere without ECU.

They have football tradition, but no market.

We have market, but no football tradition.

For better or for worse, I think we are a package from this point forward.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:2132, topic:23766”]I really, really, really don’t think we go anywhere without ECU.

They have football tradition, but no market.

We have market, but no football tradition.

For better or for worse, I think we are a package from this point forward.[/quote]

Agree 100% and I actually love it. One of the main things our athletics have always been missing is a true rival - one who who play in all sports. I really think we can build this with ECU to something special.

Pretty interesting read from within the MTSU camp…

http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/20120520/BLUERAIDERS01/305200053/SPECIAL-REPORT-CONFERENCE-REALIGNMENT-MTSU-emails-make-Case-CUSA?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2131, topic:23766”][quote=“Normmm, post:2130, topic:23766”]This is why the ACC shouldn’t have looked down their noses at WVU. They would have been a good fit.

Regardless, I don’t see them dissolving. I don’t believe GT is going anywhere. So at most it might be FSU, Clemson and NCSU. As others have said, UConn, Rutgers, UL and even possibly ND are still possible replacement candidates.[/quote]

The real question is if the BE loses some mix of UL, UCONN, USF, Memphis, Rutgers - do we stand a shot at getting in? Does the combo of ECU and Charlotte bring enough to the table?

CUSA 1.5 in BE 5.0?[/quote]

I think the real question is if all of that happens, will the BE even be that much different than CUSA? For bball I suppose it will still be better. But for football IDK.

That’s why I was so bummed when the SEC decided to expand now. Instead of maybe 5 years from now. It seemed that when the PAC decided to expand that maybe there wasn’t going to be too much aftershock. But once the SEC decided to do it too, you figured there would be more of a trickle down affect. Ultimately leaving the BE out of the big 6 conferences.

[quote=“Normmm, post:2135, topic:23766”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2131, topic:23766”][quote=“Normmm, post:2130, topic:23766”]This is why the ACC shouldn’t have looked down their noses at WVU. They would have been a good fit.

I think the real question is if all of that happens, will the BE even be that much different than CUSA? For bball I suppose it will still be better. But for football IDK.

That’s why I was so bummed when the SEC decided to expand now. Instead of maybe 5 years from now. It seemed that when the PAC decided to expand that maybe there wasn’t going to be too much aftershock. But once the SEC decided to do it too, you figured there would be more of a trickle down affect. Ultimately leaving the BE out of the big 6 conferences.[/quote]If all those schools left, I don’t think the basketball only schools would be too happy. My guess is that Georgetown, St. Johns, Marquette, and Seton Hall would all try to join the A10.

I guess they could split away and invite some A10 teams, but it seems like it’d be easier for them to just join the A10. The A10 could then push UMass to join the BE since they have football aspirations and a few of the lesser schools could be “encouraged” to join conferences like the CAA, Horizon, MAAC, or NEC.

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2012/5/21/3033668/virginia-tech-acc-marriage-will-soon-be-sour#storyjump

I wish we were starting 1A football in 2013 and not 2015.

I wish we started in 1990 and not 2013.

[quote=“Niner National, post:2136, topic:23766”][quote=“Normmm, post:2135, topic:23766”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2131, topic:23766”][quote=“Normmm, post:2130, topic:23766”]This is why the ACC shouldn’t have looked down their noses at WVU. They would have been a good fit.

That’s why I was so bummed when the SEC decided to expand now. Instead of maybe 5 years from now. It seemed that when the PAC decided to expand that maybe there wasn’t going to be too much aftershock. But once the SEC decided to do it too, you figured there would be more of a trickle down affect. Ultimately leaving the BE out of the big 6 conferences.[/quote]If all those schools left, I don’t think the basketball only schools would be too happy. My guess is that Georgetown, St. Johns, Marquette, and Seton Hall would all try to join the A10.

I guess they could split away and invite some A10 teams, but it seems like it’d be easier for them to just join the A10. The A10 could then push UMass to join the BE since they have football aspirations and a few of the lesser schools could be “encouraged” to join conferences like the CAA, Horizon, MAAC, or NEC.[/quote]

My guess though is St Johns, Gtown, Providence, Seton hall are all pretty attached to the Big East name just as Chapel Hill and Duke are pretty attached to the ACC. It would take massive problems in one or the other conferences to facilitate those schools leaving conferences that they founded. Given BC and Cuse took off…