Conference Realignment (Part 1)

The remaining Big East schools, even if there were only 3 of them, would invite schools from the A10 to join the Big East under that name, not the other way around. The Big East name has considerable pull in the college basketball world.

I don’t think there will be much surprise if FSU, VPI, Clemson, and/or Miami bolt to a better football conference if given a chance.

I’ve also seen GT and NCSU mentioned. I think GT is less likely. To me, the big question is State. Will they move up in football and wave bye to the other “Big 4” schools.

I bet GT wishes they never left SEC.

Ironically I think the ACC expansion, resulting in them losing their home and home with Chapel Hill could very easily push them to leave. If the reason you are staying is to maintain that connection, but the other side doesn’t respect that then what is the point. They might be hitting an A&M point of view - where they see the best thing that can do is get away.

Ironically I think the ACC expansion, resulting in them losing their home and home with Chapel Hill could very easily push them to leave. If the reason you are staying is to maintain that connection, but the other side doesn’t respect that then what is the point. They might be hitting an A&M point of view - where they see the best thing that can do is get away.[/quote]

It seems to me that State needs UNC much more than UNC needs State.
I don’t understand why the SEC or B12 or whoever wouldn’t try to poach the Heels.

[quote=“Tintin, post:2145, topic:23766”]It seems to me that State needs UNC much more than UNC needs State.
I don’t understand why the SEC or B12 or whoever wouldn’t try to poach the Heels.[/quote]

Too dirty even for the SEC? ;D

IMO its because Chapel Hill won’t leave Duke and the SEC has no need for Duke - they already have that in Vandy.

Ironically I think the ACC expansion, resulting in them losing their home and home with Chapel Hill could very easily push them to leave. If the reason you are staying is to maintain that connection, but the other side doesn’t respect that then what is the point. They might be hitting an A&M point of view - where they see the best thing that can do is get away.[/quote]

It seems to me that State needs UNC much more than UNC needs State.
I don’t understand why the SEC or B12 or whoever wouldn’t try to poach the Heels.[/quote]

Chapel Hill is the #1 ACC school in influence, nothing happens in the ACC without their approval. I’m not sure that Chapel Hill would be in the top 4 in influence in either of those two conferences, plus basketball is their primary concern. I think State would be more receptive to other conferences’ overtures simply to get out of Chapel Hill’s shadow (ala A&M).

Tin Tin, if State would jump to a football conference, they would no longer need chapel hill for anything.

I have not seen UNC-chapel hill mentioned in any conference expansion scenario, but I have seen State’s name mentioned.

BE is toast and have believed that for a long while. CUSA / MW merger has a chance with a well run conference and commitment to Athletics to fill the void. The whole landscape is changing and old thoughts about conferences need to be thrown out the window.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19116172/while-the-big-east-continues-to-change-league-officials-stress-unity

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:2149, topic:23766”]BE is toast and have believed that for a long while. CUSA / MW merger has a chance with a well run conference and commitment to Athletics to fill the void. The whole landscape is changing and old thoughts about conferences need to be thrown out the window.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19116172/while-the-big-east-continues-to-change-league-officials-stress-unity[/quote]No merger is occurring.

Reps on both sides have confirmed that.

There may be scheduling agreements, but nothing more than that.

Alliance will happen. Just not right now.

Who can say what’s next in conference realignment? The best thing for us is that we now have the FBS label and can get serious consideration to move up again if things fall apart in a top league.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:2132, topic:23766”]I really, really, really don’t think we go anywhere without ECU.

They have football tradition, but no market.

We have market, but no football tradition.

For better or for worse, I think we are a package from this point forward.[/quote]

This is spot on, Lew. I honestly believe that if both schools know what is best for them, they will stick together. I know many of us don’t see it in basketball, just as many of them don’t see it in football. This rivalry will form quickly and benefit both parties.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19132507/florida-state-was-supposed-to-save-acc-but-instead-its-killing-it

That seems inevitable in this new era college football, where the end game is for the six BCS leagues to condense into four super-conferences and break away from the NCAA. That has been the plan for years, and it’s starting to happen – just not in the way most of us envisioned. Most folks assumed the ACC would be one of those four surviving leagues. We knew the Big East would go away

Serves the ACC and Swofford right if this comes about. That first shot fired pissed a lot of people off.

I remember having lunch with Real49er back around 1999 and he told us this super conference break away would happen one day. Was hard to compreehnd back then but big time power brokers always set plans in motion long before you expect it and then you are always caught 2 steps behind them and no way to leverage their actions (I will not lead into the financial reality that is also being created right now).

The only thing that worries me is if the big boys do break away with football then it looks like basketball will rise up in the NCAA again since that is where their money is (BCS controlled the football money). If basketball takes back some of its power because of the breakaway then we are moving away from basketball at an interesting time.

it is obvious App State is holding out to be the ACC’s savior. How can you be so blind not to see this.

It will be interesting - if they break free for football it will prob be for all sports. The loss of the March Madness and the impact of scholls not having ANY chance at competing for a national title could and will result in multiple legal challenges. I can 100% see something like this being tried and I can def see it being shot down.

Insane - but the guys on 730 were debating this point at lunch today while I was out getting lunch.

It will be interesting - if they break free for football it will prob be for all sports. The loss of the March Madness and the impact of scholls not having ANY chance at competing for a national title could and will result in multiple legal challenges. I can 100% see something like this being tried and I can def see it being shot down. [/quote]

Who are these schools going to pad their schedules with, football or basketball?

Publicly funded, tax-exempt institutions financially damaging other publicly funded, tax-exempt institutions? Someone in the IRS or Congress will get real noisy real quick.

A couple of these guys are App grads and the local sports talking heads in general are clueless on national issues. Any ACC configuration App would be considered for would not be close to the current ACC we know. A lot of bad things would have to happen to the ACC to make App in the ACC a reality

Why would App join the ACC when they are an obvious choice for the next SEC Expansion?

Pshh, why mess around with the SEC when they are an obvious choice for the NFC South?

Pshh, why mess around with the SEC when they are an obvious choice for the NFC South?[/quote]

They do have enough Pro quality players, from what I hear they send half the team to the Superbowl every year.