Conference Realignment (Part 1)

From Luke Winn…

SI.com: By The Numbers: Big East, Pac-12 take hits as realignment rages on

Pretty sure this isnt good for App State

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-23/sun-belt-commissioner-karl-benson-says-league-not-an-option-for-idaho-new-mexico

[quote=“Run49er, post:2161, topic:23766”]From Luke Winn…

SI.com: By The Numbers: Big East, Pac-12 take hits as realignment rages on[/quote]

Holy God, those are some depressing looking graphs for CUSA basketball. Hopefully, it doesn’t pan out that way going forward. We’ll see I suppose.

It will be interesting - if they break free for football it will prob be for all sports. The loss of the March Madness and the impact of scholls not having ANY chance at competing for a national title could and will result in multiple legal challenges. I can 100% see something like this being tried and I can def see it being shot down.

Insane - but the guys on 730 were debating this point at lunch today while I was out getting lunch.[/quote]

A seperation won’t happen. The ACC and Big East aren’t going to say “It’s OK if you leave us behind in football, but we’re there if you need us in basketball”.
It’s an all or nothing thing.
If I’m the Big Four football conferences, I grab the football schools and bigger unerversity’s, set up a football playoff and then hold the status quo in basketball. They’d get the split they want without the cries of collusion or monopoly (the ACC and Big East can’t claim foul play after sending crappy team to the BCS every year can they?).

[quote=“NinerJags, post:2162, topic:23766”]Pretty sure this isnt good for App State

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-23/sun-belt-commissioner-karl-benson-says-league-not-an-option-for-idaho-new-mexico[/quote]
lol

I guess App & Ga Southern could help to give the WAC enough teams to stay in D-1A. Say hello to Idaho & New Mexico road trips.

Going to be tough for schools with budgets such as theirs to make that work for all sports. I would imagine that it’s going to be strain for programs like West Virginia to make the long road trips for all sports in their new conference, let alone current I-AA schools trying to pull it off with even further road trips to make. I can’t imagine that their fans are excited with the prospect of playing Idaho and New Mexico State annually. At this point, they simply will be trying to do what La Tech did in the WAC: remain there until an opening with the Sun Belt or CUSA comes along. I can’t blame them. The WAC can’t turn them away either if it wants to remain afloat, even knowing that they’ll both be gone at first opportunity of a closer conference.

Going to be tough for schools with budgets such as theirs to make that work for all sports. I would imagine that it’s going to be strain for programs like West Virginia to make the long road trips for all sports in their new conference, let alone current I-AA schools trying to pull it off with even further road trips to make. I can’t imagine that their fans are excited with the prospect of playing Idaho and New Mexico State annually. At this point, they simply will be trying to do what La Tech did in the WAC: remain there until an opening with the Sun Belt or CUSA comes along. I can’t blame them. The WAC can’t turn them away either if it wants to remain afloat, even knowing that they’ll both be gone at first opportunity of a closer conference.[/quote]The WAC could just invite them for football only.

I’m not sure the other football playing members of the SoCon would be happy about that though.

Going to be tough for schools with budgets such as theirs to make that work for all sports. I would imagine that it’s going to be strain for programs like West Virginia to make the long road trips for all sports in their new conference, let alone current I-AA schools trying to pull it off with even further road trips to make. I can’t imagine that their fans are excited with the prospect of playing Idaho and New Mexico State annually. At this point, they simply will be trying to do what La Tech did in the WAC: remain there until an opening with the Sun Belt or CUSA comes along. I can’t blame them. The WAC can’t turn them away either if it wants to remain afloat, even knowing that they’ll both be gone at first opportunity of a closer conference.[/quote]The WAC could just invite them for football only.

I’m not sure the other football playing members of the SoCon would be happy about that though.[/quote]

That’s a possibility, but if I’m the SoCon I would call App’s bluff and I don’t let them remain for all other sports. They need App for football, not necessarily for the other sports. What else is App good in? They have brought the SoCon promininance in football only, and if they take that and go to the WAC you might as well send them packing.

I’m guessing Coastal would jump all over a SoCon invite, so if I’m a SoCon rep I’m not giving in to App staying in for all other sports. App could likely play their other sports in the Big South or Colonial, because I’m sure they would love to have them.

The key here in the thought process is they will break away from the NCAA. They will be a self sustaining entity with their own rules, TV contracts and championships. They will not give 2 shits about the BE, ACC, NCAA National championships, or padding their schedules with anyone outside their 64 team alliance. They will be a seperate entity that can exist within their 64 teams and secure huge amounts of money from TV to sustain them whatever they are. In an extreme example to their thought process would you care about scheduling CPCC in the future. NCAA will be the FCS or lower to them.

They will have the 64 most powerful and financially strong teams in the Country and can pretty much secure whatever they want and make these 64 teams even financially stronger every year. I imagine they will set conditions and rules up to stay away from NCAA teams in the beginning to further weaken the NCAA moving forward. This is a money /power play. Nothing else.

I can see where you would think that lawsuits will fly and maybe they will but when this amount of money is at stake things usually work out in the power brokers way. It is never about right or wrong only about who has the best lawyers.

In my mind whatever this new 64 team alliance is it will be more like a minor league system than a college system and players will definitely be financially supported under their new rules. My only question will be will they still try to mask it as college athletics like they have in the past. Phil Knight has spent over $300 million on Oregon Athletics in the past 7 to 10 years. Taking out player contracts Jerry Richardson probably has not spent that much on the Panthers in the same time period.

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:2170, topic:23766”]The key here in the thought process is they will break away from the NCAA. They will be a self sustaining entity with their own rules, TV contracts and championships. They will not give 2 shits about the BE, ACC, NCAA National championships, or padding their schedules with anyone outside their 64 team alliance. They will be a seperate entity that can exist within their 64 teams and secure huge amounts of money from TV to sustain them whatever they are. In an extreme example to their thought process would you care about scheduling CPCC in the future. NCAA will be the FCS or lower to them.

They will have the 64 most powerful and financially strong teams in the Country and can pretty much secure whatever they want and make these 64 teams even financially stronger every year. I imagine they will set conditions and rules up to stay away from NCAA teams in the beginning to further weaken the NCAA moving forward. This is a money /power play. Nothing else.

I can see where you would think that lawsuits will fly and maybe they will but when this amount of money is at stake things usually work out in the power brokers way. It is never about right or wrong only about who has the best lawyers.

In my mind whatever this new 64 team alliance is it will be more like a minor league system than a college system and players will definitely be financially supported under their new rules. My only question will be will they still try to mask it as college athletics like they have in the past. Phil Knight has spent over $300 million on Oregon Athletics in the past 7 to 10 years. Taking out player contracts Jerry Richardson probably has not spent that much on the Panthers in the same time period.[/quote]

You know the one thing that severely dent it? A sincere, nation-wide boycott. If they continue along this patch, I can guarantee they will never see a penny from me.

In this day and age, we very well might see something like this get organized.

Fans might get fed up, & skip the 64 teams. Then what will they do?

Im just so tired of all this conference realignment in the NCAA that I dont think I can handle an entirely new league doing the same thing

I agree with you guys but that is the way of the world and I doubt very seriously any Alabama Auburn fans will not tune in or for that matter any SEC football teams fans. There will be an uproar and then it will be the new norm. I was really pissed at $3.73 gas a few years ago but now…

My main interest will be how the NCAA goes about taking this on. It looks like to me it will be from a BB standpoint. Very interesting that the ACC took on 2 great BB schools in this last addition but mediocre football teams when Swofford knows football is driving this new bus. If the schools break away for football then I imagine the NCAA will combat it with BB and try to survive.

There is some truth in this, but the difference is that there are no other good options as an alternative to gas. I have to have it to get to to work every day. There are electric vehicles, but right now they are only a good option for about 1% of the population if they can afford them. I have TONS of other options in sports entertainment and I have the NFL and high schools for football, so it’s not going to hurt my feelings to not watch college football on TV should the BCS schools go this route. I’ll get more done on Saturdays in the fall, that’s for sure, once I no longer care about watching it on TV should they pull this stunt.

My main interest will be how the NCAA goes about taking this on. It looks like to me it will be from a BB standpoint. Very interesting that the ACC took on 2 great BB schools in this last addition but mediocre football teams when Swofford knows football is driving this new bus. If the schools break away for football then I imagine the NCAA will combat it with BB and try to survive.

Congress will likely be involved if the BCS schools try to separate. The reason that they need to be involved is because there is a ton of State funds in the large proportion of the schools that will try to separate, and they will produce a severe negative effect for other NCAA D1 football institutions when/if they do separate. What it will come down to is who the politicians side with as to whether they get involved to block it. If the State legislatures say to the public universities invloved “we’ll cut your funding if you do this”, then I don’t think they will be so itchy to make the move. It just remains to be seen if that will happen. 58 of the 76 current/future BCS football schools are public/state universities, and most receive major funding from their state’s budgets. They won’t go unchecked in trying to separate.

Congress will definitely get involved, as will state legislatures for the reasons X stated.

The Super Conferences will attempt to push the envelope as far as possible to becoming a self contained semi pro league, at the expense of olympic sports, but they will stop just short of a breaking point. Expect to see some kind of new division or some other fiction that still barely keeps them affiliated with the NCAA.

Did you mean to say “fiction” or “faction”? I think either applies.

I know one thing. If that school in chapel hill is not one of these schools, we will see a ton of negative press about this new “division”

Fuck it.

Dissolve the conferences. Divide all schools in NCAA Div I into eight geographic districts. New England, Mid Atlantic, Southeast, Great Lakes, Central, Southwest, Northwest. Considering there are about 300 Division I schools, that puts about 35-40 teams in each district. From there, divide them into four tiers in each sport. Twelve in tier one, ten in tiers two and three, and the remainder in tier four. Winners of each tier move up, last place moves down.

In this system, your entire athletic department falls into one of the eight districts, however each individual sport is tiered independently. So, a team like Auburn would be a Tier One football program, but likely T2 or even T3 in basketball.

Is it radical? Hell yeah, it’s radical… but not as radical as letting the 48 most powerful schools erase any sense of competition with the rest. It is a sort of compromise… the most powerful schools get their own little league… but they have to earn the right to stay on the field, while at the same time those who would otherwise be left out if the Big 4 break off have an opportunity to earn their way to the top.

Disclaimer: I’m sure you want to tell me that I’m off my rocker and that this will never, ever, ever, ever happen. Don’t. Save your keystrokes. I know.

I have been arguing for regional geographic conferences for a long time now.

I even tried arguing the side of the established “BCS” programs, against it, and ran out of steam. There just is no reason NOT to do it. If you divide up the programs regionally, 90%+ of the historic rivalries are naturally preserved. The rest can be taken care of with annual non conference games.

It’s what the NFL is, minues the NFC east, and it works great there. It should work at the college level as well. The fans will love hating their neighbors, they will love realstic travel for away games, and the ADs will love it for the same reasons and the significant cost savings.

The winners of each region would be entered into a playoff. And you could have secondary regional bowls for the 2nd and 3rd place teams, etc.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:2179, topic:23766”]I have been arguing for regional geographic conferences for a long time now.

I even tried arguing the side of the established “BCS” programs, against it, and ran out of steam. There just is no reason NOT to do it. If you divide up the programs regionally, 90%+ of the historic rivalries are naturally preserved. The rest can be taken care of with annual non conference games.

It’s what the NFL is, minues the NFC east, and it works great there. It should work at the college level as well. The fans will love hating their neighbors, they will love realstic travel for away games, and the ADs will love it for the same reasons and the significant cost savings.

The winners of each region would be entered into a playoff. And you could have secondary regional bowls for the 2nd and 3rd place teams, etc.[/quote]

And this would work had the NCAA not lost TV contract rights to the conferences back in the 1980’s. Now all these conferences want the largest markets they can grab to interest the networks, and that leads to what we see with the Big East in Idaho and San Diego.