Conference Realignment (Part 1)

I actually like Zombie Lew’s “radical” idea.

I do too. I love it.

I do too. I love it.[/quote]

I like it too. It gives everyone a chance. Question is how to name a national champion.

Lew, the BCS doesn’t allow you to make sense. Please delete before they have a hissy fit that you don’t bow to their BCS Royalness. :))

Somewhat dated (May 21st) but didn’t see it posted…

CBSSports.com: Rest is unrest: Why conference realignment’s storm never ends

The regions are already split up…

http://www.ustfccca.org/infozone/regional-championship-central.php?divno=35

Just click the respective region name and it will give you a list of every D-1 School in the region…

Charlotte is the host the 2012 XC NCAA SE Regional :wink:

Rhody decides to stay in the CAA

Albany and Stony Brook apparently were just what the Rams were looking for.

Latest has Loyola Maryland joining Boston U. in the move to the Patriot League in 2013-14.

Big East now ready to get to 14. Will be interesting to see if we even enter the conversation as a candidate.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8319551/big-east-looking-add-14th-football-member

[quote=“X-49er, post:2189, topic:23766”]Big East now ready to get to 14. Will be interesting to see if we even enter the conversation as a candidate.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8319551/big-east-looking-add-14th-football-member[/quote]

No worries, we won’t.

Big East Considering Name Change

Big East commissions study

[i][b]The Big East is taking that question and has commissioned a study to look into tweaking the conference’s name.

“The unintended consequences of adding new schools is that all of a sudden the Big East is a national conference,” former interim commissioner Joe Bailey said at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit Thursday.

“It extends to four time zones in major markets. In one sense, it almost represents the United States in that diversity.”

The Big East has, at times, been jokingly branded “The new Conference USA,” being that many of its current and incoming members, including Louisville, Memphis, UCF, Southern Methodist, Cincinnati, Marquette, Houston, South Florida, and DePaul, were once part of the C-USA.

It seems ironic, then, that “Conference USA” would be a fitting name to reflect the Big East’s new coast-to-coast presence.

“A brand is extremely important because it tells the marketplace that this is what the Big East stands for,” Bailey went on to say. “There is so much equity in the name, Big East, what do you do with that?”

“Stay tuned,” he added. “There will be a twist to that, but it can’t look less than authentic.”[/b][/i]

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:2191, topic:23766”]Big East Considering Name Change

Big East commissions study

[i][b]The Big East is taking that question and has commissioned a study to look into tweaking the conference’s name.

“The unintended consequences of adding new schools is that all of a sudden the Big East is a national conference,” former interim commissioner Joe Bailey said at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit Thursday.

“It extends to four time zones in major markets. In one sense, it almost represents the United States in that diversity.”

The Big East has, at times, been jokingly branded “The new Conference USA,” being that many of its current and incoming members, including Louisville, Memphis, UCF, Southern Methodist, Cincinnati, Marquette, Houston, South Florida, and DePaul, were once part of the C-USA.

It seems ironic, then, that “Conference USA” would be a fitting name to reflect the Big East’s new coast-to-coast presence.

“A brand is extremely important because it tells the marketplace that this is what the Big East stands for,” Bailey went on to say. “There is so much equity in the name, Big East, what do you do with that?”

“Stay tuned,” he added. “There will be a twist to that, but it can’t look less than authentic.”[/b][/i]

[/quote]Of course they would retain the name to keep anyone else from using it, but it would be great to be able to help create a new Big East once schools figure out that travelling across the country to play volleyball really makes no sense. Or that the conference they have belonged to for 50 years is now filled with schools they do not care about, and these new schools have just as much say in what goes on as they do.

I really think that the final phase of conference realignment may be a re-rationalization of regional conferences. Right now conferences think TV drives the bus, but eventually they may figure out it is the fans.

I’ve always said just realign for FB only. No reason to ship non-profit sports across a whole damn continent.

Yes. I’m glad I am not the only person who thinks this way. Let’s hope the ADs come around sooner rather than later.

It doesn’t really make sense for football conference games either. How many fan bases will follow a team across the country, or care about a school thousands of miles away? Nothing like a rival in your backyard. That’s what college sports were always about.

Apparently Georgia Southern is voting on student fee increases to expand Paulson stadium as a first step to moving to FBS. Looks like they had enough money to pay Lou Holtz to make a pro-expansion video on it. If you know anything about Lou, he has a low opinion on most non-BCS programs…interesting.

was on the jmu board and there is talk their board that Towson and Delaware could be in a joint venture to move up to FBS by joining the MAC

Delaware I can see (and wouldn’t hate, although also wouldn’t love, if they joined CUSA).

But Towson??? They’re bad at everything except lacrosse.

[quote=“Niner National, post:2197, topic:23766”]Delaware I can see (and wouldn’t hate, although also wouldn’t love, if they joined CUSA).

But Towson? ??? They’re bad at everything except lacrosse.[/quote]

First thing I do now when I hear about FBS desires is go look at their athletic budgets.

Delaware is up in ECU territory. Towson is a little above us, but that was us before football. They are also ahead of App in budget, but App subsidy is lower.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

[quote=“Niner National, post:2197, topic:23766”]Delaware I can see (and wouldn’t hate, although also wouldn’t love, if they joined CUSA).

But Towson??? They’re bad at everything except lacrosse.[/quote]

Towson has a great FCS program though, so I’m sure FBS has been in discussion at least in part. (They have LSU on Sat. BTW)
I think UD as a whole is better suited for a move to a new conference right now, though.

College of Charleston to the Colonial, though I haven’t seen a definite date for this to happen. Apparently Davidson decided to stay put in the SoCon and won’t join CofC in the CAA.