Conference Realignment (Part 1)

Right now there are 10 BCS Bowl spots and 5 are semi-permanent with the Big East guaranteed a 6th spot somewhere. Considering that most years the runner-up teams from the two conferences in the Fictional Championship Game also get in that leaves 2 free spots. I don’t see the BCS bastards giving up 1 of those 2 spots to the champ of a 7th conference no matter what format that 7th champion is determined, not without meeting the goals set forth already for non-BCS teams to get in.

They’d need a 6th BCS bowl (Cotton or Peach most likely) and I don’t see the other 4 bowl committees liking that option either.

Andy Katz weights in on MWC/WAC expansion:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5492091/wac-teams-cautious-move

Interesting tid-bit on us:

Meanwhile, Charlotte athletic director Judy Rose has a football program that is going to Division I in an area where football is popular. The 49ers might be a possible realignment team if there is movement within C-USA to go back to its former home.

Is there somewhere in the US where football isn’t popular?

Chapel Hill?

For the most part the Northeast, especially New England, sucks for COLLEGE football. Boston College barely registers in Boston which is the very deffinition of a Pro-Town.

For the most part the Northeast, especially New England, sucks for COLLEGE football. Boston College barely registers in Boston which is the very deffinition of a Pro-Town.[/quote]

Sucks compared to the SE or Midwest but it’s still popular.

For the most part the Northeast, especially New England, sucks for COLLEGE football. Boston College barely registers in Boston which is the very deffinition of a Pro-Town.[/quote]

Sucks compared to the SE or Midwest but it’s still popular.[/quote]

I would not use the terms northeastern college football and popular in the same sentence in a positive manner. I think the fans at U of Boston, Vermont, Northeastern and Hofstra would agree with that. Fans at Rhode Island are looking forward to moving to a lesser league as we speak, HAPPILY.

I would not use the terms northeastern college football and popular in the same sentence in a positive manner. I think the fans at U of Boston, Vermont, Northeastern and Hofstra would agree with that. Fans at Rhode Island are looking forward to moving to a lesser league as we speak, HAPPILY.[/quote]

BC, UConn fans may disagree with you…

I would not use the terms northeastern college football and popular in the same sentence in a positive manner. I think the fans at U of Boston, Vermont, Northeastern and Hofstra would agree with that. Fans at Rhode Island are looking forward to moving to a lesser league as we speak, HAPPILY.[/quote]

BC, UConn fans may disagree with you…[/quote]

Aint Pen State in the northeast to?

You guys are picking out a very small number of schools from the Northeast. It just doesn’t compare to football in the South.

No one is saying it compares.

Boston College and Syracuse struggle to meet their attendance expectations and Rutgers was a ghostland before Schiano turned them around. Northeast and non-Pac 10 California are college football ghostlands.

Let’s not forget a lot of the midwest and Rocky Mountains area.

in the biggest city in north carolina in an on campus facility for a 25k student university, a university puts about 6500 butts in a nice 9k seat stadium.

I guess basketball isn’t big in north carolina.

[quote=“ninerID, post:34, topic:23766”]in the biggest city in north carolina in an on campus facility for a 25k student university, a university puts about 6500 butts in a nice 9k seat stadium.

I guess basketball isn’t big in north carolina.[/quote]

At best, the 5th largest program in the state though.

Keep in mind that in a place like NYC there are fans of schools from all over. So they’re rooting for ND, WVU, or whomever and could care less about watching local college football.

And fans from those areas who didn’t go to to college will latch onto to the popular schools. This used to be Notre Dame, but now it’s the SEC schools and USC. This is why Oregon markets so hard in NYC. They are trying to pick up “neutral” NYC fans.

Apparently the Wolf Pack has no intention of shelling out any money to leave the WAC. And LA Tech, which wants to join C-USA, won’t have to pay anything if and when they leave the conference.

USAToday.com: Nevada president believes school has no obligation to pay WAC penalty

Nevada didn’t sign anything, so they don’t owe.
Fresno was just stupid to sign if they were leaving.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:39, topic:23766”]Nevada didn’t sign anything, so they don’t owe.
Fresno was just stupid to sign if they were leaving.[/quote]

If the MWC goes back and offers membership to Utah State again, there may not be a WAC to pay a penalty fee to anyway.