Conference Realignment (Part 1)

I remember playing big time basketball games on ESPN during the week in the 2000s somehow our fans found a way to pack the house.

A 2 hour hoops game without a tailgate scene is a totally different animal than a 4 hour football game complete with a tailgateā€¦

Apples and oranges.

I know that a lot of fans hate midweek games for no other reason than it ruins the tailgate.

3 Likes
1 Like

Streamers jumping in would be big

I canā€™t imagine how the B1G could end up with a worse deal, thus allowing someone like the AAC to benefit with an ESPN deal. Iā€™d imagine theyā€™d just show more SEC games.

Let ESPN make the AAC the power 3 conference.

1 Like

The best case scenario for the AAC IMHO is for ESPN to hold the Noon Saturday slot for AAC feature game of the week. That noon slot used to be a B1G slot each week, IIRC.

With the departures of UC, UH & UCF, thatā€™s probably the best we can hope for.

I would guess the rest of our content gets dumped on Thurs/Friday or ESPN+

clt says noon is freakin tough for the fans

It is but for a single league game per week, itā€™s not awful.

Itā€™s the spot where they used to show all those ā€œotherā€ B1G teams besides Michigan and OSU.

If itā€™s noon on ABC thatā€™ll make it a lot easier for the fans, thatā€™s an event that would create some buzz around the city. Bojangles biscuits and beer is a winning combination.

1 Like

We have been practicing noon kicks and tailgates since our first season.

1 Like

I find Big 10 football boring. Have you ever tried to watch a Michigan State game? :yawning_face:

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably what they say about us.

Thatā€™s why I liked, back when we first got in CUSA, all the shootout games we used to have. Teams like Marshall and La Tech that couldnā€™t stop anyone, but could also hang 50 on you in a hurry. La Tech used to be especially prone to that.

At least those 52-49 type games are fun. A lot better than 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Boring football - like basketball is only fun when you win. If we are going to lose at least make it fun to watch.

1 Like

I usually just stick with the conference that charlotte is in, the pac 10 and the big 10. maybe throw in a big twelve team every once in a while. I donā€™t remember the last time I watched an sec or an acc game if Iā€™m being honest. :person_shrugging:

Iā€™m going to hold out hope that with espn out of the big ten running that they will help the aac with a pay bump to help us raid cal from the pac. and knock that domino out of the way if they lose the 4 corner schools. A guy can dream

You can feel the atrophying of the non big 2 conferences in that piece. It reeks of desperation and struggle.

College football is in a death spiral.

1 Like