Conference Realignment (Part 1)

Yeah im still going with Mike hearing it. Saw him and Chris at tailgate. It’s possible to think both long term and not be happy about current performance of an incoming program.

4 Likes

Kinda funny what if:

I guess they assume UAB, Memphis, Charlotte, USF, SMU all get the call up, but ECU and FAU don’t…

They seek to try to oppress the rising giant in U City more directly. They know the SEC has it’s eyes on the Queen City.

They scared.

2 Likes

If we were worth a whole lot more as an athletics brand, the SEC could send a giant middle finger to them by inviting us and claiming the city.

I like to live in alternate realities, apparently.

I don’t think that is totally Out of the question if we show we can actually do something

2 Likes

What happens when the inevitable raid from SEC/ B10 happens? The Old Guard that runs Charlotte completely comprehend that dynamic or are they going yo be stuck in the 1980’s ACC basketball pipe dream.

Off topic but it’ll either 1) become the Big East version whatever.0, or 2) they will try to reestablish the NC / Southern Atlantic focus.

Stroooong lean towards #1.

Yeah it makes sense for the old BE schools to regroup and take in Wake and Duke. The schools in limbo are VT, GT and maybe Louisville and I guess possibly Pitt. Those schools seem to be more than the BE schools in terms of football history and desires, but not quite fit either B10 or SEC.

Clearly FSU Clemson and CH are the cream of the ACC crop.

State and Miami are in the second tier.

VT, GT, Louisville and Pitt I guess are 3rd tier.

Then everyone else.

Would be hilarious to see AAC offer to the 3rd tier. GT, Lville and Pitt all are typical AAC metro schools.

Nah I think the balance of power slips over to the former B.E. schools after CHeat and UVA and Clemson and FSU leave.

They could stand pat or backfill with WVU and Cincy or UCF at that point. Then it’ll really look like a new version of the B.E. football only conference.

BC
Cincy
Duke
GT
Louisville
Miami
NCSU
Pitt
Syracuse
UCF
VT
WF

12 team new Big East featuring Duke, NCSU and Wake.

This is the most likely long term IMHO. You can swap out a few schools, such as if UVA doesn’t get the B1G invite.

Incidentally, that would be a killer fit for us if we had the brand power and CHeat wasnt around to cockblock us anymore. Especially if any of the Big 12 schools said “nah”.

But I’ve given up dreaming about such outcomes. It’s foolish.

I feel like there’s a better chance of college sports imploding than us getting in what I consider a top rate conference

I really hope I’m dead wrong, would be happy to be

5 Likes

since people are talking about realignment and far fetched stuff someone is saying the pac is kicking the tires on cusa schools.

CUSA schools?

I’m thinking the author doesn’t know the difference between CUSA and AAC.

There is no one left in CUSA that would have any value to them.

Even the Texas schools that are moving to the AAC would be limited value.

SMU maybe, but they are firmly AAC.

Could be schools currently IN CUSA but headed out. Like us. Wonder if thats an easier and cheaper process than trying to nab current AAC schools.

Rice fits the academic profile of the PAC12 and they are located in the 4th biggest metro in the country. That said their on field performance has been bad and their facilities are old. If the PAC12 wants into the state of Texas SMU and Rice could be targets.

If PAC looks outside of west coast they might go national and try to get eastern schools and time slots.

Of course, both schools could keep playing if they really wanted to.

I imagine UCF fans felt that way playing in the MAC in 2006 or the Belt in 1996 when they went FBS. No way would they end up in a major conference. Funny thing happened though…

Not saying we are going to, but I am saying that numerous schools - some our peers, have made this transition.

Matt Brown of Extra Points hits the nail on the head: