Conference Realignment (Part 1)

If Montana goes FBS it would probably be because the Big Sky as a whole does. They seem to like where they are but their football program is one of the best in FCS.

That is an awesome setting for a stadium.

I know a bit about Montana…I doubt The Griz go FBS unless they bring Bobcats along too…politics in Montana would insist I believe.

Great stadium, beautiful campus, strong fanbase. The basketball wasn’t bad, IIRC.

This was my thought. It would have to be a package deal with MSU (which is the better program at the moment).

y original projections for the Pac-12 media rights deal (with help from some key industry sources) put the conference’s annual media-rights distribution in the neighborhood of $27 million to $29 million, per school. That would have put the Pac-12 about 10 percent to 15 percent behind what the Big 12 eventually negotiated ($31.6 million per school).

San Diego State has been patient and holding its breath. Nobody wants the the Aztecs to turn blue and pass out. Athletic Director J.D. Wicker told me multiple times in the last several months that the Pac-12 has been giving him the same messaging that the conference is putting out publicly.

“Think it will move fast on expansion once TV is done,” Wicker said.

If the Pac12 can put together a media deal with a GOR that keeps Oregon and Washington around for a while, I think they’d be crazy not to add Gonzaga for hoops and SDSU for all sports. That is still a very good conference with those adds.

Arizona
Arizona St
Cal
Colorado
Gonzaga (BB)
Oregon
Oregon St
San Diego St
Stanford
Utah
Washington
Washington St

If NA was the PAC12 Commish, this would be my strongest push to keep that league viable. I believe in order to secure a long term GOR you are probably going to have to give OU and UW higher shares, and give SDSU a smaller one. Gonzaga is going to demand a full share of hoops revenue and they will deserve it, so no issues there.

I also hate the idea of Gonzaga being in the same league as Cincy, WVU and UCF. Those types of leagues are awful. And the travel costs…

Would the WCC allow Gonzaga to remain for their other sports teams if men’s hoops alone goes to the Pac-12? Not aware of any conference that has a MBB-only member.

I think I misspoke there. I meant all sports but football.

Actually referring more to Dodd, who said basketball-only.

1 Like

The WCC should tell them to hit the bricks if they try that.

I’m ok with Olympics only if you don’t have football but basketball only? Forget it.

I suspect Dodd meant to say Gonzaga would join as a full non-football playing member. Always surprised when people say or write basketball-only. No such thing.

Good read from Vannini at the Athletic. Among other things:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1621519900543164423

1 Like

Not great for the AAC.

Meh, aac should just take from mwc at that point. If San Diego jumps I could see some of the others wanting to jump ship too.

I hope they don’t take SMU, all the same.

Do find that interesting. Up til now, SMU to the Big 12 - along with Memphis - seemed the likely destination. Hmm… :thinking:

SMU is likely gone to the PAC. its the easiest road for them to get to the P5 since at this point in time the big 12 has to many texas schools. I just wonder if the pac stops at 12 or goes to 14. anyway I’m liking our odds better now of getting to the big 12 if the administration plays their cards right.

1 Like