Conference Realignment (Part 1)

I would like the PAC to stay together and even gobble up a couple of the available MWC teams to stabilize the west and turn Big 12 expansion eyes east. We are nowhere near ready to pitch them, but it’s our only chance short of the ACC breaking up.

1 Like

I dont know NA. Does the B12 know we now have an imvite to the CBI? That has to have some bearing.

2 Likes

$10 million/yr is more than just a couple million.

Those two schools are huge, ASU & Arizona…. Depending on how you count enrollment, between the two 125k+

So +/- a few million $$’s to those Presidents is very small dollars.

If no one from the PAC wants to join the B12. The B12 should be proactive and try to poach SDSU if they can.

SDSU is a sleeping giant once they get to the P5 level.

1 Like

Listened to the Audible with Stew and Bruce podcast the other day. They had Max Olson from the Athletic on talking about the PAC situation.

They were saying the PAC presidents are very Ivory Tower type folks and may still be looking down their noses at the Big12.

But just wait for the Big10 to come calling and they will drop the PAC ASAP.

I just don’t see a world where Cal and Stanford get a Big10 or even a Big12 invite. They just aren’t committed to college sports at the same level as UCLA, USC, Oregon and Washington.

I agree. Though the first thing they need to do with P5 money is install sunshades for Snapdragon stadium / schedule as many games after dark as possible.

I think that program would explode in the Big 12.

I think the PAC will ultimately stick around after they sign a deal that nets them somewhere in the $20M-25M range.

That’s what we want FWIW. We don’t need to Big 12 expanding westward. We want them ultimately looking back towards the east to fill in their east coast geographic gap.

1 Like

Yup right now the tea leaves look like the PAC will get a contract large enough to stay together and hopefully not to expand. That could give us our window of opportunity.

Sounds like good news for us.

What’s best for us is zero change for a few years.

Hopefully the Big12 just stays static as well or only poach SDSU instead of the PAC getting them.

1 Like

I think if they grab SDSU it’s going to push their strategy towards the west coast.

Ill be shocked if PAC doesnt bring SDSU. They need the southern cal market for any TV deal it would seem.

Their presidents are too snobby to bring them in. They’ve supposedly done several test votes and they can’t get enough.

I agree they need them. But they don’t seem to realize it.

I would still bring in Colorado State or Boise State too. Or Gonzaga and just play with 11 for football.

I still think that CSU needs to play in a bigger league with that stadium:

Capacity: 41,000 (about the same size as Baylor).

And they have a brewery in the stadium:

We really should do that by the way. Work out a deal with Cabarrus Brewing Co.

1 Like

I can understand not wanting Boise from academics. SDSU academic profile should be fine. CSU and SDSU and call it a day, I don’t know anything about CSU academic though. I think stadium size is fine. Standford is 50k, Oregon St is similar.

Oregon State and Washington State have smaller stadiums than Canvas Stadium.

CSU (enrollment 32k) is ranked #151 nationally by US News (we are #219), but reportedly has a 90% acceptance rate, which the PAC won’t like.

They also suffer from the perception that Colorado already delivers the Denver market. CSU is in Ft Collins which is pretty far removed from Boulder / Denver, and is basically the burbs.

In California the University of California system is viewed far more academically prestigious the the Cal State system. San Diego State is in the Cal State system.

Yeah I have friends that are SDSU alums. The Cal higher education system is all kinds of jacked up - but they have plenty of higher education doctorate programs and an acceptance rate in the low 30s.

FWIW, Fort Collins actually closer to Cheyenne (45 miles) than Denver (65 miles), but definitely within the Denver media market.