Confidence

Hey guys,

2005 graduate here, recently moved back to Charlotte. We had great seats in in the lower bowl last night ā€“ alumni side, I hate not being allowed to stand up and yellā€¦

Mid way through the first half when we were down by 10-12, I experienced something I havenā€™t felt in regards to the Niners since my Freshman/Sophomore year ā€“ confidence! Despite trailing, I simply believed weā€™d come back and take over the game. Anyone else regaining this type of confidence that the last two or there years has stripped us of? Very exciting stuff. My wife (not an alum) commented that we should purchase season tickets next year as it was such a fun atmosphere.

Ok, first offā€¦not allowed to stand up and yell on that sideā€¦How can they not allow you tooā€¦I think you should next time you are thereā€¦maybe itā€™ll start to get the rest of them up.

Second, I donā€™t know if it is confidence or what but these guys seem like they hate to lose and also they donā€™t really seem to panic at any point in the game if they are down or the other team makes a run. The young guys donā€™t seem to let it bother them . They just play basketball and that is the best thing.
Watching them play gives me confidence that we can play with anyone but I still also have the fact that we have lost to 2 horrible teams to remain unnamed this year so i donā€™t let the confidence soar too much.

[QUOTE=go49ers;288859]I hate not being allowed to stand up and yellā€¦[/QUOTE]
I donā€™t know of any rule that prevents you from doing either. Halton Arena is not the Dean Dome.

Welcome home.

Thanks! Iā€™m well aware that a yellow jacket wonā€™t yank me out if I stand up, but itā€™s more out of being polite. The elderly ladies behind me sure as heck arenā€™t going to stand up the whole game and I wouldnā€™t feel right blocking them.

Itā€™s just a different atmosphere on the ā€˜other sideā€™.

Thanks! I'm well aware that a yellow jacket won't yank me out if I stand up, but it's more out of being polite. The elderly ladies behind me sure as heck aren't going to stand up the whole game and I wouldn't feel right blocking them.

you certainly canā€™t stand up on the alum side the whole game, w/o causing some tensionā€¦but certainly at key moments its cool to stand.

Thanks! I'm well aware that a yellow jacket won't yank me out if I stand up, but it's more out of being polite. The elderly ladies behind me sure as heck aren't going to stand up the whole game and I wouldn't feel right blocking them.

Iā€™m still a student so Iā€¦ stand in 104, and Iā€™ve thought about what it must be like and will be like for myself and the rest of us former ā€œsuper fans.ā€ I really donā€™t know how I will sit during most of the game which is why I have suggested that we start an ā€œAlumni Super Fansā€ organization or something and coordinate it with the school so that we can all sit in either 119 or 123. The organization will find ways to raise money and then hopefully be able to cover the price of the seats. I know a lot of people say theyā€™d rather stand and be rowdy the entire time so I think support for an organization like this would be pretty good.
Seating chart: http://www.gotickets.com/venues/nc/halton_arena.php

Regarding the topic, I totally know what you are talking about! I love this- what is it called? Con-fi-dence? Iā€™d almost forgotten what it was like. I finally donā€™t feel the need to worry about all this superstitious stuff like what I wear on game day.

That is something that should be worked on with the alumni association. Iā€™m not a member of NNG myself (unfortunately) but I still attend all the games and consider myself to be a good fan. (Questionable if im a ā€œsuper fanā€) But next year (after I graduate in May) I cant see how Iā€™m going to go from being on my feet constantly yelling and being rowdy all game to quiet and reserved with the other alumni. So because of this, 1-2 sections should be devoted to those alum. that want to still be rowdy throughout the game without bothering the (generally) older and more reserved inividuals

The elderly ladies behind me sure as heck aren't going to stand up the whole game and I wouldn't feel right blocking them.

Last night, during the huge Charlotte run, I encouraged some ā€˜olderā€™ folks in section 120 to stand up and cheer. Most of them smiled at me and stood to clap. Not all of them stood for a long period of time, but at least they took the initiative to stand and cheer.

I think if ā€˜youngerā€™ people (Iā€™m 32) encourage the older people to stand and cheer, and show some excitement, theyā€™ll likely get more involved.

As far as not being ā€œallowedā€ to stand in the lower bowlā€¦ sorry, but I paid my tuition, student loans, and my ticket fare. If I want to stand and show support for my team, Iā€™m going to.

bust, I donā€™t want to burst your bubble or enthusiasm, but just to have the opportunity to purchase seats in section 119 or 123 this season required a $6,000 minimum donation or $10,000 cumulative donation.

[QUOTE=HP49er;288907]bust, I donā€™t want to burst your bubble or enthusiasm, but just to have the opportunity to purchase seats in section 119 or 123 this season required a $6,000 minimum donation or $10,000 cumulative donation.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, I will be upstairs for many more years then.

bust, I don't want to burst your bubble or enthusiasm, but just to have the opportunity to purchase seats in section 119 or 123 this season required a $6,000 minimum donation or $10,000 cumulative donation.
Oh, I know. This 119/123 thing would have to be for the fans who are diehard enough to find a way. I love my school and I love my team so it is worth it to me to do whatever it takes to get that seat. I'm sure there are more of us out there. (Not to say that if you don't want to do what it takes you are any less of a fan.)

But I was thinking if we could do some major fund raising, be willing to make monetary sacrifices elsewhere in order to pay some of the required donation, and maybe see if we can pay a little less because we bring energy and atmosphere to the arena, we can get it done. Just as an organization we set up some kind of strategy and maybe find ways to pool our money and let it make more money for us. I dunno. Where thereā€™s a will thereā€™s a way.

[QUOTE=49or bust;288909]Oh, I know. This 119/123 thing would have to be for the fans who are diehard enough to find a way. I love my school and I love my team so it is worth it to me to do whatever it takes to get that seat. Iā€™m sure there are more of us out there. (Not to say that if you donā€™t want to do what it takes you are any less of a fan.)

But I was thinking if we could do some major fund raising, be willing to make monetary sacrifices elsewhere in order to pay some of the required donation, and maybe see if we can pay a little less because we bring energy and atmosphere to the arena, we can get it done. Just as an organization we set up some kind of strategy and maybe find ways to pool our money and let it make more money for us. I dunno. Where thereā€™s a will thereā€™s a way.[/QUOTE]

I think itā€™s a great idea.

:49ers: :49ers: :49ers:

As a former ā€œdie-hard fanā€ and member of Gang Green, I was used to a certain atmosphere at the games. When I graduated, I was able to get seats down low for an extra year due to some connections and then I bought the starter season ticket pack and man what a difference that was. We had some people near us that cheered, but it was never as lively as down low. Granted this was '04-'07 season so in the last few years there were a lot of gripes and that never helped.

Now, I have upgrade and sit in 220 and while the view is better (close and not at an angle) the crowd is still mellow. It takes a little getting used to, but I plan on being down low in a year or two so hopefully I will be one of those guys in the lower level urging others to stand and cheer!

I really don't know how I will sit during most of the game which is why I have suggested that we start an "Alumni Super Fans" organization or something and coordinate it with the school so that we can all sit in either 119 or 123.

If that gets put together. I donā€™t care which section itā€™s in, count me in. I miss so much not being a part of the student section, and that would be the next best thing.

I would move my seat in a heartbeat (even if it were a couple of rows) if there was a lower level section where it was ok to stand and cheer the whole game (without feeling like youā€™re bothering people around you). I might even be ok with some really really good upper level seats :slight_smile:

I dont know if Iā€™m right about this or not but dont NNG members get tickets to section 110 or something? And if so, I know that most of us still sit in the 104-105 region for obvious reasonsā€¦ so is there any reason that area couldnt be donated to NNG + ā€œsuperfanā€ alumni?

[QUOTE=HP49er;288907]bust, I donā€™t want to burst your bubble or enthusiasm, but just to have the opportunity to purchase seats in section 119 or 123 this season required a $6,000 minimum donation or $10,000 cumulative donation.[/QUOTE]

HP - any idea on section 111? Prob close to the same but since itā€™s priority 2 I thought Iā€™d ask.

I think I saw them ask you to sit last night (or at least I saw someone get asked to sit). I have a 6 month old and cannot stand the entire time. Normally by the second half, sheā€™s asleep on me and Iā€™m forced to watch the game on the scoreboard. I can watch bits of the game, but when everyone stands up, I miss it all. Luckily the screens were put in and I donā€™t miss much of the action.

I think I saw them ask you to sit last night (or at least I saw someone get asked to sit). I have a 6 month old and cannot stand the entire time. Normally by the second half, she's asleep on me and I'm forced to watch the game on the scoreboard. I can watch bits of the game, but when everyone stands up, I miss it all. Luckily the screens were put in and I don't miss much of the action.

Wowā€¦ people were asked to sit down? Iā€™ve never been asked to sit, although I donā€™t generally stand the entire game.

I got asked to sit during the High Point game. I was in 103 where they put the students who went to the A10 Champ game for the Charlotte girls soccer team. I was respectful, but pissed.