Conversation with a GG member

An acquaintance of mine who is a member of gang green came into my store today and I was still wearing my NN shirt, so he asked how the game went. The following conversation ensued:

Me: You’re in gang green, you weren’t there?
Him: Well the games are boring!!!
Me: You pay to be in a spirit group but you think the games are boring?
Him: Yeah, so?
Me: Why are you even a member?
Him: Well, everyone else on my hall was joining so I didn’t want to be bored while they were at games!

wow. if that doesn’t put an emphasis on how apathetic this school is towards our athletics, i don’t know what does. He is a member of a group that prides themselves on school spirit, yet he has none, and only does it to keep himself from sitting around at home on a friday night. He didn’t even know that the game was an away game last night. Thoughts?

He should camp out, that way he’ll have something to do an extra night per game.

My freshmen year we had 5-6 guys on my hall join GG along with me. After the first game they never returned to Gang Green again.

I think there’s a better chance of Travis Gordon going pro then this guy camping out, consistantly. HAHA!

You know, I hate to see that. But initially, don’t let that make you look down on Gang Green - we still have the hardcore fans. Now, as for him paying to be in the group and not even showing up, I don’t know what to say about that.

yeah that sounds like something he’ll probably end up doing, but only for the big games, since that when everyone on his hall will be there. please.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Dec 9 2004, 06:41 PM [b] He should camp out, that way he'll have something to do an extra night per game. [/b]
HELL NO! i dotnt want someone thats that apathetic about the team gettin lower level. Lower level is for the hardcore fans. he would probably show up in a Tar Heels hat and a friggin orange abercrombie shirt or something

I mean, I have no idea how you can possibly say the games are “boring.” Maybe this guy just isn’t a sports fan - period. It sounds like that’s the case. If it is, that’s a little better than just not caring about our sports.

That may be true, but why are you taking up space if you aren’t interested? I notice that him and his buds don’t raise their picks or participate in chants, and that just looks really sloppy when you look over at gg and you see a few with their arms crossed across their chest. It’s sad actually.

We seriously need to adjust our group seating policy.

[i]Originally posted by uncc_kristi[/i]@Dec 9 2004, 07:57 PM [b] That may be true, but why are you taking up space if you aren't interested? I notice that him and his buds don't raise their picks or participate in chants, and that just looks really sloppy when you look over at gg and you see a few with their arms crossed across their chest. It's sad actually. [/b]
Good points Kristi. One of the reasons I left GG was I got frustrated with some of the fans and I am not talking about those on the first 2-3 rows.

One example is what I heard last year from a few fans in GG, “Why is Demon shooting 3 pointers?” “What position does Curtis Withers play again?” “Do you think the game will be over in time to get home to see the end of the UNC game?”

Oh wow that last one is the kicker. It amazes me how now matter how good our team is doing, this crap continues year after year. Last night was awesome beacuse it was people who cared about the game. Every HOME game should be as good as it was last night.

Yeah, we do get that kind of stuff. There’s not a whole lot we can do about it, though. I mean, we can’t actually kick people out of GG, you know? I’m not sure why the majority of those type of fans join. I guess they’re just looking to be a part of a group or something. I do get frustrated with some of the GGers who are just sitting there doing nothing. We try to get them hyped, get them involved, and it will work for a few minutes and they’ll be back down.

Now I’d say that’s just a VERY small portion of GG, and I’m not gonna bail on the group - I’m gonna try to improve it. Hey, I’m doing what I can.

It pretty well stinks that there are students that have attitude like that, but I do hope that there is something that will improve: The University is growing so fast, that it is possible it will be more difficult for people to get in. When that happens, hopefully it will be a better core of students who will WANT to be niners. Time will only tell…

Then perhaps Gang Green shouldn’t just allow everyone and anyone in. Perhaps it’s time to readjust policies. Perhaps it’s time that you start interviewing people that you let in. As a member now, I am sad to see the state of the group. I’ve been in it for 3 years now and we are some of the loudest people…but do we get good seats? Not really. People who just sit there and do nothing get better seats. Why? Cause they showed up for a whole bunch of other events. Does that give them spirit? Not always. But people who actually go to school and work and penalized because of the fact that they have to work and end up with “bad” seats. I say bad seats because they get stuck behind those who sit down the entire game. And some of the chants that they come up with? What in the world does giggity giggity have to do with Charlotte? I’ve wondered that for 2 years now. If you are gonna chant, at least have it pertain to something that deals with Charlotte. And by the way…it’s not a very small portion that just sit there…it’s a large majority for most of the game…

[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah[/i]@Dec 9 2004, 07:10 PM [b] Yeah, we do get that kind of stuff. There's not a whole lot we can do about it, though. I mean, we can't actually kick people out of GG, you know? I'm not sure why the majority of those type of fans join. I guess they're just looking to be a part of a group or something. I do get frustrated with some of the GGers who are just sitting there doing nothing. We try to get them hyped, get them involved, and it will work for a few minutes and they'll be back down.

Now I’d say that’s just a VERY small portion of GG, and I’m not gonna bail on the group - I’m gonna try to improve it. Hey, I’m doing what I can. [/b]

SF,

Maybe there is something you can do about it. I was told that you guys are an officially recognized student group. If this is correct, you had to draw up a constitution, elect officers, etc. Why not amend the constitution to say that the group reserves the right to dismiss any member that isn’t contributing to the goals that the group is trying to achieve. Also, you could have any new member sign a contract saying in exchange for block seating, pregame meal, etc., we require that you stand up, yell, chant, etc. I’m not 100% sure if you can do this. Talk to your club’s advisor or Zane Reif in the SGA office to find out for sure.

That’s not too bad of an idea Smoothie. We do have the constitution and officers and all. And while I’d like to take that route, we’d have people getting upset that we didn’t think they were loud enough. And that’s something we definitely don’t want. There are some people who aren’t the loudest, but they can still definitely support the team. Now standing, and AT LEAST clapping on the chants is another issue. Even the quietest person can do that. I’ll definitely bring that up at our next meeting, though.

And RedStorm, I see where you’re coming from too. But it’s about the most fair way we can do the seating. Really, that’s what GG is about – supporting ALL Charlotte athletics, not just basketball. I mean, we couldn’t really make GG just general seating, first come, either. How else could we do it? We also couldn’t do a “Well, we think you’re louder, so you get a closer seat” deal. Do you know how many people would get upset over that? And if we did actually start doing interviews to be in GG, we would have the most absolute hardcore fans, but it would but our numbers. So we have a choice there – a smaller group of more hardcore fans or a larger group with some quiter people. Personally, I’ll take the larger numbers and turn them into hardcore fans.

If you have any other ideas as to how we could do it, let me know for sure. And if you see people sitting down in front of you, do whatever you can to get them standing. Trust me, we hate to see people sitting too.

And by the way, Red… as far as your “What does Giggity Giggity have to do with Charlotte?”, it’s just a celebration chant. Something good happens, it deserves a “Giggity Giggity”. I mean, the players seem to like it. Watch Mitch - a lot of times, he’ll quietly come on the “Whooo” at the end.

[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah[/i]@Dec 9 2004, 10:59 PM [b] We also couldn't do a "Well, we think you're louder, so you get a closer seat" deal. Do you know how many people would get upset over that? [/b]
AH HA!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe that’s exactly what you need to do. Ruffle some feathers. If I’m in GG, and I find out that I might get a closer seat if I was louder, don’t think I wouldn’t scream myself hoarse every night to try and get closer. When people are angry or upset, they are often moved to take action, whereas if they don’t feel as if doing anything will improve their situation, they will remain complacent.
In reality, I know this would be extremely difficult to enforce, but it wouldn’t hurt to kind of float it around the group and see what kind of response you get.

Here again is my aritcle on lack of school spirit at Charlotte http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v…8/41b4c543f235e . I know I keep promoting it but I am trying to send a message. I am challenging the student body, I know my fraternity has been out to every game this year, we had 20 guys go to Davidson last night and we were pretty loud up in 103. Everybody that comes to these games and gets rowdy is starting to build the tradition, but it is up to us like I said to do this. It killed me when I told somebody I was going to the game against Alabama last Saturday and they said “what game?” That’s bull. So we need to rally the school together and do this! I’m not trying to preach to the choir because I mean it. It kills me to see empty seats in Halton Arena for ANY GAME, we haven’t sold out ONE GAME all year and that is sad. So let’s go NINER FANS! We can do this!

Yeah, I definitely see you there Smoothieking. The only problem is if people would just decide to quit GG because of the “get loud” policy instead of getting louder.

[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah[/i]@Dec 9 2004, 11:19 PM [b] Yeah, I definitely see you there Smoothieking. The only problem is if people would just decide to quit GG because of the "get loud" policy instead of getting louder. [/b]
Unfortuantely, even in our most spirited support group, apathy rears its ugly head. So sad. :(