Cornbread on FNZ (nm)

nm

I would love it if WFNZ was never mentioned on this board again.

I would love it if people didn’t always complain when someone brings up that station

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Mar 15 2005, 05:24 PM [b] I would love it if people didn't always complain when someone brings up that station [/b]
Me too.
[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Mar 15 2005, 04:24 PM [b] I would love it if people didn't always complain when someone brings up that station [/b]
ditto

What’d the Bread say? Was he downing the team, program, etc. like usual. Saying things like he wished he was a Tar Holer? Or did he break the mold and say something pleasant?

He actually said that he wanted to go ECU because it was close to his home in Kinston. They only offered him a partial scholarship and we offered him a full ride so he came here. He said he never wanted to play for the Tarheels.

He also said that State is about to get their ass whooped and he will be sitting in a front row seat for Sunday’s game against UCONN. He wants Judy to hook him up with a ticket.

LOL. I remember a couple years ago he was on Packman and said he wanted to go to NC-CH, but was not offered a scholarship. I wonder why he’s changing his story. I think Judy Rose should give me a free ticket instead. I will be much louder than Cornbread.

[i]Originally posted by Pork Chop[/i]@Mar 15 2005, 05:02 PM [b] I think Judy Rose should give me a free ticket instead. I will be much louder than Cornbread. [/b]
I'll be front row unlike the rest of you. Bitches.

James Worthy was also on the show and said that he was a 49er fan growing up in Gastonia in the late 70’s before he went to Carolina. Thought that was intersting.

Another thing Maxwell said, is that our 1977 team could beat any ACC team of all time. He loves to stir the pot!!!

[b]He wants Judy to hook him up with a ticket.[/b]

That’s pretty bold from a guy who has never given one cent to this university.

Maxwell was the best player we ever had, but obviously bad blood between him and the university ever since…

Who cares what he says and yes I am one that wishes you all would quit bringing up Packer and the radio station over and over agan.

He also talked smack about Chris Paul and his NBA chances. He compared him with Ed Cota!!! He said he likes Curt’s NBA potential but said that Eddie really needs to start scoring to impress the league because he’s a tweener (which IMO is a valid statement). Overall I enjoyed Cornbread and most of the fans did. Him and another caller both lobbied for Lew Massey’s jersey to hang in the rafters (I’m down with that).

I know there has always been something weird between Maxwell and the University, anyone really know why he always seems like hes got something against us? Is it just the current administration, or has it always been like this. I know alot about our program, but always found this situation to be bizarre.

Totally off the subject but i rode down 85 yesterday beside Jarvis Lang in his black “Isuzu UNCC NINERS” he took the letters off the back that said Rodeo and had them replaced with the exact letters except it spelled UNCC NINERS, i rolled down the window and complimented him on how much of “the man” he was, seemed to be happy someone recognized him.

[i]Originally posted by sf49er[/i]@Mar 15 2005, 07:08 PM [b] Maxwell was the best player we ever had, but obviously bad blood between him and the university ever since.......

Who cares what he says and yes I am one that wishes you all would quit bringing up Packer and the radio station over and over agan. [/b]

Actually, it sounds like Cornbread has changed his tune towards the University. I think doing his bobblehead and bringing him back to honor him made a real difference. Plus, our success has helped a lot.

Yesterday, he really took up for the program and Lutz. He also stirred things up with the ACC fans. His claim that his 77 team could beat the best in the ACC was a classic.

It was the UNCC :o /Charlotte 49ers show during my hour drive home.

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Mar 15 2005, 11:17 PM [b] I know there has always been something weird between Maxwell and the University, anyone really know why he always seems like hes got something against us? Is it just the current administration, or has it always been like this. I know alot about our program, but always found this situation to be bizarre. [/b]
I don't know the entire story but Cornbread and I used to go to the same gym in Harrisburg a few years back and I know he was upset that he caught a lot of flack for not donating any money to the program.

Unless he has started to give in the past couple years (which I doubt) he has never given one cent to the University, even during his days as an NBA star. His claim is that the University owes him for all he did for us.

He will always go into a little spiel about how his ex-wife gets all his money and he cannot afford to donate, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is that he is cheap and cheap people get bitter when they get called on it.

Max was an exquisite player and I loved him for it. I’m saddened he can be such a jerk as a person. :tool:

I’m just surprised that both his head and Packer’s head could actually fit inside the studio together.

Great college player but thinks a bit too highly of himself and thinks too little of quality college players out there.

Cornbread is our marquee player, and despite his bravado talk on sports radio is actually pretty humble about his success. He was very surprised when folks wanted his bobble head, cheered him at graduation as the Distinguished Alumnus, and cheered on the 25th anniversary of the '77 final four team. I talked with him and he said he was surprised that people still remembered him.

As for donating to the University, I think he simply didn’t make the uber-cash that the pros now make. He still does color for the Celtics, and has done some of our games as well. Not to say that he hasn’t been negative in the past, but I do think that his bobblehead and the '77 team celebration have turned him around. I don’t think he is sitting on big bucks but supports the program in his own way.

Regardless he is our BIG name player, and how many of you say you are a 49er and folks all over the country say CORNBREAD.