Credit Reports

Do any of you check your credit reports online? Is is smart, free, safe? I was under the impression that if you checked it, it actually hurt your credit, but then I thought I heard that, that rule had changed.

What input do ya’ll have on this issue? Good websites, benefits, horror stories… Thanks.

If you go to: [URL=http://www.annualcreditreport.com]www.annualcreditreport.com[/URL], you get the free credit report that the government requires you get under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You get 1 free report from each of the 3 bureaus once every 12 months.

You pulling your own report is a “soft” hit, meaning it doesn’t affect your score.

Three weeks ago I went through TransUnion. You sign up for free (you will have to give them credit card info and everything), but you get a 30 day trial. Basically, sign up, get your report to find out, then cancel your subscription, and you won’t be charged. After 30 days it’s like $13 a month. It doesn’t hurt your score to check it, I believe once a year through TransUnion, and there are two others that are similar that will not hurt. If you let a car dealer or someone that nature I believe it hurts your score then. Also, that’s the last person who should know your credit score when you don’t b/c they’ll try and screw you. I never had a problem. Hope that helps.

Three weeks ago I went through TransUnion. You sign up for free (you will have to give them credit card info and everything), but you get a 30 day trial. Basically, sign up, get your report to find out, then cancel your subscription, and you won't be charged. After 30 days it's like $13 a month. It doesn't hurt your score to check it, I believe once a year through TransUnion, and there are two others that are similar that will not hurt. If you let a car dealer or someone that nature I believe it hurts your score then. Also, that's the last person who should know your credit score when you don't b/c they'll try and screw you. I never had a problem. Hope that helps.

Read my post above. That is a pointless effort. You don’t need to do that. TransUnion, Equifax, and whatever the other one is are all REQUIRED to give you a free report every 12 months. You just have to do it through the government’s website, www.annualcreditreport.com.

Edit: that other one is Experian.

Like Norester said anualcreditreport.com is the best way to go, I bought my first house last year and did it before to make sure everything was correct, then when the mortgage company pulled it it was the exact same numbers, so it doesn’t hurt you.

It’s not absolute, but the credit agencies are fairly geographical - that is, banks/lenders will use their regional agency: Equifax (Atlanta) (Beacon score) is used by most SE banks. Experian is more midwest, but their FICO score is the second most common in our market.

TransUnion, I believe, is based on the west coast, and is used the least frequently in the SE.

I’m sorely tempted to initiate my “non credit entities pulling credit reports” rant, but I’ll save it, since it just makes me red faced.

I'm sorely tempted to initiate my "non credit entities pulling credit reports" rant, but I'll save it, since it just makes me red faced.

I want to hear the rant. Do you think it should be illegal? Is it widespread?

I don’t know much about their practices.

Once or twice is not bad. When you get alot of little pings on your credit (say you start opening alot of credit cards) Your credit rating may be affected

Read my post above. That is a pointless effort. You don't need to do that. TransUnion, Equifax, and whatever the other one is are all REQUIRED to give you a free report every 12 months. You just have to do it through the government's website, [URL=http://www.annualcreditreport.com]www.annualcreditreport.com[/URL].

Edit: that other one is Experian.

I posted at the exact same time as you earlier… so sorry, I was unaware of www.annualcreditreport.com… it’ll be ok.