CSM Top 144 for 2014-15

[size=1em][font=arial]78 Colorado State
79 Kansas State
80 LSU
81 Duquesne
82 Southern Illinois[/font][/size]

I take it we aren’t in the top 144?

:-[

[quote=“The_Brown_Samurai, post:22, topic:28928”]I take it we aren’t in the top 144?

:-[[/quote]

There are still two CUSA teams left for in the top 75…

[quote=“The_Brown_Samurai, post:22, topic:28928”]I take it we aren’t in the top 144?

:-[[/quote]There is nobody else left in CUSA that would be higher than UTEP other than us and La Tech unless someone at CSM was really drunk when coming up with the rankings.

I think we’ve already passed the point where we should be ranked, but nobody else in CUSA makes sense.

Davidson in at #76 and #7 in the A10.

Sad that #7 in A10 = between #2 and #3 in CUSA, but I digress. Hopefully, the season doesn’t end up that way.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:25, topic:28928”]Davidson in at #76 and #7 in the A10.

Sad that #7 in A10 = between #2 and #3 in CUSA, but I digress. Hopefully, the season doesn’t end up that way.[/quote]

I would say there is no way Davidson is better than us, but deep down inside, I know they may be. Last year’s game in Halton still gives me bad memories.

I bet they’re putting a lot of faith in our now-eligible transfers along with most of the team coming back.

The team last year really should’ve been better too. I still can’t believe just how badly the team collapsed. I’ve seen some fans talk like the Michigan game and that tournament was a fluke, but the team played so much better overall in those games. What appears to be poor coaching, freshmen hitting a wall (including Bryan who was solid until the midseason swoon), and some inexplicably unfocused play by the upperclassmen really caused an implosion.

I still think the Niners lack the depth in the post to be a consistently good team, but if the team finally gets “lucky” and there are no devastating injuries, ineligibility, or malcontents, and they all stay focused, then they could be quite good. I just don’t know if the coaches have the program in a place where we can have any expectation of that happening.

I do think the Niners “should” be better than Davidson this year, but we’ll see.

i think we’ll be better too. we’ve got some talent now so it’s really a matter of coaching in my opinion.

lee rose was a great coach, but his recruiting was–maybe a bit too honest, shall we say. but could he ever coach! (he did get chad kinch in after the NIT run.)

bill foster was an excellent recruiter he got a bunch of guys here early that would STILL be players, [e.g., most of the NIT and NCAA teams] and he could coach his slow, patient offense and man defense that worked in the day![font=Verdana][size=78%] [/size][/font]

major & co. can recruit. we know that!

but give an old dookie this: i love coach K because he coaches PLAYERS rather than his own “system”! he tries to understand what he has from year to year and changes his game to fit THEM, rather than just bringing in the most “talented” group possible and trying to stuff them into his mold. (a la Roy) THAT’S coaching!

i hope coach major is feeling better than he has in years and that he comes back ready, eager, and able to coach the sterling bunch of basketball players he’s recruited!

[quote=“earlyniner, post:28, topic:28928”]lee rose was a great coach, but his recruiting was–maybe a bit too honest, shall we say. but could he ever coach! (he did get chad kinch in after the NIT run.)

bill foster was an excellent recruiter he got a bunch of guys here early that would STILL be players, [e.g., most of the NIT and NCAA teams] and he could coach his slow, patient offense and man defense that worked in the day![font=Verdana][size=78%] [/size][/font][/quote]

Foster and Rose? We hit the jackpot with the right combination of both coaches back then. That’s for sure. I’ve always given Foster much of the credit for building the Final 4 team, but I do not recall him running a slow, consistent offense. We ran so much back then, we seldom got into any type of offense. Didn’t we average about a 100 points a game Foster’s last 2 seasons, and that was without a 3 point shot. Rose took Foster’s players and developed the consistent offense.

Foster landed Cornbread, Massey, Shipman, Melvin, Heath, Blue, Jefferson, Jackson, Ball, King, and other good players. IMO Major’s recruiting is good, but does not come close to what Foster did.

I agree that Foster was an impressive recruiter, particularly given the state of the program at that time.

However, he hit the jackpot with Maxwell, possibly one of the most underrated recruits of all time. I don’t think that happens much now, the scouting is better and easier.

Since Major got his bionic heart and eyes this summer we are going to be great. That was the missing piece. :))

LOL Let’s hope the bionic heart came with some basketball coaching knowledge preprogramed in.

[quote=“49r9r, post:29, topic:28928”][quote=“earlyniner, post:28, topic:28928”]lee rose was a great coach, but his recruiting was–maybe a bit too honest, shall we say. but could he ever coach! (he did get chad kinch in after the NIT run.)

bill foster was an excellent recruiter he got a bunch of guys here early that would STILL be players, [e.g., most of the NIT and NCAA teams] and he could coach his slow, patient offense and man defense that worked in the day![font=verdana][size=78%] [/size][/font][/quote]

Foster and Rose? We hit the jackpot with the right combination of both coaches back then. That’s for sure. I’ve always given Foster much of the credit for building the Final 4 team, but I do not recall him running a slow, consistent offense. We ran so much back then, we seldom got into any type of offense. Didn’t we average about a 100 points a game Foster’s last 2 seasons, and that was without a 3 point shot. Rose took Foster’s players and developed the consistent offense.

Foster landed Cornbread, Massey, Shipman, Melvin, Heath, Blue, Jefferson, Jackson, Ball, King, and other good players. IMO Major’s recruiting is good, but does not come close to what Foster did.[/quote]

For sure the planets aligned to spell “NINER” and we caught lightning in a bottle. But it was literally some of the best times of my 63 years of life, ironically during some of the worst personal times of my life. Yes, it WAS the best of times and the worst of times for me.

73 Louisiana
74 Illinois State
75 Toledo
76 DAVIDSON WILDCATS
77 Denver

[font=Verdana][/font]
68 California
69 Cleveland State
70 NC State
71 San Francisco
72 Temple

[quote=“Basden05, post:35, topic:28928”][font=Verdana][/font]
68 California
69 Cleveland State
70 NC State
71 San Francisco
72 Temple[/quote]

I am starting to think we may not make this list. Will we be better than last year? Yes. But are we a top 70 program? That remains to be seen IMO.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:36, topic:28928”][quote=“Basden05, post:35, topic:28928”]68 California
69 Cleveland State
70 NC State
71 San Francisco
72 Temple[/quote]

I am starting to think we may not make this list. Will we be better than last year? Yes. But are we a top 70 program? That remains to be seen IMO.[/quote]
Me too, but that would mean the list is a complete joke if they don’t have us in their top 144.

[quote=“919R, post:37, topic:28928”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:36, topic:28928”][quote=“Basden05, post:35, topic:28928”]68 California
69 Cleveland State
70 NC State
71 San Francisco
72 Temple[/quote]

I am starting to think we may not make this list. Will we be better than last year? Yes. But are we a top 70 program? That remains to be seen IMO.[/quote]
Me too, but that would mean the list is a complete joke if they don’t have us in their top 144.[/quote]

Why? What have we done that should make people from the outside think we are good enough to be in the top 144? There are 351 Division 1 programs. Have we really performed like we belong in the upper 144?

There are still two teams left from CUSA to mention, and none left with any kind of optimistic outlook other than us and LA Tech.

I suspect we’ll apear in the next batch of names, around #65, and LA Tech will appear at around #50.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:38, topic:28928”][quote=“919R, post:37, topic:28928”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:36, topic:28928”][quote=“Basden05, post:35, topic:28928”]68 California
69 Cleveland State
70 NC State
71 San Francisco
72 Temple[/quote]

Me too, but that would mean the list is a complete joke if they don’t have us in their top 144.[/quote]

Why? What have we done that should make people from the outside think we are good enough to be in the top 144? There are 351 Division 1 programs. Have we really performed like we belong in the upper 144?[/quote]
When you look at some of the teams in THEIR top 144 and consider what we have coming back…YES, we should (you know I am no Major backer, but surely we are top 144).