CUSA is in Trouble

I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

Going through each team’s schedule, the best two wins the entire league has had thus far are against South Florida and St. John’s. Sure, several teams tried scheduling a big name here and there, and all subsequently got demolished. Think we’re destined for another 12th-ranked league if we’re lucky, with only the tourney champ going to the Dance as no better than a 13th seed. Sad, but true unfortunately. I’d love for someone to prove me wrong, but so far there just aren’t ANY wins across the board that tell me otherwise.
-G-

[quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

Going through each team’s schedule, the best two wins the entire league has had thus far are against South Florida and St. John’s. Sure, several teams tried scheduling a big name here and there, and all subsequently got demolished. Think we’re destined for another 12th-ranked league if we’re lucky, with only the tourney champ going to the Dance as no better than a 13th seed. Sad, but true unfortunately. I’d love for someone to prove me wrong, but so far there just aren’t ANY wins across the board that tell me otherwise.
-G-[/quote]

it isn’t a good league and we aren’t a good team - we belong in this league.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:30656”][quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

it isn’t a good league and we aren’t a good team - we belong in this league.[/quote]

Yep. And we are part of the league’s problem.

[quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

Where do you go?

-G-[/quote]12th ranked league? Lol.

We were 21 last year and we are sitting at 23 right now.

CUSA is a bottom 20% conference for hoops and arguably the worst fbs conference.

CUSA is a dirty bus station toilet, and we are just another floater

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:30656”][quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

it isn’t a good league and we aren’t a good team - we belong in this league.[/quote]

Yes, but if we were in a better league it would help us bring in better recruits, play better/more interesting opponents, etc. I understand why we moved to CUSA. I also understand that I would be excited to see games against Dayton, VCU, GWASH, and Richmond, but I could care less about every team in CUSA.

[quote=“Ben H, post:7, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:30656”][quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

Yes, but if we were in a better league it would help us bring in better recruits, play better/more interesting opponents, etc. I understand why we moved to CUSA. I also understand that I would be excited to see games against Dayton, VCU, GWASH, and Richmond, but I could care less about every team in CUSA.[/quote]

[size=2]Yeah being in the A10 helped us make plenty of NCAA appearances while we were in that league ::slight_smile: [font=Verdana]. The A10 sucked and we sucked in it. You know how you change things? You play above your level. We did in the Sunbelt, we did it in the Metro and we did it in CUSA 1.0. We need to stop complaining about this league, and just fucking win where ever we are. At least with CUSA we have a handful of teams that we have a history with. [/font][/size]

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:8, topic:30656”][quote=“Ben H, post:7, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:30656”][quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

Yes, but if we were in a better league it would help us bring in better recruits, play better/more interesting opponents, etc. I understand why we moved to CUSA. I also understand that I would be excited to see games against Dayton, VCU, GWASH, and Richmond, but I could care less about every team in CUSA.[/quote]

[size=1em]Yeah being in the A10 helped us make plenty of NCAA appearances while we were in that league ::slight_smile: [font=verdana]. The A10 sucked and we sucked in it. You know how you change things? You play above your level. We did in the Sunbelt, we did it in the Metro and we did it in CUSA 1.0. We need to stop complaining about this league, and just f***ing win where ever we are. At least with CUSA we have a handful of teams that we have a history with. [/font][/size][/quote]Agreed, we are holding ourselves back. CUSA isn’t stopping us from succeeding.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:8, topic:30656”][quote=“Ben H, post:7, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:30656”][quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

[size=1em]Yeah being in the A10 helped us make plenty of NCAA appearances while we were in that league ::slight_smile: [font=verdana]. The A10 sucked and we sucked in it. You know how you change things? You play above your level. We did in the Sunbelt, we did it in the Metro and we did it in CUSA 1.0. We need to stop complaining about this league, and just f***ing win where ever we are. At least with CUSA we have a handful of teams that we have a history with. [/font][/size][/quote]

spot on. look at davidson. they owned a trash conference for years. stepped up to the conference we left/could never succeed in and IMMEDIATELY WON IT. the conference is a problem, but it’s about 99th on the list of what’s wrong with us right now.

[quote=“2k, post:9, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:8, topic:30656”][quote=“Ben H, post:7, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:30656”][quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

[size=1em]Yeah being in the A10 helped us make plenty of NCAA appearances while we were in that league ::slight_smile: [font=verdana]. The A10 sucked and we sucked in it. You know how you change things? You play above your level. We did in the Sunbelt, we did it in the Metro and we did it in CUSA 1.0. We need to stop complaining about this league, and just f***ing win where ever we are. At least with CUSA we have a handful of teams that we have a history with. [/font][/size][/quote]Agreed, we are holding ourselves back. CUSA isn’t stopping us from succeeding.[/quote]Correct, but it probably doesn’t help with attendance. While winning helps with attendance more than anything else, playing known names, particularly ranked known names, helps boost attendance. We won’t be getting that lift in CUSA.

-G-[/quote]

[size=1em]Yeah being in the A10 helped us make plenty of NCAA appearances while we were in that league ::slight_smile: [font=verdana]. The A10 sucked and we sucked in it. You know how you change things? You play above your level. We did in the Sunbelt, we did it in the Metro and we did it in CUSA 1.0. We need to stop complaining about this league, and just f***ing win where ever we are. At least with CUSA we have a handful of teams that we have a history with. [/font][/size][/quote]

Completely disagree. It is foolish and asinine to believe that conferences don’t play a part in it. Being in the A 10 won’t get us to the big dance, but it certainly gives its schools much more of a leg up in plenty of other things that could help you. Gives you way more resources and way more respect. I’m not remotely saying we should have stayed in the A10, but saying that the A10 is **** is one of the dumbest things people have said on this board. You all want to move up conferences so we can get more opportunity. I’m saying CUSA is a one bid conference and there is a big difference in opportunity between being in a one bid and being in a multi bid league. Also, please tell me how Middle TN and UTSA are bringing in more fans and opposing fans than VCU and Dayton.

[quote=“Ben H, post:12, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:8, topic:30656”][quote=“Ben H, post:7, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:30656”][quote=“GMadness, post:1, topic:30656”]I know this hasn’t been a good week already, but looking at the league overall, it’s painfully clear this will be a one-bid conference again. CUSA’s overall OOC schedule is ABYSMAL!!

-G-[/quote]

Completely disagree. It is foolish and asinine to believe that conferences don’t play a part in it. Being in the A 10 won’t get us to the big dance, but it certainly gives its schools much more of a leg up in plenty of other things that could help you. Gives you way more resources and way more respect. I’m not remotely saying we should have stayed in the A10, but saying that the A10 is **** is one of the dumbest things people have said on this board. You all want to move up conferences so we can get more opportunity. I’m saying CUSA is a one bid conference and there is a big difference in opportunity between being in a one bid and being in a multi bid league. Also, please tell me how Middle TN and UTSA are bringing in more fans and opposing fans than VCU and Dayton.[/quote]

The A10 was a s*** league for us. It showed it our performance. It is revisionist history to think our fanbase cared much about those teams. We never even had anything close to a rival in that league.

I have seen us play in the Belt, the Metro and CUSA 1.0. Each time we played above our conference. The move to the A10 started our downward spiral. We recruited well and packed Independence Arena int he Belt and the Metro.

Our current situation is our own doing. We were part of the problem in the A10 and we are in CUSA. Until we actually start winning it doesnt matter what conference we are in. Hell we have lost to Davidson two straight years by a combined total of 57 points.

This is an awful conference. We need to run it. Until we do it the conference crap is nonsense. I am not saying conferences don’t matter at all. What I am saying is until we are finishing in the top 3 or 4 of the conference, complaining about out conference is just crap, because our house isn’t in order. If we were still in the A10 we would still be losing, just by bigger amounts and that wasn’t helping our crowds our last few years in that league.

let’s try beating Atlantic Sun teams before we talk crap about CUSA 3.0 please.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:13, topic:30656”]The A10 was a s*** league for us. It showed it our performance. It is revisionist history to think our fanbase cared much about those teams. We never even had anything close to a rival in that league.

I have seen us play in the Belt, the Metro and CUSA 1.0. Each time we played above our conference. The move to the A10 started our downward spiral. We recruited well and packed Independence Arena int he Belt and the Metro.

Our current situation is our own doing. We were part of the problem in the A10 and we are in CUSA. Until we actually start winning it doesnt matter what conference we are in. Hell we have lost to Davidson two straight years by a combined total of 57 points.

This is an awful conference. We need to run it. Until we do it the conference crap is nonsense. I am not saying conferences don’t matter at all. What I am saying is until we are finishing in the top 3 or 4 of the conference, complaining about out conference is just crap, because our house isn’t in order. If we were still in the A10 we would still be losing, just by bigger amounts and that wasn’t helping our crowds our last few years in that league.[/quote]

You’ve missed the whole point, so let me spell this out for you.

1. Conferences give you advantages. They don’t automatically make you successful.

2. the A10 is a much better conference than the CUSA.

3. I, Me, the poster, personally does not care about CUSA teams but there are probably 5 teams in the A10 I’d be interested in seeing us play. I think this is probably true of the general public and Niner fans also.

Yes, we can definitely be successful in the current conference. I never said we couldn’t. But it will be more difficult and that is my overall point. If you could just magically be successful no matter what conference you are in and it was just a matter of pure will then we would see this happening all over college basketball regardless of conferences. I want us to be and I know we can, but I also know it’s more difficult.

This was also a side point and I mentioned at the beginning that I understand why we left for CUSA and not intended to be its own discussion. But I had to take the bait because, while the A 10 is no Big East it’s not a s*** league. It’s not even called a mid major anymore even without Xavier and Butler.

Our best case scenario would have been to somehow remain in the A10 for basketball and move everything else to CUSA, but as we all know, that was not an option.

But we can still become to CUSA what Davidson was for years to the SoCon. The top dog. Then we go from there.

can we add “Thou shalt romanticize about the past.” to the niner commandments?

The a10 sucked.

Nobody was happy about it, not even our all time winningest coach. As good as teams like George Washington, Dayton, and VCU (who wasn’t even there most of our time) can be, not one fan wanted to be on that level. And for every Xavier that visited there was a Fordham, St Bonaventure and Dusqueenseses.

Football drives the bus and we didn’t even have it. You take your invites to FBS conferences when you get them. Not one program has turned down an invite.

Also, for the love of Bonnie Cone, elevate yourself above your conference and your perceived status.

[quote=“Ben H, post:15, topic:30656”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:13, topic:30656”]The A10 was a s*** league for us. It showed it our performance. It is revisionist history to think our fanbase cared much about those teams. We never even had anything close to a rival in that league.

This is an awful conference. We need to run it. Until we do it the conference crap is nonsense. I am not saying conferences don’t matter at all. What I am saying is until we are finishing in the top 3 or 4 of the conference, complaining about out conference is just crap, because our house isn’t in order. If we were still in the A10 we would still be losing, just by bigger amounts and that wasn’t helping our crowds our last few years in that league.[/quote]

You’ve missed the whole point, so let me spell this out for you.

1. Conferences give you advantages. They don’t automatically make you successful.

2. the A10 is a much better conference than the CUSA.

3. I, Me, the poster, personally does not care about CUSA teams but there are probably 5 teams in the A10 I’d be interested in seeing us play. I think this is probably true of the general public and Niner fans also.

Yes, we can definitely be successful in the current conference. I never said we couldn’t. But it will be more difficult and that is my overall point. If you could just magically be successful no matter what conference you are in and it was just a matter of pure will then we would see this happening all over college basketball regardless of conferences. I want us to be and I know we can, but I also know it’s more difficult.

This was also a side point and I mentioned at the beginning that I understand why we left for CUSA and not intended to be its own discussion. But I had to take the bait because, while the A 10 is no Big East it’s not a s*** league. It’s not even called a mid major anymore even without Xavier and Butler.[/quote]

No I understand your point. What I am saying is we were in the A10. We sucked in it. Our crowds sucked in it. Our recruiting I would argue isn’t much different than it is now. The A10 did nothing for us except hasten our spiral. You can argue that we should have performed better in it sure.

I would love to be in a better league than CUSA, but our program does not warrant it. I saw us step down once from CUSA 1.0 to the A10. I hated it. The A10 was no where near the conference CUSA was. It sucked. I cared zero about the entire league and we NEVER created a rival in the league. We never danced out the league. I dropped my season tickets because of moving to the A10 and if we hadn’t got football I probably still wouldn’t have basketball tix. I was disgusted that lack of leadership by our AD cost us our trajectory.

Now we have stepped down again. It sucks again. I don’t hate it quite as much the CUSA to A10 move, but I understand why people don’t like it. The fact is though we sucked in the A10, our attendance and wins collapsed in the A10. If we were still there we would have still sucked and would be losing by more. CUSA provides us an opportunity. The is no top dog in the conference. We have the past to indicate we can do this. We unseated far larger programs in better conferences. The question is will we do it. We can and we should and we need to stop blaming our short comings on the conference. If we aren’t performing it is because we dont have the right people.

Correct me if I am wrong, but CUSA 1.0 was not the same when it was broken up as when it was formed. Just like the A10 when we left is not the same one that we joined. The success of multiple teams elevate the conference and the rest of the teams in that conference. We have an opportunity to do that again, but we must get our own team in order first. This means successful coaches and them wanting to stick around. If 4 or 5 teams in the conference start doing well it will help us all. Until then we will suffer or try to be like Memphis where we dominate until the next shuffle.

It wasn’t too different when it broke up. Just a few teams had been addded - ECU, Houston, Army, TCU. When we left is when the big exodus happened for the Big East. Similar to the A10 falling apart about the time we left. No Temple, No X, etc.