CUSA nearing deal with CBS & ESPN

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/05/02/In-Depth/Media-rights.aspx

Where the NCAA tournament extended its deal with CBS and Turner with a healthy 40 percent increase last month, Conference USA is putting the finishing touches on a new deal with CBS and ESPN that will pay it much less than its previous deal.

Should we be happy that we are “extending” our contract, or should we be upset because we are getting paid less dollars?

[quote=“49r9r, post:2, topic:30341”]

Where the NCAA tournament extended its deal with CBS and Turner with a healthy 40 percent increase last month, Conference USA is putting the finishing touches on a new deal with CBS and ESPN that will pay it much less than its previous deal.

Should we be happy that we are “extending” our contract, or should we be upset because we are getting paid less dollars?[/quote]The money is minimal in the grand scheme of things, we need on TV as much as possible and all games available for streaming.

More from ODU beatwriter:

Looks to be what we were expecting: streaming, seemingly improved tv options and no money. Ponying up on exposure for the next round of negotiations in hopes of a more favorable TV market.

If you believe that the sports TV bubble is going to burst, then C-USA teams will be prepared for it. :wink:

I wish somebody would write an article prognosticating what the college athletics landscape might look like if ESPN & Fox Sports could not, or would not, fulfill the P5 contracts weighing them down. These are smart business entities and I am sure there is a clause allowing them to get out if they need to, although it would cost them even more money in the short term. Suddenly, there would be a bunch of iconic sports schools that are on the hook for enormous coaching contracts with sharply reduced revenue streams. No amount of ticket price increases could ever make up the difference. If you go to John Calipari and ask him to cut his salary in half does he stay at Kentucky because he loves it, or retire? Or give the NBA another shot? I think lots of big-name coaches earning $3-7 million/year would have to answer this question. The next big realignment in college athletics could be coaches instead of conferences. What if the P5 schools suddenly started hiring up all of the best $1 million mid-major coaches out there? Coaches that have shown they can recruit and win without private jets and unlimited budgets. Craziness!

Maybe this is too extreme, but it does seem like the current situation is unsustainable.

The league will soon announce its new television deal, likely in a week at the C-USA meetings in Dustin, Fla., and [b]a number of reports show revenues declining by about half, to around $7 million a year total for the 14 schools from the current amount of just over $14 million[/b].
"It doesn't have much to do with conference makeup," Stull said. "What happened is, the TV market is saturated and so much money is spent on the major conferences. ESPN has laid off 300 people, other networks are laying off people. The timing right now is not good. There's just not as much money after the top five leagues."

Are we still stressing this with our impending move to the SEC?

http://adsales.beinsports.tv/portfolio/#domestic-sports

Looks like beinsports is the mystery 4th TV partner (ASN being the third)

I like this 4th option. It is not a household channel but it can be found on most, if not all, providers. Also very strong in the streaming market.

I can’t find it but surely someone joked that we should try and be on Al Jazeera years ago, well here we are!

Not quite the same, but I like the sarcasm.

We watch Bein Sports all the time in my house, mainly for La Liga matches. Of course, I have the Spanish version but I just change the audio to English. I wonder if the CUSA games will be on both versions of the channel?

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/upfronts-bein-sports-adds-american-football/

Not quite the same, but I like the sarcasm.

We watch Bein Sports all the time in my house, mainly for La Liga matches. Of course, I have the Spanish version but I just change the audio to English. I wonder if the CUSA games will be on both versions of the channel?[/quote]

clt advises you to switch to American audio for our games.

bein sports’ production value and on air talent is top notch. ASN is a mom and pop operation. I hope they show most of our road basketball games, they have a lot of streaming options as well.

Interesting. I’m planning on getting Sling TV, may opt in to BeIn as well, depending upon how many of our games they carry.

If their streaming options are as good as you guys say they are I’m very happy about this addition.