Damn so-called Charlotte Grads!

Person on FB-About time Heels…big win!
My response-Didn’t you go to Charlotte, not Chapel Hill?
Dumb-Arse response-What’s your point?

:smiley: :cry: ???

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:1, topic:24469”]Person on FB-About time Heels…big win!
My response-Didn’t you go to Charlotte, not Chapel Hill?
Dumb-Arse response-What’s your point?

:smiley: :cry: ???[/quote]

Pleaz advise their name…I’d like to comment to them on FB as well.

Don’t get to worked up about it. If you want to keep all of your friends,
beleive me, you will let this slide. It is a lot more common than you think.

I was at a Div 2 Basketball game recently and after the game a player came
out wearing a Tarheel Hoodie. I thought it was odd but Ithink I was the
only one that thought it was odd since 3 or 4 of the people
he was talking to were wearing Carolina Blue also.

If you don’t let it go - it will eat away at you.

I have past roomates that can tell you all about the ACC teams but nothing
about Charlotte.

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:3, topic:24469”]I was at a Div 2 Basketball game recently and after the game a player came
out wearing a Tarheel Hoodie. [/quote]

But we are NOT a Division 2 team. If some of our “fans” want to support the Heels as much or more as they do their Niners, that is their business, but please do not use the excuse you do it because we are Division 2.

Ken, you and 919R stick to your guns and tell those UNC fans to kiss your ass.

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:3, topic:24469”]Don’t get to worked up about it. If you want to keep all of your friends,
beleive me, you will let this slide. It is a lot more common than you think.

I was at a Div 2 Basketball game recently and after the game a player came
out wearing a Tarheel Hoodie. I thought it was odd but Ithink I was the
only one that thought it was odd since 3 or 4 of the people
he was talking to were wearing Carolina Blue also.

If you don’t let it go - it will eat away at you.

I have past roomates that can tell you all about the ACC teams but nothing
about Charlotte.[/quote]

You don’t have to get mad about …but if you let it go (if its a Charlotte alum/student) without a word you are part of the problem, IMO.

…look, if we would just WIN, dammit, we/they wouldn’t have to be soooo concerned about this. WE’D have the fans we deserve, or maybe we ALREADY do. :frowning: >:(

The problem we had when winning on a regular basis in CUSA was getting recognition in our own home town. It killed us when it came to picking up local fans, including our own students and alums. Not even our televised games were publicized ahead of time.

I agree that we need to start winning now.

No amount of winning is going to get us over playing in ACC-land. Kids who grow up in this state root for an ACC team, this happens because every other kid in the state has an ACC team as their favorite. It comes time to go to college and the kid ends up going to Charlotte. I think there are three possibilities as to what will happen to the sports fan who comes to Charlotte:

1. Drops any previous favorite schools and becomes a lifelong season ticket holder/supporter (I would guess this is was less than 1% of the sports fans who enroll at Charlotte, and that includes the 3 students a year who were actually Charlotte fans before enrolling)
  2. Attends Charlotte games while enrolled, genuinely cares about the program and wants to see them do well, but maintains their ACC allegiance. Will check up on the team for a few years after graduation but quickly reverts to only watching ACC sports (maybe 10-15%?)
  3. Will go watch Charlotte games if they are playing somebody good or have nothing else to do, and will root for them while there, but they truly don’t care about the program and would gladly skip any Charlotte sporting event to watch their ACC team play NC A&T on TV (80%-90%)

There’s room for us to generate a better following for sure, if we win we will get more of the fringe fans (students and local alumni/general sports fans) to the games, but I would be surprised if more than one out of every 5,000 Charlotte students who grew up in NC watching sports actually turns out to be a lifelong fan. No amount of winning is going to overcome those numbers. It takes a long time to build up a following, we’ve seen how quickly the interest drops off even after a very successful 10 year run we had in the CUSA.

My Debbie Downer point here is that winning is great, but whatever has replaced Facebook 20 years from now is still going to have messages from Charlotte graduates about the success/failure of their favorite ACC team.

No amount of winning is going to get us over playing in ACC-land. Kids who grow up in this state root for an ACC team, this happens because every other kid in the state has an ACC team as their favorite. It comes time to go to college and the kid ends up going to Charlotte. I think there are three possibilities as to what will happen to the sports fan who comes to Charlotte:

1. Drops any previous favorite schools and becomes a lifelong season ticket holder/supporter (I would guess this is was less than 1% of the sports fans who enroll at Charlotte, and that includes the 3 students a year who were actually Charlotte fans before enrolling)
  2. Attends Charlotte games while enrolled, genuinely cares about the program and wants to see them do well, but maintains their ACC allegiance. Will check up on the team for a few years after graduation but quickly reverts to only watching ACC sports (maybe 10-15%?)
  3. Will go watch Charlotte games if they are playing somebody good or have nothing else to do, and will root for them while there, but they truly don’t care about the program and would gladly skip any Charlotte sporting event to watch their ACC team play NC A&T on TV (80%-90%)

There’s room for us to generate a better following for sure, if we win we will get more of the fringe fans (students and local alumni/general sports fans) to the games, but I would be surprised if more than one out of every 5,000 Charlotte students who grew up in NC watching sports actually turns out to be a lifelong fan. No amount of winning is going to overcome those numbers. It takes a long time to build up a following, we’ve seen how quickly the interest drops off even after a very successful 10 year run we had in the CUSA.

My Debbie Downer point here is that winning is great, but whatever has replaced Facebook 20 years from now is still going to have messages from Charlotte graduates about the success/failure of their favorite ACC team.[/quote]

Winning big and often WILL make a difference in time, but that’s a BIG “will”. Uhhh, we gotta win first, so it may take a loooog time.

One problem we had (even when we were good) was students arriving at Charlotte and still getting more ACC hype than their own 49ers would ever receive. I remember us being better than at least half of the ACC some years and most of our students, alums, and local sports fans never having a clue. Some were so misinformed they thought we were Division 2.

I think ECU Football is a great example of why you CAN develop a solid fanbase that puts THEIR SCHOOL first even in the heart of the ACC.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. I know quite a few ECU football and UNC-crapple hill basketball fans. No doubt ECU is ahead of us though.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. I know quite a few ECU football and UNC-crapple hill basketball fans. No doubt ECU is ahead of us though.[/quote]but we will have good basketball and football, right?

I have to admit, I was an actual “Charlotte” fan well before I attended, so that equates my current (and stronger) passion for the school today. I’m not even sure why I even became a fan. The only thing I had going remotely related to the school was that I was born in Charlotte and love anything and everything related to our city. Otherwise, I would have probably never been a fan. It’s weird, but even as a kid it was obvious to me that a school like UNCC was totally irrelevant compared to an UNC or NC State. If it wasn’t for the basketball TV coverage from back in the day (early 90’s for me) I probably would have never even known Charlotte had a public university. Today there is obviously no TV coverage. If we didn’t have the internet today and football on the horizon, our school might have been on it’s way to vanishing. It sucks because regardless on what others think, I believe if our basketball had any success like Xavier has playing in the A-10, the Big East would be salivating to figure out a way to scoop us up. Oh well, at this point, we just need to win. Slid off topic a lil…

[quote=“cltfortyniner, post:4, topic:24469”][quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:3, topic:24469”]I was at a Div 2 Basketball game recently and after the game a player came
out wearing a Tarheel Hoodie. [/quote]

But we are NOT a Division 2 team. If some of our “fans” want to support the Heels as much or more as they do their Niners, that is their business, but please do not use the excuse you do it because we are Division 2. [/quote]

I do not think Big Time Niner was referring to going to our game when he mentioned D2 game. He is a life long fan and is very active with the University / Athletics.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. I know quite a few ECU football and UNC-crapple hill basketball fans. No doubt ECU is ahead of us though.[/quote]

This is so true. I’ve met plenty of so-called rabid ECU fans that suddenly turn into Tar Heel fans during hoops season.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. I know quite a few ECU football and UNC-crapple hill basketball fans. No doubt ECU is ahead of us though.[/quote]

This is so true. I’ve met plenty of so-called rabid ECU fans that suddenly turn into Tar Heel fans during hoops season.[/quote]

In all fairness, considering ECU’s past, it’s understandable

The ACC hype machine is just so powerful and the best in the business. It is amazing to me when I hear ACC fans say well he is an ACC player. Besides Duke and Chapel Hill what exactly is an ACC player. H*ll Maryland might have needed a few A10 players to have had a chance against Temple last night but the 1982 ACC perception is reality and most of NC is brainwashed from an early age.

You can include me in that group. Growing up north of Winston Salem every year from the 6th grade thru 12th no one had classes in the afternoon of the ACC tourney. Teachers were allowed to bring in TV’s and we all watched or audio was ran thru the intercom system to all the classes.

Now with that being said I was deprogrammed by the FBI and I have gone 180 degrees in the other way. My 4 year old boys were just assigned to their first Y team and guess what the names of the 4 teams were. You got it all ACC teams. We were assigned to Carolina and I called up the director and said no fckin way!!! I told them to change one of the teams to Charlotte and they said they were going with all college teams and not pro teams. I said WTF!! They stated we are in the heart of ACC country and I said I do not even know what that means and there is only one other family from North Carolina in my whole sub division and I know they do not give a sht about the ACC because they like football!!

It is very frustrating and it is hard to swim upstream sometimes.

This is so true. I’ve met plenty of so-called rabid ECU fans that suddenly turn into Tar Heel fans during hoops season.[/quote]

Think that is pretty much the norm, my brother being a prime example.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. I know quite a few ECU football and UNC-crapple hill basketball fans. No doubt ECU is ahead of us though.[/quote]but we will have good basketball and football, right?[/quote]

Of course! Yeah, this won’t apply to us.