Dance With the One(s) That Brung Ya’

Not understanding the impetus to force out the ones that brought you to the dance last season. Graduates aside, large core from last season with upperclassmen ready to step in are seasoned, bonded, in sync. But, this thing where you stick random first years and transfers in and refuse to acknowledge it’s not working seems to be going well. Lots of hype and noise, fake rah rah. Should’ve left the unit intact, not played politics, clung to personal pride/choice. I see lots of movement after the season (today, apparently). What a load of smoke this dude was.

1 Like

player parent?

2 Likes

imageproxy

Why do you automatically assume player-parent? Y’all here haven’t been able to see past your “men crushes” you have for Healy to see that his move to develop young players at the expense of kids who invested here long before he ever did. And it seems to me that Healy could’ve used a few more Lambert kids and a few less Healy kids today (and this season). He wouldn’t be sitting at two wins against two of the worst programs in the nation right now

I’m firmly in the play your best players with no biases towards anyone camp; whether that’s old or young guys.

As has been discussed on other threads, I think the bigger concern is scheme and playcalling. I don’t know that we have the horses to play the 4-2-5 on defense, and our offensive playcalling is a head scratcher too often. We ran the RPO heavily during our 2019 winning streak, and seem shy about running it now, which tells me either we don’t trust our personnel there either, or Chris reynolds is too banged up to run it, or a little of both. Him as a pocket passer with our poor pass blocking is not working. He says hike and too often has a guy on him before he can even make a 3 step drop. And I loathe the Shoffner “package” because it has been a run play all but 3 times this season. We might as well hang a HEY YA’LL WE DOIN A QB RUN banner everytime we bring him in. Maybe there are RPO elements and he is just choosing run everytime. But it’s almost laughable how predictable it is.

On defense we far too often run soft coverages behind minimal # of rushers, and what QB isn’t licking their chops at that? Let them just sit back and wait til someone comes wide open. It screams that we are hiding severe speed / coverage skills decencies in our secondary in a scheme that calls for 5 dbs as the standard set… Why??? Do we even have 5 high quality / experienced DBs right now? We also ran off a pretty good LB/S player in Anthony Butler and I have no idea why or what went on there, but he is playing well on a highly successful Liberty defense.

I don’t fault the effort or character of these guys. In fact that’s probably what frustrates me the most. I can see instances of guys playing hard. It just isn’t working. Our last two outings, for whatever reason, have been some of the worst football we have ever played. Just to recap, we were outscored 90-38 in those 2 games, one of which there was not much of a covid excuse as we were coming off a win over UTEP the week before. 90-38. And we were never really in either game. The other team controlled all 60 minutes of each game.

This season is a mess because of Covid, and too late to make many changes, but I expect that some really tough decisions will be made in the off-season, about a lot of things. Especially if a severely disappointed Marshall team takes their frustrations out on us Friday night. You know they are itching to prove the Rice game was a fluke.

1 Like

I would advise the patrons of nn.n to tread lightly.

Pretty clear what’s going on here.

2 Likes

I agree about what is clearly going on, they are in attendance only because now they have to be (coaches) It absolutely showed yesterday that they have their eyes on another destination and have checked out on this team. I still say that he should have used more of Lambert’s kids because they proved they were the better players going back to last season. Their politics game is over the top obvious.

I respect that that is your opinion.

Someone would have to clue me in on who we are talking about. From looking at the stat sheets there are 2 SO and 1 FR listed on defense. There are also a couple of transfers from Healy, but the rest are holdovers. Maybe you guys are talking about the O-line. I don’t spend much time looking at that group, but I think Crawford is the only FR non-transfer on that group that starts.

I am not going to question why someone may start over another, but the coaching staff will have to answer to the results. This season which is coming to an end shows that there are some issues. Whether that is player utilization, scheme, play calling, etc., I am not sure. Probably a little bit of all of those things, but I turned the game off yesterday because they sucked.

I agree.

Can we see if Highsmith, Clark, Lemay, Gemmell, Taylor etc have any eligibility left?

why wouldn’t a coach, who needs to Win to go get that next payday, play the players you think gets you the W?

@Nineradvocate please consider locking this. I can’t imagine this going well for the players, coaches, or parents of players involved here. It’s a bad look for the program.

It is a forum and we are discussing everything that we would discuss otherwise. No reason to lock anything.

If we locked every thread with dumbass comments I would never get to post.

3 Likes