David Scott calling out fans

I think Hill has about a decade at the most to move us up to a big money league or we will have to bust up the smaller conferences and play regionally.
Blockquote

I hate being ā€œThat guyā€ā€¦ but if Hill is here in 10 years, we hired the wrong guy

1 Like

I agree but both need love. If you donā€™t continue to build football and push our brand I donā€™t know that basketball attendance will recover. Unfortunately they are tied together now.

Football attendance needs to be a very high priority for Mike Hill. We canā€™t have many more years of the smallest FBS stadium sitting half-full on game days.

4 Likes

I agree. and as much as I advocate for students, if they are only consistently using 2000 seats, we gotta decrease their number and hand tickets out on the street if we have to.

4 Likes

Just from reading previous posts about the students tailgating so far away nowā€¦that needs to be a priority to get them closer again. May be a long term solution, but there is so much land around the practice football fields. I donā€™t remember the master plans for CRI (think there is supposed to be another academic building near practice fields), but thereā€™s a lack of large, rectangular parking lots close to the stadium. If someday we get an indoor practice facility, I would like to see one of those old practice fields converted into parking or at least a student tailgate village type of environment. Could extend the skinny little strip of parking and create a rectangular lot right behind the motor sports building. Parking is already super scarce on campus and could easily be utilized on non game-days. Students need to be close to the stadium. Being that far away currently, itā€™s too easy of an option to go back to the dorm rooms.

As of right now if we did add an indoor practice facility, it would be over one of the existing practice fields. The Toby creek floodplain begins near the other side of the existing practice fields.

I also doubt you ever see more flat surface parking on campus again. Any additional parking from here on out will be in decks.

That long, thin parking lot is the beginnings of the road to what will be CRIā€™s north entrance.

I disagree. Hill can fix MBB while the FB team experiences growing pains. Push the brand with a rebrand. If Sanchez turns out to be the guy and we start winning (nationally ranked, NCAA invites) attendance at MBB will come back. I want FB to take off as well, but I donā€™t see significant changes for another decade or so. Right now weā€™re in a crappy conference with a mediocre, at best, FB team. Students will show up to tailgate then head back home. Thatā€™s just in the cards for awhile. Focus our energies on MBB. Get that right again, and maybe that will spill over into our FB program. We just donā€™t have the resources (big donors) to attack both revenue sports at the same time.

1 Like

Yeah most of those are never going to happen ha ha ha

Thatā€™s true, we have to start producing a product somewhere or the donor base will never grow. We graduate thousands of students a year that will never give back or go to a game again at this point. We need to give them a reason to care when they leave and something for old alumni to come back and enjoy as well. Most people are not leaders on this and will only come back and get involved if its something that other people they know are doingā€¦

1 Like

You pay Hill to manage a department and not a sport. He has to grow both substantially to justify his position.

1 Like

Not sure I agree. If Hill gets us to where he needs/wants to get usā€¦weā€™ll have a much better profile and be in a much better position to pay whatever is needed to keep him long term.

I donā€™t think his position is as stepping stone at his level as a coachā€™s position is.

We can agree to disagreeā€¦ if he does what we want him to do, heā€™s a P5 AD 10 years from now. Either we are where we want to be or we arenā€™t but an AD role shouldnā€™t be a decade long plus gig.

One consideration is that the AD role at Charlotte today will not resemble the AD role here in 10 years unless things really run off the track. We should be at about 45,000 students by then, we should have an expanded football stadium, and we damn well better have some winning teams. The scope of the job should continue to expand in ways that many, if not most schools will not. And if clt is right, and we are in the SEC, that changes everything.

1 Like

Also, we might be in a better league in 10 years, which means a better paying job for our AD, which means Hill might want to stay. He does have ties to the Charlotte community.

Thatā€™s right. Also, 10 years from now, Mike will be 60. Not ancient but probably not too far from thinking about retirement, not taking another new role at another school. He has roots here, owns a place in Blowing Rock. I think (hope) heā€™s here for a while.

We canā€™t count on keeping people here by nature of how far weā€™ve fallen. With that said, if an AD did a good enough job here, this job would be incredible in a few years.

1 Like

I knowā€¦but I was guessing some youngsters on this board didnā€™t realize we have been in leagues with these guys.

1 Like

So if Hill adapts and is doing similar things in year 8 you still want him gone? If he doesnā€™t adapt and becomes stagnant then yes, I want him gone.

The thought process is he should be an AD at a bigger school by then. We need to be a stepping stone.

1 Like

If we were in the new metro, we wouldnt have lost withers and patrick williams.