Dayton Post Game

Acutally it’s during game but with ~5 min left, I don’t think the game is in doubt. I’ve got a 12 month old, giving my wife fits and not wanting to go to bed, so I’m gonna leave this mess with yall.

I didn’t expect to win this one, but I hoped it would be a better game. Bottom line is they looked like a better team and we struggled awfully offensively.

DG has looked awful on offense the last we games. Yet he has stepped up when we needed it most. Unfortunately, this is not GW or Fordham and we need complete games from our guys. Take it over guys. We are still tied for 1st and I would have taken that a month or two ago.

We need to get back on track…Go Niners.

I didn’t even see this game followed on cell, but no need for panic. We had 4 top 50 rpi games left and need to be 2-2. UD has a great homecourt. Wish it were closer but they are white hot and just did the same to a well coached and talented X team.

Relax, we needed a loss to sharpen up. 12-4 would be a great record and you can’t win them all in conf.

[quote=“metro, post:2, topic:22358”]I didn’t even see this game followed on cell, but no need for panic. We had 4 top 50 rpi games left and need to be 2-2. UD has a great homecourt. Wish it were closer but they are white hot and just did the same to a well coached and talented X team.

Relax, we needed a loss to sharpen up. 12-4 would be a great record and you can’t win them all in conf.[/quote]

That is definitely doable. 2 of those are home and 2 are away. I think we can steal a game at GW or URI. We are still in good shape.

The trend of just getting punched in the mouth has to stop. Our resume shows 6 losses, 5 of them are drubbings and the 6th was still double figures. That sticks out like a sore thumb.

I’m not sure if we are the team that won at Richmond and beat Temple or the one that gets crushed on the road vs the cream of the schuule and has to eak out wins vs the bottom of the league.

Thanks for righting the boat, Mr. McCarthy.

[quote=“metro, post:2, topic:22358”]I didn’t even see this game followed on cell, but no need for panic. We had 4 top 50 rpi games left and need to be 2-2. UD has a great homecourt. Wish it were closer but they are white hot and just did the same to a well coached and talented X team.

Relax, we needed a loss to sharpen up. 12-4 would be a great record and you can’t win them all in conf.[/quote]
CO-RECT

This was a good wake up call for the guys. The week off will probably help the guys, but as a fan I’m going to hate it. I’d rather get this behind us. We looked totally unprepared for this one.

Now, let’s start a new win streak.

Nah, GT was a 7 pt loss, wasn’t it?

We are just so inconsistent.

The Bad

Lazy passing, poor shot selection, abandonment of our inside-out game and a a green light for Derrio when he was shooting 10% from behind the arc.

We need to get back to defensive fundamentals, good ball movement, and pounding it in the paint or we are going to have a rough remaining A10 schedule.

We got lit up at man to man, we got demolished in the first part of the second half and it only got worse. We also had way too many fouls on Phil and Bras way too early.

Their scrubs are better than our scrubs.

The Good

This won’t hurt our RPI terribly, and we are still hovering around the top of the league. That’s about it.

I agree. Come off the ledge. We’re a good basketball team. We can’t win them all.

Do not understand these things:

1. Our inability to hit layups, and other gimme shots

2. Our switching to man to man and leaving perimeter shooters wide open on purpose so we can double a driver that isn’t a particularly big threat to score.

These things are problems:

Our inability to hit floor shots seems to carry over to the FT line at times.

Probably the biggest problem we have is that if you take us out of our base offense, we’ve got nothing, I mean nothing. Maybe Derrio taking contested 3’s. That’s it.

These are things that can be fixed, but they need to be fixed fast.

More good.

We did work against Richmond and Temple and the rest of the league. We can take this loss and still be tied for first.

We got PUNKED… for the third or fourth time this season. Seriously, I’ve seen the Washington Generals put up a better fight than that. Even after our terrible shooting in the first half we were only down 3 at halftime, but we didn’t show up for the second half at all. Foul trouble, sure… but that’s no excuse for the sorry effort we gave tonight.

I didn’t really expect to win… I would have been ok with a 8-10 point loss. But I really hate getting completely owned like that.

Like there is some eternal truth to what we are.

We don’t have any NBA players (Braswell would have to improve in a number of ways to play there). Lutz let’s people play. Not a very structured coach, one who relies on tactics.

Our record is much improved over last year. A lot of that has to do with winning rather than losing close ones.

I think this team has overachieved.

If we are shooting well can beat good teams. Otherwise, probably not.

After the Fordham game where Green carried us again, I remarked that I hoped when he went cold shooting someone would step up. Tonight, he went cold and so did the rest of the team. We’re not going to win many games on the road if Green doesn’t shoot well. If you look at our wins on the road, most of the time Green’s shot well. Tonight he didn’t and no one else stepped up.

This one hurts due to the size of the loss. I am not sure how the NCAA committee looks at losses but I don’t see this as a bad loss. We were due a bad game and not many teams win at Dayton. If we take care of business at home we’ll be fine.

Some of our fans need to calm down, going into to night we had won 7 straight. You’re not going to win every game.

Getting blown out is never fun. But it happens. We weren’t going to win out. I’m not happy, but we just need to win our next three home games.

After escaping the last two, I got the feeling that maybe we needed a wakeup call. And I believe this was it, and I’m hoping the guys take notice. We’re still at the top of the league.

I’m gonna post this because I always like to know what Bobby says postgame when I can’t listen…

Bobby’s Post Game Comments:

We fought like heck to hang in the game… we didn’t execute the first play out of half time. They got a run, took a quick TO, they turned it on in the second half.

25% shooting - combo of their defense and our inability to catch a stroke.

Chris Wright was terrific, and is a tough man-to-man matchup for us.

We fought hard and weren’t very good tonight, but they were. Foul trouble early hurt us. Braswell struggled to score, we shot bad FT, esp Bras.

We tried to get back in the second half, but they wouldn’t let us back in the game.

It’s been physical, emotional, and mental stress over the last 7 games. It’s been such a grind, and Bobby gave Sunday off and backed off practice yesterday. He says this week comes at a great time, everyone is physically exhausted and this is a good rest week.

Look forward to the home games, next 3 in a row. Said the atmosphere in UD Arena was packed and wants Halton to be like that.

Yes, we shouldnt get beat like that. But, this team does. Its weird. They get punked out, and it seems when they know they’re going to lose, they stop fighting and get ready for next time. I dont like it, didnt like it at Duke and dont now, BUT…

Its good to have a short memory. I think our guys will. They have a week to get ready. Can’t really afford to lose at home, and need to split at GW and at URI. Then, win at least a game in the A10 tourney. Dont know if we can execute, but we have the ability to do it. Its not over for us, we just have a small margin of error now.

We’ll see what happens. This team is the hardest 9er team I’ve ever seen to get a read on.

Wake up call? How many wake up calls does this team need? I didn’t expect to win, just like a lot of Niner fans, but we didn’t even compete in the second half. Another blowout loss…

Not playing good basketball right now…that’s about all that needs to be said. We lost by 28!!