Deadline to take your name out of the NBA draft?

I know the last day is today, but anybody know the time? 5pm EST? I probably should have given up hope a week ago but I keep hoping that Iti is not actually that stupid.

What I’ve heard so far today does not bode well for him pulling out.

Care to elaborate Mike?

I’m quite certain he’s not coming back but was just curious about any specifics.

He’s not in contact with the people you’d hope he’d be talking to.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 11:31 AM [b]He's not in contact with the people you'd hope he'd be talking to.[/b]

Why are you trying to assume that someone who thinks he deserves a pay check for his basketball abilities would do something logical?

Given Iti’s logic, it stands to reason he wouldn’t talk to people you’d hope he’d be talking to.

With that said, I still think he is a faded memory in 49er athletics. Its just a matter of time.

nice avatar silvio. :biglaugh:

This is no longer about the NBA draft. He’ll go undrafted. There’s nothing to pull out of, because he is not coming back regardless of his NBA draft status. That was just his best case scenario. Playing in the NBA. Playing for free is his worst case scenario. He’ll opt for something in between, although he might as well be paying for free. He’d be better off getting a job in Charlotte and being a gym rat for a year.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 11:31 AM [b] He's not in contact with the people you'd hope he'd be talking to. [/b]
Psychiatrist? Shrink?....
[b]What I've heard so far today does not bode well for him pulling out.[/b]

Mike P…wondering why you guys didn’t run any sort of story about today being the final day for guys to pull out. First of all, it’s a story locally because we are once again an NBA city. Second, there’s the Iti angle and its parallels to Josh Powell (NC State grad, to satisfy the ACC readership). Third, it could influence the Bobcats draft. Fourth, it’s a huge national story b/c there’s way more underclassmen declared than ever before.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 11:54 AM [b] nice avatar silvio. :biglaugh: [/b]
Is that anti linux or anti pittsburgh penguins?

oh… i thought it was anti penguin shot (the arcade game). that would be much funnier.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 12:35 PM [b]
[b]What I've heard so far today does not bode well for him pulling out.[/b]

Mike P…wondering why you guys didn’t run any sort of story about today being the final day for guys to pull out. First of all, it’s a story locally because we are once again an NBA city. Second, there’s the Iti angle and its parallels to Josh Powell (NC State grad, to satisfy the ACC readership). Third, it could influence the Bobcats draft. Fourth, it’s a huge national story b/c there’s way more underclassmen declared than ever before. [/b]

[b]Wondering why you guys didn't run any sort of story about today being the final day for guys to pull out. .[/b]

We’ve said repeatedly this was the last day to pull out. We couldn’t find Iti (although we did find the Western Carolina guy, who also appears to be staying in, today). There wasn’t news, beyond the guys in the briefs we reported would return to school.

[b]

it could influence the Bobcats draft. .[/b]

Uh, just no. Iti is not in play for the Bobcats, in either round. The key ones – Livingston, Howard, Deng, Childress, Iguodala – are all staying in, and we’ve reported that. Some other early entry could factor in if they get extra picks. They don’t have any yet.

[b]

Fourth, it’s a huge national story b/c there’s way more underclassmen declared than ever before…[/b]

And it’s news if they undeclare. We reported all those. Truth is, we didn’t have anything new beyond what we reported from Chicago (the first and only ones to report the Iti story in this market, by the way), so we didn’t write just to fill space.

I’m going back to my vacation, now. Just dropped by a few times because JCL invited me.

Take care, all.

Erase.

The answer man has spoken. :rolleyes: :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 02:26 PM [b] The answer man has spoken. :rolleyes: :D [/b]
Trudat Lefty :wink:

<_< Iti is back. At least he is out of the draft according to a very reliable source. Trust me.

[i]Originally posted by Reverend[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 02:32 PM [b] <_< Iti is back. At least he is out of the draft according to a very reliable source. Trust me. [/b]
I believe it.

From Charlotte Observer:

49ers’ Iti withdraws from NBA draft

DAVID SCOTT

Staff Writer

Charlotte 49ers center Martin Iti has withdrawn his name from next week’s NBA draft, only hours from Thursday’s 5 p.m. deadline for players to inform the league.

Iti, a 7-foot sophomore who averaged 6.0 points and 4.7 rebounds last season, announced in May that he would enter the draft as an underclassman. The league has a June 17 deadline for players to pull out of the draft and retain their college eligibility.

“It’s like we’ve just signed a good recruit,” said 49ers coach Bobby Lutz. “I’m really happy for Martin. I think there was obviously some pressure there for him to go pro for some valid reasons. But I don’t think he was ready. His experience in (last week’s) Chicago draft camp enabled him to see that.”

Not thrilled with all the drama that went on but can’t blame a kid for trying to see how he measures up against some of the better players around the nation. I hold no ill will towards him and hope that he will in fact be back on the team and not jump overseas in-between now and the start of the season.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 02:43 PM [b] Not thrilled with all the drama that went on but can't blame a kid for trying to see how he measures up against some of the better players around the nation. I hold no ill will towards him and hope that he will in fact be back on the team and not jump overseas in-between now and the start of the season. [/b]
I second that. No need to bash. The only thing we could have said was if he had stayed in, he would be making a big mistake. And we'd have an extra scholly unused.

I wonder why Mike P. made it sound like he was not coming back?