Death Cab for Cutie coming to Davidson's Belk Arena

why are we unable to get concerts at Charlotte? I think Halton or the new arts center could be a great venue for this sort of thing.

I know the excuse of “other venues in charlotte” but wouldn’t Davidson have the exact same excuse?

[U][COLOR=#0000ff][URL]http://www3.davidson.edu/cms/x34657.xml[/URL][/COLOR][/U][URL=http://app.quotemedia.com/quotetools/clientForward?targetURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.optionmonster.com%2Fquotes%2Foptions_chain.jsp%3Fnc%3D&targetsym=&targettype=null&targetex=&qmpage=true&action=showDetailedQuote&symbol=@WWTAK][/URL]

The school is probably trying to hold out for a huge name to come play here, which is unlikely to happen. Even though I hate Death Cab, they have a relatively large following, which the best we could hope for from any band that comes to play on a campus with a venue that seats less than 10,000 people.

The school is probably trying to hold out for a huge name to come play here, which is unlikely to happen. Even though I hate Death Cab, they have a relatively large following, which the best we could hope for from any band that comes to play on a campus with a venue that seats less than 10,000 people.
Most concert venues are smaller than that besides amphitheaters. There are some pretty big named bands that play in 1000 person concert halls.

One excuse that I’ve heard is that we are right next to Verizon Wireless.

I’ve seen DCFC on ACL, and they look like they’re pretty boring live, but might be okay in a small venue with audience interaction.

I’m a little intrigued by the opening acts. I’ve never seen Cold War Kids or Ra Ra Riot.

None of these bands are favorites, but together, that’s a decent show. I have to admit that I like [I]Marching Bands of Manhatten[/I]. I’d like to see that one live.

I've seen DCFC on ACL, and they look like they're pretty boring live, but might be okay in a small venue with audience interaction.
what's ACL? I saw a set on HDNET that was pretty good but understand the "boring" factor.

side note, when i was a soph at charlotte John Mayer came to Davidson as well. Did Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds do a set there?

[QUOTE=ninerID;387782]what’s ACL? [/QUOTE]

Austin City Limits…music show that’s aired on PBS for like 100 years. Def. worth a watch…comes on late at night, usually.

Ascetic Parade will play Charlotte’s campus. And we’ll do it for free.

We also might destroy the campus in the process though…

[QUOTE=49erDrummer;387783]Austin City Limits…music show that’s aired on PBS for like 100 years. Def. worth [B]recording on your HD DVR[/B]…comes on late at night, usually.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. I’m about ready to try adding a 2nd hard drive to my DVR for more HD live shows like ACL. I’m at about 86% capacity, cant fit anymore on there.

the Arcade Fire ACL was amazing. Even if you’re not a big fan, the energy in that show was amazing.

Austin City Limits....music show that's aired on PBS for like 100 years. Def. worth a watch...comes on late at night, usually.

crap, should have known that.

Damien Rice on Austin City Limits was one of my favorites.

I’ve seen Death Cab at LittleJohn and they were amazing. Can’t wait to go to this one too.

[QUOTE=Niner National;387754]The school is probably trying to hold out for a huge name to come play here, which is unlikely to happen. Even though I hate Death Cab, they have a relatively large following, which the best we could hope for from any band that comes to play on a campus with a venue that seats less than 10,000 people.[/QUOTE]

As I understand it we have a budget of 20k per semester. Or maybe its 15k. Office of Student Activities (I think) is the one who does all this. Problem is attendance dropped for these huge shows they were having so they stopped doing them.

They want to have a series of smaller shows, rather then one big show a year.

We had this debate a 100 times when I was in SGA. Students would rather have a big show, but there are a handful of people who want it their way. So now we book small shows, perhaps friends of theirs whatever, where like 40 people show up. Or we blow the money on something else. Till we get people who want big things on campus, we will never get big acts again.

FYI, with the money set aside for these activities SGA was proposing Dave Chapelle come on campus. The argument made was that they would rather have smaller shows through out the year where there is something to do all the time…

Now tell me this, which is a better, 1-2 shows that sells out, alot of people participate in, or 15-30 events which have 10-40 people show up… (most of which will be the same group of people or friends of the group etc etc)

Also, which one gets your name out there…

A band with a large contingent of 13 y/o emo kids with too much teenage angst from their lives being just too hard playing at Davidson???

COUNT ME IN!!! /sarcasm

Death Cab is horrible.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;387845]Death Cab is horrible.[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

First concert in Halton, I attended—Counting Crows with Fiona Apple opening

Most memorable-- Lit with the dude getting arrested for whipping his boy out during the show.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;387844]A band with a large contingent of 13 y/o emo kids with too much teenage angst from their lives being just too hard playing at Davidson???

COUNT ME IN!!! /sarcasm[/QUOTE]

ah I don’t really think you have their fanbase down. They’re not an emo band.

I’m not a big fan of theirs. They have some good songs, Transatlanticism is a good album but I’ve known people who are huge on Death Cab tell me they were unimpressive live.

As I understand it we have a budget of 20k per semester. Or maybe its 15k. Office of Student Activities (I think) is the one who does all this. Problem is attendance dropped for these huge shows they were having so they stopped doing them.

They want to have a series of smaller shows, rather then one big show a year.

We had this debate a 100 times when I was in SGA. Students would rather have a big show, but there are a handful of people who want it their way. So now we book small shows, perhaps friends of theirs whatever, where like 40 people show up. Or we blow the money on something else. Till we get people who want big things on campus, we will never get big acts again.

FYI, with the money set aside for these activities SGA was proposing Dave Chapelle come on campus. The argument made was that they would rather have smaller shows through out the year where there is something to do all the time…

Now tell me this, which is a better, 1-2 shows that sells out, alot of people participate in, or 15-30 events which have 10-40 people show up… (most of which will be the same group of people or friends of the group etc etc)

Also, which one gets your name out there…

The big shows became VERY unpopular when Wyclef (back when he was big) played Halton. It was embarassing to have such a name, then have less than 1,000 people show up. That is when it was decided not to have big shows. These concerts are for the students, and if the students don’t show up, then what’s the point of having them.

What is sorely missed, though, are the comedy acts that would be pulled into the Cone Center. They are alot cheaper to bring in and a good night out for the students. Why did the comedy shows slow down?

ah I don't really think you have their fanbase down. They're not an emo band.

sounds like they have some pretty emotional songs… but I have to admit, I only listened to one of their CDs that my wife had gotten for free from a friend at the time. Not very good.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;387864]sounds like they have some pretty emotional songs… but I have to admit, I only listened to one of their CDs that my wife had gotten for free from a friend at the time. Not very good.[/QUOTE]

Death Cab is definitely kind of melancholy and romantic at times but emotional doesn’t equal emo

Emo is stuff like Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, **** like that

it doesn’t really describe the music so much as the fans