Did Ben Wallace Jr, er, Withers play?

:wink:

Hate to say it but he was kind of disappointing. I thought he would really come out very focused and have a great game. He had an average game for Curt. He had one of those vanilla games where nothing he did really stood out. Not blaming him but just an observation.

Rutgers really has some good guards. Their coach saw that they were quicker than ours and spread the floor and then went one on one which resulted either in a dump off for a dunk or two MADE free throws.

The down fall really started with about a minute to go in the first half when they trimmed about 4 or 5 points off our lead while EJ was bombing 3’s.

This is going to be a McFly type statement but…“Plavich is such a streaky shooter. We would be much better if he would be more consistant.”

We needed Withers to take over in the 2nd half when we went cold and they extended their defense. He only took control on one possession in the 2nd half. He made some good plays, but didn’t shine like he is expected to when we needed him to last night.

i don’t know if it’s withers fault when he doesn’t receive the ball in a position to do something with it.

Watching Gametracker on the web, in the 2nd half he made like 3 of our baskets out of like 4 posessions for us, after that each posession turned into ft’s for us and you know what happened then.

Posessions that turn into FT opportunities is considered good offense, not for us.

Withers got every one of his 14 on his own. Lutz should be ashamed of himself.

I wasn’t able to watch the game so i wondered if withers had to create his own shot or if he got the ball in good position.

tm49er - We didn’t run a single play that got him the ball w/ his back to the basket. We gave him the ball and had him run isolation plays. We tried, unsuccessfully, once or twice to get him the ball down low, but that was it.

What I will say is that Curt showed he could easily take his man to the hole late in the game. I think perhaps his team-first mentality kept him from doing that repeatedly, although I would have LOVED to see it.

[b]We didn't run a single play that got him the ball w/ his back to the basket[/b]

Even when we do this, most of the time he squares up before he either shoots or drives.

[b]What I will say is that Curt showed he could easily take his man to the hole late in the game. [/b]

Agreed, and that’s what I was getting at with my first post. The drive I remember Curtis taking, he got by his man and made the lay-up with a lot of not-called contact. When they extended our defense and took away our 3-pt shooting, Curt had to do this more or we weren’t going to score (and didn’t). Mitchell, Plav, and Eddie were all guarded by quicker players of the same size. It was tough for them to dribble-drive.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 10:11 AM [b] tm49er - We didn't run a single play that got him the ball w/ his back to the basket. We gave him the ball and had him run isolation plays. We tried, unsuccessfully, once or twice to get him the ball down low, but that was it.

What I will say is that Curt showed he could easily take his man to the hole late in the game. I think perhaps his team-first mentality kept him from doing that repeatedly, although I would have LOVED to see it. [/b]

I’m going to agree with you here bobblin. I was disappointed not to see Withers posting and doing his work closer to the basket. Could have been the sets or could have been a specific game plan. Regardless, I sure hope it changes and he becomes the central point of the offense until teams stop him.

I did see Iti working down-low but only got it once and his first jump hook attempt of the season just rimmed out.

Overall, we didn’t score consistently unless we were in transition. That’s not going to do it. I think we can expect to see more Curtis at Valpo.

We were fouled so much in the 2nd half. We are the only team that get’s angry when they are fouled.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 12:56 PM [b] We were fouled so much in the 2nd half. We are the only team that get's angry when they are fouled. [/b]
That is funny, I was thinking the same thing. I wish we could elect to take the ball out of bounds instead of shooting free throws.

I agree like declining the penalty, you could decline the foul, execpt maybe the last 2 min if the other team is trying to stop the clock.