Did we recruit this guy?

Mack Macarthy is convincing some decent recruits that Greenville, NC is the place to be. First Darius Morrow (originally signed with South Carolina) and now this 6-5 guard who hails from Durham…

Reflector.com: Pirates sign 6-5 guard

Scout.com: Chris Turner profile

Scout.com: Darius Morrow profile

Nope, if we did we would have got him!

Morrow was a cast off recruit from the S Carolina program after Horn arrived. Word is he’s slow and stiff. He’s purely a body and no more. Think Nance or Cornmullet.

ECU had an extra scholarship too when John Fields transferred to UNC Wilmington.

From Jeff Goodman…

[b]MACK STOCKING UP AT EAST CAROLINA[/b]

East Carolina got a huge coup with the signing of North Carolina native Chris Turner and former South Carolina signee Darius Morrow.

Turner is a 6-foot-5 guard who spent this past season at Humble Christian Life Center in Texas and is a smooth scoring wing who could develop into an all-league player down the line.

The 6-foot-8 Morrow, who played at Columbia High in Georgia, was given his release following the coaching change at South Carolina

Turner was close to committing with Maryland at one time and considered Wake Forest in the spring while Morrow chose the Pirates over Auburn. Seton Hall was also pursuing Turner heavily.

"These were our top two targets when we got the job and for us to get both of them is a real tribute to my staff,” McCarthy said.

Remember, McCarthy took over on an interim basis last summer after Ricky Stokes was basically forced out.

East Carolina finished the season 11-19, but showed glimpses with wins over N.C. State, Houston and George Mason and McCarthy was rewarded with a five-year deal and the permanent gig.

"I think they recognized the fact that one thing the program needed was stability and we’ve got to get that in every phase,” McCarthy said.

Link: FOXSports.com

[QUOTE=run49er;318965]Mack Macarthy is convincing some decent recruits that Greenville, NC is the place to be. First Darius Morrow (originally signed with South Carolina) and now this 6-5 guard who hails from Durham…

Reflector.com: Pirates sign 6-5 guard

Scout.com: Chris Turner profile

Scout.com: Darius Morrow profile[/QUOTE]

Chris Turner originally committed to Oregon State but reconsidered his options. He was the best player in the school his freshman year at Northern Durham, but still played JV because he does not like to listen to anyone. Overall not a bad kid, thought at the time I knew he could be a high major kid if he screwed his head on straight. He did not though and went to massachusetts, and then Texas I believe for school. Super talented and really could have been a stud if he wanted to. Very immature, but hey, who isn’t?

Pirates lose their leading rebounder the past two seasons as 6-8 F Gabe Blair decides he doesn’t want to be the “center” of attention anymore. Blair, who played his senior H.S. season at Hope Christian Academy in Kings Mountain, had 200 rebounds in 07-08 (6.9 rpg). ECU had already lost leading shotblocker and 2nd leading rebounder 6-9 F John Fields, who transferred to UNC Wilmington.

[b]Gabe Blair profile

Gabe Blair departs

Blair confirms transfer decision[/b]

looks like Blair could be going to Winthrop.

Chris Turner and Darius Morrow will have to be outstanding from the opening tip. ECU has lost their top 2 rebounders/blockers by transfer; 2,3, 4 & 5 scorers (2 seniors and 2 transfers) accounting for 33.5 ppg (49% of scoring). Top 2 returning players, now seniors, averaged 18.3 ppg at the guard position. Their leaders (returnees by class) are 2 seniors and 2 juniors.

And… East Carolina will lose a scholarship next season due to poor grades on the NCAA APR deal.

Chris Turner and Darius Morrow will have to be outstanding from the opening tip. ECU has lost their top 2 rebounders/blockers by transfer; 2,3, 4 & 5 scorers (2 seniors and 2 transfers) accounting for 33.5 ppg (49% of scoring). Top 2 returning players, now seniors, averaged 18.3 ppg at the guard position. Their leaders (returnees by class) are 2 seniors and 2 juniors.

And… East Carolina will lose a scholarship next season due to poor grades on the NCAA APR deal.

If you’re ECU and you’ve been hovering around #300 in the rpi while averaging about 6 wins/year for the past 4 years … shedding players may not be the worst thing in the world. :smile:

Darius Morrow & Turner are expected to be pretty outstanding, anyway. Supposedly, the addition of Morrow is actually what chased their leading rebounder away (diminished playing time).

Fields (leading rebounder/blocker) was a forward. Blair (#2) was the center. He wanted to to play forward and not center.

He wanted to to play forward and not center.

Fair enough. I still think the highly-touted Morrow had a lot to do with his decision … even though Blair would never say it publicly.

[QUOTE=HP49er;321742]Fields (leading rebounder/blocker) was a forward. Blair (#2) was the center. He wanted to to play forward and not center.[/QUOTE]
Thus my comment about him not wanting to be the “center” of attention any longer! :tongue:

Survivor is correct to that the signing of Morrow factored into his decision. Blair wants to play small forward and expand his offensive game. In fact, Morrow pretty much said he’s going to come in and be numero uno in rebounding in a piece announcing his signing in the Greenville Daily Reflector:

Morrow said he expects to step in and fight for starter's minutes next season when head coach Mack McCarthy embarks on his second year at the helm for ECU. Morrow even made a semi-prediction for his freshman season in purple and gold.

“I want to start and I’ll probably lead the team in rebounding,” said Morrow, who may have to answer to Gabe Blair, a 6-8 forward who was East Carolina’s top boardman the last two campaigns.

Reflector.com: Georgia big man signs with Pirates

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;321656]looks like Blair could be going to Winthrop.[/QUOTE]
Well, not exactly Winthrop, but he is headed to Wichita State to play for ex-Eagles coach Gregg Marshall. The latter had recruited him while still coaching in Rock Hill.

Kansas.com: WSU lands transfer from East Carolina