Discussion of stats from the Yale debacle

Now Lefty, if you keep on with those little witty comments, I will be forced to write Daddy Lutz and let him know you didnā€™t stay up for the game. -_-

I guess some people would ban you Lefty because you do not hew to the party line that our basketball team sucks. You are unabashedly a Niner fan and I think that is great. We always need someone like you to offset the doom and gloom gang

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 07:32 AM [b] That performance was horrible. Yale sucks and last night we sucked right along with them. Winning games by struggling with teams like Yale is not going to get it done come conference play. I'm just mad I stayed up for that monkey crap last night. Basically, the team plays when they want to. With that being said, I am prepared to hear Lefty49er right a summary on how Yale is a much better team than people think, it's not Lutz's fault, etc. :lol: [/b]
Not sure if Lefty will say it, but Lutz did. His first comment in the post game interview was that he was shocked at Yale's record because he said that is a much better team then their record indicates. Coach said it wasn't that we played poorly like we did against NC-Ash. He said we played well against Yale. He talked about how they did a good job on BP and this was a good basketball game. He even referred to it as "pretty", not an ugly game. He said both teams had good offensive flow though I think he did mention something about the D not being as good as he would like. Yes, we would all like a blow out but given Yale went to BC and took them to 2 overtimes and from the comments Lutz made, I have to give the benefit of the doubt on this one. This was a game where we did play well and didn't underachieve ... sometimes the other team plays well too.
[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 09:50 AM [b] Now Lefty, if you keep on with those little witty comments, I will be forced to write Daddy Lutz and let him know you didn't stay up for the game. -_- [/b]
Let him know I woke up at 1:00 and listened to the last 2 minutes.

Did we win or lose?

[i]Originally posted by 49erInMichigan[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:53 AM [b] This was a game where we did play well and didn't underachieve ... [/b]
I am sure it will bode well for us in March if the selection comittee understands that the niners best is a couple of points better than Yale.
[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 11:14 AM [b] Did we win or lose? [/b]
Hard to tell with this bunch.

Best stat of the game:

ā€œWā€.

[i]Originally posted by 49erInMichigan[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:53 AM [b] Not sure if Lefty will say it, but Lutz did. His first comment in the post game interview was that he was shocked at Yale's record because he said that is a much better team then their record indicates. Coach said it wasn't that we played poorly like we did against NC-Ash. He said we played well against Yale. He talked about how they did a good job on BP and this was a good basketball game. He even referred to it as "pretty", not an ugly game. He said both teams had good offensive flow though I think he did mention something about the D not being as good as he would like. Yes, we would all like a blow out but given Yale went to BC and took them to 2 overtimes and from the comments Lutz made, I have to give the benefit of the doubt on this one. This was a game where we did play well and didn't underachieve ... sometimes the other team plays well too. [/b]

OMG! Have you not ever listened to a Lutz postgame press conference? He has said that exact same BS about every team weve played this year!

ā€œThey are a really good team. People dont realize just how good they are. Our (defense; free-throws; shot selection) wasnt as good as we would have liked. We are getting ready to play (Rutger; ULL; Davidson). They are also gonna be a tuff challenge. We know that they are a better team than maybe their record indicates. Were gonna get in the gym and work on some thingsā€¦ā€

What got me was listening to the pregame BS where he was saying what a good long history this tournament has and how were glad to be in it. :lol::rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:23 AM [b] What got me was listening to the pregame BS where he was saying what a good long history this tournament has and how were glad to be in it. :lol: [/b]
That and Bobby stating that "they have the big white kid." :P

That cracked me up.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi+Dec 29 2004, 10:17 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erpi @ Dec 29 2004, 10:17 AM)

Would someone please explain to me why we canā€™t hold on to a lead? We were up by 15+ on Rutgers and Alabama and lost both. We were up by 10+ on Indiana before they came back to take the lead in the final minutes. We were up by 10+ last night, but it was a 2 point game with under a minute to play. Most of our other games have been much closer than they should have been too. We have had a lot of cupcakes on our schedule and the only game we have won by more than 20 was Long Beach State. Why? After we get up by 10 in the first half, our team seems to think the game is basically over and they go into cruise control mode. I knowā€¦ ā€œa win is a win.ā€ The problem is that if we could hold a lead, we would be 10-0 right now. If we keep playing like this we are going to lose to a couple of cupcake games somewhere down the roadā€¦ which probably means NIT. Bobby needs to find a way to keep our team fired up and playing hard no matter what the score is. Donā€™t let up until Travis Gordon checks in.

I think a lot of the problem is our defense which is either terrible or non-existant. Particularly our perimiter and transition defense. We have defended the low post reasonably well. Listening to the game last night it seems like almost all of Yaleā€™s points came off of open 3 point shots or breakaway layups. At the start of the season I said that free throws and defense would be the only two things stopping us from being a great team. FT shooting seems to be improving latelyā€¦ now please fix the defense.

I was impressed with Iti and Goldwire last night. nice to see (hear) them step up. Basden has been sold all season. Now if we can just get Withers and Baldwin back into the flow of the offenseā€¦

Finallyā€¦ franchise: what did lefty do to you? Leave the guy alone. We are all on the same team hereā€¦ You donā€™t have to agree with everything he says, but there is no reason to attack someone for being too supportive of our program. Donā€™t like what he is saying? Donā€™t read it.

[i]Originally posted by Normmm+Dec 29 2004, 11:27 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Normmm @ Dec 29 2004, 11:27 AM)
Originally posted by 49erpi@Dec 29 2004, 10:17 AM [b]
[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:31 AM [b] Would someone please explain to me why we can't hold on to a lead? We were up by 15+ on Rutgers and Alabama and lost both. We were up by 10+ on Indiana before they came back to take the lead in the final minutes. We were up by 10+ last night, but it was a 2 point game with under a minute to play. Most of our other games have been much closer than they should have been too. We have had a lot of cupcakes on our schedule and the only game we have won by more than 20 was Long Beach State. Why? After we get up by 10 in the first half, our team seems to think the game is basically over and they go into cruise control mode. I know... "a win is a win." The problem is that if we could hold a lead, we would be 10-0 right now. If we keep playing like this we are going to lose to a couple of cupcake games somewhere down the road... which probably means NIT. Bobby needs to find a way to keep our team fired up and playing hard no matter what the score is. Don't let up until Travis Gordon checks in.

I think a lot of the problem is our defense which is either terrible or non-existant. Particularly our perimiter and transition defense. We have defended the low post reasonably well. Listening to the game last night it seems like almost all of Yaleā€™s points came off of open 3 point shots or breakaway layups. At the start of the season I said that free throws and defense would be the only thing stopping us from being a great team. FT shooting seems to be improving latelyā€¦ now please fix the defense.

I was impressed with Iti and Goldwire last night. nic eto see (hear) them step up. Basden has been sold all season. Now if we can just get Withers and Baldwin back into the gameā€¦

Finallyā€¦ franchise: what did lefty do to you? Leave the guy alone. We are all on the same team hereā€¦ You donā€™t have to agree with everything he says, but there is no reason to attack someone for being too supportive of our program. [/b]

[b]Would someone please explain to me why we can't hold on to a lead?[/b]

I will explain it quite simplyā€¦we donā€™t play any defense and we are a poor free throw shooting team.

That is a recipe for letting teams back into games. Throw in a few ill advised 3 pointers early in the shot clock and you got yourself a loss.

Stats donā€™t lie. We rank in the top 50 in scoring and FG% and in the bottom 100 in defense and FT shooting.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 11:31 AM [b] Would someone please explain to me why we can't hold on to a lead? We were up by 15+ on Rutgers and Alabama and lost both. We were up by 10+ on Indiana before they came back to take the lead in the final minutes. We were up by 10+ last night, but it was a 2 point game with under a minute to play. Most of our other games have been much closer than they should have been too. We have had a lot of cupcakes on our schedule and the only game we have won by more than 20 was Long Beach State. Why? After we get up by 10 in the first half, our team seems to think the game is basically over and they go into cruise control mode. I know... "a win is a win." The problem is that if we could hold a lead, we would be 10-0 right now. If we keep playing like this we are going to lose to a couple of cupcake games somewhere down the road... which probably means NIT. Bobby needs to find a way to keep our team fired up and playing hard no matter what the score is. Don't let up until Travis Gordon checks in.

I think a lot of the problem is our defense which is either terrible or non-existant. Particularly our perimiter and transition defense. We have defended the low post reasonably well. Listening to the game last night it seems like almost all of Yaleā€™s points came off of open 3 point shots or breakaway layups. At the start of the season I said that free throws and defense would be the only two things stopping us from being a great team. FT shooting seems to be improving latelyā€¦ now please fix the defense.

I was impressed with Iti and Goldwire last night. nice to see (hear) them step up. Basden has been sold all season. Now if we can just get Withers and Baldwin back into the flow of the offenseā€¦

Finallyā€¦ franchise: what did lefty do to you? Leave the guy alone. We are all on the same team hereā€¦ You donā€™t have to agree with everything he says, but there is no reason to attack someone for being too supportive of our program. Donā€™t like what he is saying? Donā€™t read it. [/b]

Finallyā€¦ franchise: what did lefty do to you? Leave the guy alone. We are all on the same team hereā€¦ You donā€™t have to agree with everything he says, but there is no reason to attack someone for being too supportive of our program. Donā€™t like what he is saying? Donā€™t read it.

Quite a response from someone nicknamed, Lutzfan. What are you, my therapist? Listen here, you donā€™t run anything on here. You donā€™t tell me what to post and Lefty certainly doesnā€™t need anybody to come to his defense. Your attempt at heroism is pitiful, yet amusing. Go Niners.

I agree about our defense. We used to pride ourselves on defense. We used to shut teams down to scrap out wins. It seems now we just try to out score them. The TCU model. Of course that is what Bobby did at Pfeiffer.

It is ok to run, but we need to be able to win when we cannot run and shut down a team when the score is close (Alabama, Rutgers).

We could easily be 10-0 if we just played good solid fundamental defense. That is what is so heart breaking about this season. We are 3 points away from being a top 15 to 20 team.

That said, We just need to keep winning. Hopefully we find our defense when league play starts up. We usually start clicking better and play crisper defense in league play.

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:46 AM [b] Quite a response from someone nicknamed, Lutzfan. What are you, my therapist? Listen here, you don't run anything on here. You don't tell me what to post and Lefty certainly doesn't need anybody to come to his defense. Your attempt at heroism is pitiful, yet amusing. Go Niners. [/b]
ooook. What does my nickname have to do with you attacking lefty?

Iā€™m not trying to be a therapist (although it does sound like you have some anger issues) or a heroā€¦ I donā€™t even know lefty. I just donā€™t see why you are attacking one of our own fans for being too positive. :blink: I donā€™t agree with some of the stuff he says either, but let it go manā€¦

[i]Originally posted by gamer[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:16 AM [b] I am sure it will bode well for us in March if the selection comittee understands that the niners best is a couple of points better than Yale. [/b]
Hey Gamer, did your Tar Heels win last night?

My 2 Centsā€¦

I too am tiring of Bobby apologizing week in and week out for the poor play of his team. Yale is not better than their 2-8 record. Yale is in the Ivy league and does not have athletic scholarships. 1/2 the schools we have played this year are down right awful.

To the 49ers Basketball Coaches:

I like all of you as people, but you need to grow a pair and schedule some real competition. I donā€™t want to hear about how Yale is a good team and LBSU is a good team and ULL is a good time. BLOW THESE SCRUBS OUT THE WATER LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. Bottom line is this, these type of wins hurt us at the end of the year. This is why you have to complain each and every year about the 8 or 9 seed.

Iā€™m regrettably starting to lean towards the arguments of guys like Pino. We should be 10-0 and not have had any close games (except Bama). I would wonder what a coach like a Bill Self or a Tubby Smith could do for our program. Iā€™m not saying go get Lavin or those other washed up coaches who werenā€™t good. Our Athletic Dept. needs to be scouring some of the smaller conferences like the MAAC or the WAC and seeing if their are any coaching prodigies who we could scoop up.

Do you honestly think that if we had our pick of games weā€™d pick Yale? Donā€™t you think weā€™d LOVE to get an invite to coaches vs cancer or pre-season NIT? Do you honestly believe we donā€™t try to schedule quality competition? If you do youā€™re nuts.

Lutz tries to schedule quality programs all the time. However most of the top tier schools wonā€™t come here and play a home and home and it would be dumb for us to just give them a home game with nothing in return. No, this seasonā€™s schedule isnā€™t the greatest, but we lost the series with AZ when Olson decided he didnā€™t want to come here and weā€™ve tried to scchedule home and homes with countless others. They simply wonā€™t play us.

[b]Bottom line is this, these type of wins hurt us at the end of the year. [/b]

That is quite possibly one of the dumbest things Iā€™ve ever read on this board, and thatā€™s saying something. You really believe the selection commt. looks at our schedule and says, ā€œOh, they only WON by X amount against this team, letā€™s knock them down to an 8/9 seed.ā€ :rolleyes:

[b]We should be 10-0 and not have had any close games (except Bama). [/b]

We have lost our 2 games by a total of 3 points. Neither of which would have lost if we had hit our free throws. Lutz canā€™t shoot free throws for us.

[b]I would wonder what a coach like a Bill Self or a Tubby Smith could do for our program. [/b]

Wonder in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. You have a life time to wonder because neither would come here and we couldnā€™t afford them if they did.

[b]Our Athletic Dept. needs to be scouring some of the smaller conferences like the MAAC or the WAC and seeing if their are any coaching prodigies who we could scoop up.[/b]

Yeah, itā€™s so easy to ID coaching prodigies these days. Sure we could scoop them up, and as soon as they started winning here theyā€™d leave for more $$ and a higher profile job. Then weā€™re back where we started.

It absolutley floors me that we have only lost 2 games all season and we have people calling for Lutzā€™s job.

Pitiful

How do you think Ron Zook feels? He never even had a losing season?

Or Dave Wannstadt, one losing season, but two 11-5 seasons and a 10-6 season? Lots of teams would kill for that kind of success.

Heck Nebraskaā€™s head coach just got fired, with quite an impressive record.

I am not in the fire Bobby Lutz crowd, but I can understand where they come from. People donā€™t want someone who will just win, they want a coach who will take their program to another level. A lot of people feel like our program was heading upward quickly and that progress has stalled. I think Bobby has earned his contract, but unless he takes us to the next level consistently by the end of his contract, Iā€™m not sure he will have earned the lifetime contract he would probably get.

Thatā€™s the problem with hiring family, itā€™s easier to look the other way if they arenā€™t quite getting the job done. Personally, I think all Bobby needs to do is get an assistant coach from outside the program. I think an up and comer in the assistant coaching ranks would not be a big problem and could help escalate our program to the next level.

I have a lot of problems with Bobbyā€™s coaching, but itā€™s not just him, itā€™s the whole staff. Bobby does a lot of work with the team, but he doesnā€™t get to do as much individual work as the assistant coaches do. I donā€™t know where the problem is exactly, but we need a defensive coordinator and we need a disciplinarian. It doesnā€™t have to be the head coach (although I would prefer the disciplinarian to be the head coach).

Bobby has earned his 4 more years, or so, I just hope he gets it done. I like him, not necessarily his coaching style, but him as a person. But I also hope that if he never gets us to the Sweet 16 and we arenā€™t Top 3 every year in the A-10 that we consider the possibility of another coach.