Disturbing Stats

Similar to what Sub said. I had a 3.5 GPA and a 1190/1600 on the SAT and I was #22 of 220… so I was the 10%. I took advanced and AP courses during high school but when it came to being ranked I was put back with everyother student and some of them never take the initiative to take AP or advanced courses and then annihilate the mediocre content in normal classes. There were 4 or 5 people infront of me where I was like “you’ve got to be f@#$*%$ kidding me!!!” That and some high schools are just better academically then others. I wouldn’t put too much weight into top 10%.

For everyone taking offense to my statements…

Regardless of whether you did well in high school or not, and regardless of what your personal opinion is of high school GPAs and SATs, THOSE THINGS MATTER. If they didn’t, we wouldn’t have them.

So take offense as you wish, and the top 10% will vary from school to school, but the simple fact is, getting angry about performance benchmarks is an uphill battle you will never win. Those things matter. Big time; and they reflect on the school.

I wasn’t in the top half of my high school class… I don’t lose too much sleep over that one. Let’s be comfortable being who we are, an urban public school that serves those ready and willing for higher education. The school is very important to the city becuase it educates so many and prepares people from all walks of life for a better life, that is more important than feeling good about yourself because you are associated with something exclusive. The people we admit make UNC Charlotte great, not those we reject.

Not taking offense but its not like we were ever Yale in the academia department. Just don’t see why it is so disturbing to you, I figured everything you pointed out from your report would have been common knowledge… I mean you have met some of the prize students on this campus (note: sarcasm).

i had a 2.6 weighted GPA in high school. 175 out of 240 in my class. I have above a 3.0 here and will double major in 4 years.

I was not in the top 10 parcent off my class but I study hard so I want end up in Irak with the solders like senater Carry said.

I was in the top 10% of my class, but it doesn’t make much of a difference at a state school, even if Tarheels think it does. People in my class with much lower GPAs and SATs got into Chapel Hell.

49erFootballNow, I like your signature.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;213138]I was in the top 10% of my class, but it doesn’t make much of a difference at a state school, even if Tarheels think it does. People in my class with much lower GPAs and SATs got into Chapel Hell.[/QUOTE]
That’s true. I was 36/295 and had a 1360/1600 on the SAT. Some of my friends ranked in the 50’s with SAT scores in the 1200’s got into Chapel Hill. What pissed me off so badly was everyone saying, “Man, you’re pretty smart - why are you going to UNCC?” I think that reputation is starting to shed, though. Kids at my school are getting rejected from UNCC, and they’re not really bad students either. A lot of kids wear Charlotte stuff around school and several of my AP U.S. History students are already enrolled for the fall.

chapel hill just got easier to get into.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070125/ap_on_re_us/admissions_mistake

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - An admissions department e-mail sent from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill congratulated 2,700 prospective freshmen this week on their acceptance to the school.

The problem is that none of the applicants have been admitted…

I didn’t really put forth much effort in high school and still ended up with a 3.9, but I only had an 1140 on the SAT. I knew when I applied that I would get into Charlotte and I thought it was a good school that was very much under appreciated, however, I really thought it’d be a lot harder than it is. I don’t think I’ve ever done more than an hour or two of homework in a week and I have a 3.5 right now. I’ve written some absolute garbage papers on books and subjects I didn’t read a damn thing about and gotten A’s, even 100’s. I know some majors are more difficult than others, but I feel that our History department is pretty weak.

This is one of the major reasons why the graduation rates are low.

I don’t see the advantage of growing the school to 35,000. Cap undergraduate enrollment now, get the school to third in funding per student, and let’s go from there.

I was in the top 10% of my class, but it doesn't make much of a difference at a state school, even if Tarheels think it does. People in my class with much lower GPAs and SATs got into Chapel Hell.

Chapel Hill has a quota for each county. If you live in Mecklenburg or Wake, it is much more difficult to get into Chapel Hill than if you were to live in, say, Northampton.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;213146]49erFootballNow, I like your signature.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Since we switched to the new format on this board, I haven’t been able to see mine or anybody else’s sigs or avatars, nice to now that some people can. I guess I’m computer illiterate.

[QUOTE=pip;213164]This is one of the major reasons why the graduation rates are low.

I don’t see the advantage of growing the school to 35,000. Cap undergraduate enrollment now, get the school to third in funding per student, and let’s go from there.

Chapel Hill has a quota for each county. If you live in Mecklenburg or Wake, it is much more difficult to get into Chapel Hill than if you were to live in, say, Northampton.[/QUOTE]

If the # of students was capped, so would the amount of funding we would recieve from the state. We have to admit more students to recieve funding increases. The hungriest mouths get feed the most, and if we can’t justify the funding with our need, the state will not provide it.

In addition, the state does not want us to be the elite school, else they would impose an enrollment cap themselves. We are here to fill the needs of the surrounding community for higher education, Chapel Hell is there to supposedly serve the upper echelon of high school kids state wide.

As for the quota per county, thats just another reason not to live in Mecklenburg county, if your a Tarhole. Hope they let the door hit them where the good lord split them.