Does Charlotte need a law school?

This gets mentioned periodically on the board, and the numbers in this article make it look like a bad bet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/03/how-north-carolina-law-school-job-placement-rates.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)

What percentage of the grads find employment in J.D.-required postions?

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
43.7% - Charlotte School of Law
26.0% - NCCU

[quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:29527”]This gets mentioned periodically on the board, and the numbers in this article make it look like a bad bet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/03/how-north-carolina-law-school-job-placement-rates.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU[/quote]

Isn’t there where Gonzo from the App board went? Ouch.

[quote=“NLP49, post:2, topic:29527”][quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:29527”]This gets mentioned periodically on the board, and the numbers in this article make it look like a bad bet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/03/how-north-carolina-law-school-job-placement-rates.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU[/quote]

Isn’t there where Gonzo from the App board went? Ouch.[/quote]

Yep. ;D

I would say the answer is yes, Charlotte needs a law school. It doesn’t however need the largest school in the state. If they would decrease admissions size, restrict the school to higher quality students, then not only would there be more jobs available per student, but higher quality graduates to take the jobs. It’s perpetual. They cannot sustain the model they have now. It’s abusive.

[quote=“NLP49, post:2, topic:29527”][quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:29527”]This gets mentioned periodically on the board, and the numbers in this article make it look like a bad bet.

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU[/quote]

So who is going to post this over there?

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:5, topic:29527”][quote=“NLP49, post:2, topic:29527”][quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:29527”]This gets mentioned periodically on the board, and the numbers in this article make it look like a bad bet.

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU[/quote]

So who is going to post this over there?[/quote]No need to troll him. The job market will do enough of that when he graduates.

Short answer, in my mind, is no.

First, I think we’d be better off putting our efforts/money into a med school.

Second, there are too many law school out there, now. Charlotte has an advantage in being in such a great city, but it would still be lower in the pecking order.

Third, if the school is determined to have a law school, you’re much better off taking over an existing one than trying to create a new one, a la Penn State and Dickinson Law.

One major advantage of having a law school, though, is that you tend to have more politicians over the long haul. More politicians can mean better treatment at the state level.

There is a NEED for doctors in the Charlotte region. We NEED a medical school. There is NO NEED for my lawyers.

I agree. Medical school is the way to go, especially since the US is going to have to generate more doctors within the next 20 years either internally or through work visas.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:8, topic:29527”]There is a NEED for doctors in the Charlotte region. We NEED a medical school. There is NO NEED for my lawyers.[/quote]We have one. UNC said they may even let us participate eventually. ::slight_smile:

Medical school is the greater need, but it’s also very expensive. I don’t know how it would be financed with the current revenue model and distribution priorities for the state.

While I agree with making sure size doesn’t come at the expense of quality, I think being large is their aim to change the funding model.

There was talk of some sort of partnership between us and the Charlotte School of Law a few years ago. I guess nothing ever came from that?

JD/MBA partnership in place now iirc

JD/MBA partnership in place now iirc[/quote]
http://belkcollege.uncc.edu/graduate-programs/dual-degree-law-programs

clt says yes.

Mrs Dubois is an attorney, just in case you get a ZUI on the way home from football.

Mrs Dubois is an attorney, just in case you get a ZUI on the way home from football.[/quote] Zeppin’ under the influence. I like that turn of phrase.

Mrs Dubois is an attorney, just in case you get a ZUI on the way home from football.[/quote]

clt is above the law.

Mrs Dubois is an attorney, just in case you get a ZUI on the way home from football.[/quote]

clt is above the law.[/quote]

Does your Zepplin talk like Knight Rider?