Does Charlotte need a law school?

fixed

Charlotte School of Law is not known for quality, so if they go under, we can take them over, but we’d have to clean house as obviously their Professors must suck if no one from CSOL gets a job.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:22, topic:29527”]Charlotte School of Law is not known for quality, so if they go under, we can take them over, but we’d have to clean house as obviously their Professors must suck if no one from CSOL gets a job.[/quote]From what I’ve heard, they actually have a great % of students that pass the bar–better than other, more prestigious, law schools.

The problem is perception matters in hiring.

My former roommate in college was class president. He told me we looked into buying CSOL in the past, but it didn’t work out. I forget the reasons why though. I know at the time, CSOL was in bad financial trouble at the time though.

[quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:29527”][quote=“stonecoldken, post:22, topic:29527”]Charlotte School of Law is not known for quality, so if they go under, we can take them over, but we’d have to clean house as obviously their Professors must suck if no one from CSOL gets a job.[/quote]From what I’ve heard, they actually have a great % of students that pass the bar–better than other, more prestigious, law schools.

The problem is perception matters in hiring.

My former roommate in college was class president. He told me we looked into buying CSOL in the past, but it didn’t work out. I forget the reasons why though. I know at the time, CSOL was in bad financial trouble at the time though.[/quote]

First, bar passage rate is not a good measure of law school quality. Many “lower quality” schools have good passage numbers because they essentially spend three years only teaching you how to pass the bar. Many “high quality” schools teach you how to be a good lawyer/think like a lawyer and leave you to your own devices/bar review courses for the exam.

Second, there would be absolutely no reason to clean house. Just because a school’s reputation may not be great doesn’t mean they don’t have some good (even great) pieces in place.

A big part of Charlotte SoL’s problem is that they are so young. No alumni network to help grads out, low citation levels in journals, less money built up, etc. Convincing “high quality” students to give them a shot is tough. It’s difficult to get going. This is where affiliation with a larger institution would be beneficial to Charlotte SoL.