Don't give me the economy bullcrap

http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2009/07/ecu-running-out-of-tickets.html

ECU sales 20k season tickets, only 2k season ticket packages remain.

I swear, we have the worst fan base in america.

Way to go Pirates. They seem to be bucking the trend. Lots of others reporting sales are down. Pirates are coming off a championship season and talk has already started about where’s Skip’s next job (again).

[QUOTE=ninerID;418664]http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2009/07/ecu-running-out-of-tickets.html

ECU sales 20k season tickets, only 2k season ticket packages remain.

I swear, we have the worst fan base in america.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they already have a team. Those folks got 4 season tickets for $1000, too, with a home schedule that includes a visit from Virginia Tech.

It’s not going to be easy to get people to fork over $1000 for one seat. Most need 2, and anyone with a family needs 3-6. I looked at it initially and said there’s no way I can do it, but now I’m trying to get 2 per year to get the 6 I need before we take the field. Right now that’s no easy task. I’m a diehard Niner and it was that difficult for me to come up with the dough. Judging by our basketball attendance, I wouldn’t say there are more than 3000 of us diehards. Some of them just simply can’t do it right now because of their job situation, so that lowers the number even more. We just need to find a way to get [B][I]a[/I][/B] team on the field, period. If you have a product, you can then start to market something more than an empty seat. ECU played Div II/I-AA for 40+ years, and we are trying to make that jump in less than 10 with a town that doesn’t support us, a bad economy, and many alumni that simply don’t care. ECU has two of those three hurdles conquered, and with a team and stadium already in place they don’t have to worry about bad economy having as much of an impact as we do.

Just get a team…at ANY level, and then you can start to push things more. The administration just has to be creative to get this started. They HAVE to think outside the box.
I think once things get settled and finalized things will start rolling…
We have a stadium in Belk, and practice fields. We just need offices and a weight room.

Just get it started!!!

[QUOTE=X-49er;418666]Yes, but they already have a team. Those folks got 4 season tickets for $1000, too, with a home schedule that includes a visit from Virginia Tech.

It’s not going to be easy to get people to fork over $1000 for one seat. Most need 2, and anyone with a family needs 3-6. I looked at it initially and said there’s no way I can do it, but now I’m trying to get 2 per year to get the 6 I need before we take the field. Right now that’s no easy task. I’m a diehard Niner and it was that difficult for me to come up with the dough. Judging by our basketball attendance, I wouldn’t say there are more than 3000 of us diehards. Some of them just simply can’t do it right now because of their job situation, so that lowers the number even more. We just need to find a way to get [B][I]a[/I][/B] team on the field, period. If you have a product, you can then start to market something more than an empty seat. ECU played Div II/I-AA for 40+ years, and we are trying to make that jump in less than 10 with a town that doesn’t support us, a bad economy, and many alumni that simply don’t care. ECU has two of those three hurdles conquered, and with a team and stadium already in place they don’t have to worry about bad economy having as much of an impact as we do.[/QUOTE]

I understand, but we got 5000 [B]COMMITMENTS[/B]. Not people signing up on a grassroots website. 5000 commitments were made to the UNIVERSITY that they would help foot the bill for football.

We aren’t looking for 20000 sales, we are looking for 5000 people to fufill a commitment that was already made.

I know the economy is bad right now, but that is no excuse for us to be at 35% of our commitments sending in the first real dollar towards their commitment.

People who made a commitment and do not stand by us will screw over our athletics greater than Wissel and Wabash Community College could ever do.

I understand, but we got 5000 [B]COMMITMENTS[/B]. Not people signing up on a grassroots website. 5000 commitments were made to the UNIVERSITY that they would help foot the bill for football.

We aren’t looking for 20000 sales, we are looking for 5000 people to fufill a commitment that was already made.

I know the economy is bad right now, but that is no excuse for us to be at 35% of our commitments sending in the first real dollar towards their commitment.

People who made a commitment and do not stand by us will screw over our athletics greater than Wissel and Wabash Community College could ever do.

The more I think about it the more it becomes apparent, the original 5,000 shouldn’t be used as a comparison. At the time when there was the sign up for the initial interest, I’m sure there were plenty who said “Well, if we have to have 5,000 commitments or the football initiative will die, then I’ll just sign up to help make sure the initiative moves forward”.

Reality is we’re really closer to having 2,000 who are comfortable with paying $1,000 for a FSL. We have to look at it from that point of view, and go from there, what can we do with starting football having 2,000 FSL commitments. Sadly we need to start thinking that making up the final 3,000 at this point is probably not reality.

[QUOTE=Normmm;418671]The more I think about it the more it becomes apparent, the original 5,000 shouldn’t be used as a comparison. At the time when there was the sign up for the initial interest, I’m sure there were plenty who said “Well, if we have to have 5,000 commitments or the football initiative will die, then I’ll just sign up to help make sure the initiative moves forward”.

Reality is we’re really closer to having 2,000 who are comfortable with paying $1,000 for a FSL. We have to look at it from that point of view, and go from there, what can we do with starting football having 2,000 FSL commitments. Sadly we need to start thinking that making up the final 3,000 at this point is probably not reality.[/QUOTE]
If that is the case the football is dead, and we need to move forward.

I am a student and after the original 5000 I asked for info about football never committing to anything but I wouldn’t be surprised if I was counted as part of the people who “promised” to purchase.

If that is the case the football is dead, and we need to move forward.

This is what I have been thinking since about March, HOWEVER I have almost convinced myself that Mac E and the other power brokers will probably not let this effort die, but it will more likely take a different form. I think we will end up selling 2500-3000 by October and our “plans” will be adjusted accordingly. I do not like it, but unfortunately I think it will be a reality. (note: I hope I am VERY wrong).

What does this mean? I think we will probably either do very minimal additions to Transamerica Field OR we will negotiate a deal with CM Parks and Rec to SOMEHOW make minimal improvements to Memorial Stadium in order to make it useable for a few years. Also, I’m guessing they push back the start date 1-2 years (which I think is a mistake) to allow more time to raise capital $$$. Unfortunately, it looks like big money donors will have to make/break this effort…Come on Mac, etc. we need you and your "friends’ badly!

The more I think about it the more it becomes apparent, the original 5,000 shouldn't be used as a comparison. At the time when there was the sign up for the initial interest, I'm sure there were plenty who said "Well, if we have to have 5,000 commitments or the football initiative will die, then I'll just sign up to help make sure the initiative moves forward".

Reality is we’re really closer to having 2,000 who are comfortable with paying $1,000 for a FSL. We have to look at it from that point of view, and go from there, what can we do with starting football having 2,000 FSL commitments. Sadly we need to start thinking that making up the final 3,000 at this point is probably not reality.

[B][SIZE=4]So am I wrong in thinking to make this happen someone could not get three friends to go together and get 4 tickets that they could share. Isn’t it just $21. or so a month ($1000 total, $250. per year) don’t tell me that is impossible. Creatively this has to get done…[/SIZE][/B]

[QUOTE=Normmm;418671]The more I think about it the more it becomes apparent, the original 5,000 shouldn’t be used as a comparison. At the time when there was the sign up for the initial interest, I’m sure there were plenty who said “Well, if we have to have 5,000 commitments or the football initiative will die, then I’ll just sign up to help make sure the initiative moves forward”. [/QUOTE]

Bingo. Many of the 5000 had that thought. “I’m going to commit verbally just to get CHP to say ‘yes’”. There are many other factors that are keeping those who committed from being able to give their money, but that one is BS.

I certainly don’t expect someone who lost their job or who’s spouse lost their job to be able to come up with the money they committed. That’s harsh if you think honoring this commitment is more important than supporting one’s family. I don’t believe for a second that the 3000 or so commitments that we are short include people in that situation, but for those that are in it I have no ill feelings toward them.

[QUOTE=919R;418677]This is what I have been thinking since about March, HOWEVER I have almost convinced myself that Mac E and the other power brokers will probably not let this effort die, but it will more likely take a different form. I think we will end up selling 2500-3000 by October and our “plans” will be adjusted accordingly. I do not like it, but unfortunately I think it will be a reality. (note: I hope I am VERY wrong).

What does this mean? I think we will probably either do very minimal additions to Transamerica Field OR we will negotiate a deal with CM Parks and Rec to SOMEHOW make minimal improvements to Memorial Stadium in order to make it useable for a few years. Also, I’m guessing they push back the start date 1-2 years (which I think is a mistake) to allow more time to raise capital $$$. Unfortunately, it looks like big money donors will have to make/break this effort…Come on Mac, etc. we need you and your "friends’ badly![/QUOTE]

We have to take baby steps before we can sprint, and we have been trying to sprint from the get go. There is nothing wrong with playing I-AA for a while (i.e. 10 years or so). I know the D1-or-bust fans will likely commit suicide if that happens, but I think it’s a monetary necessity to build fan and student support before we try to jump up to the big time.

[QUOTE=chasmo101;418686][B][SIZE=4]So am I wrong in thinking to make this happen someone could not get three friends to go together and get 4 tickets that they could share. Isn’t it just $21. or so a month ($1000 total, $250. per year) don’t tell me that is impossible. Creatively this has to get done…[/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

Not everybody wanting tickets is single and has a ring of friends to attend with. I would wager that most non-students at our basketball games are people that bring their families/family members with them. Season tickets each year to get them into the games may be expensive, but they aren’t $2000+. Targeting the non-married football enthusiast is not going to sell many FSL’s either, in my opinion. It may sell season tickets one day, but not an empty seat. I hope if we reach the ceiling with $1000 FSL’s, they will change the FSL tiers/seating and bring in some $500 seats to try to generate more income.

[QUOTE=X-49er;418688]Bingo. Many of the 5000 had that thought. “I’m going to commit verbally just to get CHP to say ‘yes’”. There are many other factors that are keeping those who committed from being able to give their money, but that one is BS.

I certainly don’t expect someone who lost their job or who’s spouse lost their job to be able to come up with the money they committed. That’s harsh if you think honoring this commitment is more important than supporting one’s family. I don’t believe for a second that the 3000 or so commitments that we are short include people in that situation, but for those that are in it I have no ill feelings toward them.
[/QUOTE]

i agree that those who lost their jobs (or spouse lost a job) should worry about food and paying bills before making the investment on football. I do think they owe it to the school to inform them of this situation.

Again, if we only had 3000 legitimate commitments then lets just end this now. Please save this school the money, resources, and embarrassment of going further with this drive.

ECU also scheduled one the strongest non conf skeds in the NCAA this yr

Yall are comparing apples too oranges if you are comparing ECU ticket sells to UNCC football seats. I bet yall would sell a ****load of season tickets to if you had a home schedule like ECU.

[QUOTE=Ace;418698]Yall are comparing apples too oranges if you are comparing ECU ticket sells to UNCC football seats. I bet yall would sell a ****load of season tickets to if you had a home schedule like ECU.[/QUOTE]

Probably his smartest post yet…

[QUOTE=Normmm;418671]The more I think about it the more it becomes apparent, the original 5,000 shouldn’t be used as a comparison. At the time when there was the sign up for the initial interest, I’m sure there were plenty who said “Well, if we have to have 5,000 commitments or the football initiative will die, then I’ll just sign up to help make sure the initiative moves forward”.

Reality is we’re really closer to having 2,000 who are comfortable with paying $1,000 for a FSL. We have to look at it from that point of view, and go from there, what can we do with starting football having 2,000 FSL commitments. Sadly we need to start thinking that making up the final 3,000 at this point is probably not reality.[/QUOTE]

pretty much sums up the current situation.

[QUOTE=ninerID;418675]If that is the case the football is dead, and we need to move forward.[/QUOTE]

keep trying to not think this way, but the longer the effort goes on without any tangible growth past those 2,000, the harder it gets to look positive about the future of football.

I want to go see the ECU App game and it’s pretty much impossible to get tickets. Apparently they don’t do the whole student guest tickets at ECU. I will probably be going there for grad school.

Do other places do FSLs? I know Appst and Western and no other DIAA school sales that I know of sale FSL’s.

The economy stuff is real. I personally think that the university could raise more money than they are and the cost is outrageous. I’m a huge niners fan and alum. I more than anything for it to succeed, but the cost is crazy. I can’t blame anyone for not purchasing an FSL.

The key is finding corporations to fit the bill and getting alums and fans to pay for season tickets.

The AD needs to get it together and give some answers.

What conference will we play in?
Where will we play?
What D-1 conference do we plan on trying to get in 5 years?

Another thing - This entire FSL drive was botched from the beginning. They took “commitments” based on 1000.00 and that was it. Nothing else.

Then all of sudden, here come the add ons, keep your seats permanent (250) more than 4 seats (1250 annual donation) gold tier, green tier. etc…

Here is a comparison for you golfers out there. Give me 300.00 and I will get you a round of golf in Charlotte. It could be Quail Hollow or it could be Charles T. Myers.

???

Above poster is correct. The problem with generating FSL sales is we have no conference, no players, no coach, no field etc etc, a lot of people don’t want to put money blindly in when there isn’t a plan, or not a public one.