Doyel answers 49er fan in mailbag

In response to Gregg Doyel’s earlier comments about the Niners…

[b]From: Tim[/b]

One note on Charlotte, Doyel – there are still 24 games left to be played. Yeah, they have played poorly, but this team has talent. You will see after they win out and pounce on Indiana on Dec 19.

You’re right, Charlotte has talent. Which means the problem is chemistry or coaching. You pick.

Sportsline.com: Hate Mail

[B]Win out[/B]?!!:ohmy: :huh: I would love to see it, but I don’t see it happening. We played much better against Davidson, but let’s not get carried away.

No way anyone should think we’d win out. That’s crazy. Have to agree with Doyle on this one.

[QUOTE]You will see after they win out and pounce on Indiana on Dec 19[/QUOTE]

Just a guess, but I think it was just awkwardly worded. I think it meant that we would win out prior to Dec 19 and enter the Indiana game at 6-3. I can see that.

I ALWAYS get a good laugh out of this kinda stuff.

The only thing this team has proven to me this season is that ANYTHING is possible.

The ONLY game that matters is the next one on the schedule.

Is may sound Lou Holtz-ish, but right now, ULL sounds like an extremely difficult opponent.

Here I am worried to death about Saturday’s game.

This will be one of the best/most exciting/most tense seasons ever just because every game is totally unpredictable. We could score 38 points or 90 points. Lee could have 26 points or 0 points. Curt could have 20 points and 20 rebounds or be held to single digits in each category. DA could miss his first 5 shots and hit his last 5 shots to win the game.

However it all ends up, its gonna be one helluva ride.

I think its Chemistry, miss. st. was just on everyone, but early games, new pieces, juco guys who want junior minutes, i think now lutz is starting to see who works.

I think its Chemistry, miss. st. was just on everyone, but early games, new pieces, juco guys who want junior minutes, i think now lutz is starting to see who works.

EJ doesn’t…

EJ doesn't....

Prior to Davidson, NOBODY fit other than Withers and Bennett. The ones who played proved themselves. Hopefully EJ will soon prove himself too.

Found this comment by Dayton coach Brian Gregory…

[b]BK[/b]: Bobby Lutz.

BG: I don’t know him that well, but from watching his teams play, they run a lot of different things at you and still they always seem to know exactly what they are supposed to be doing. He has done a good job of mixing high school players and junior college players. The success he has had in Conference USA speaks volumes for him as a coach.

UDPride.com: An Interview with Brian Gregory

Also, the A-10 Men’s Hoops Media Guide lists the following about Lutz…

[b]PLAYING CAREER[/b]

1973-76 Bandys High School
All-Conference (1976)
All-Conference in baseball (1976)

1977-80 UNC Charlotte
NCAA Tournament (1977 - Final Four)
Sun Belt Regular Season Championship (1977, 1978)
Sun Belt Tournament Championship (1977)

Atlantic10.org: 2005-06 Media Guide

Just a little revisionist history there! :rolleyes:

Damn…looks like he actually answered my question…well, I guess Ill either look like a genius or a complete moron after the 19th eh? Oh, yeah, I did mean win out to the Indiana game to be 6-3, lol, my bad guys

about chemistry,
and looking back upon Coach’s comments after the Wyoming loss…

Lutz said he shouldn’t have scheduled the tournament.
At the time it sounded like a cop out.

For whatever reasons, we simply WEREN’T ready for that tournament. And, we blew the freaking Mississippi State game.

But we’ve adjusted and improved, and now I can’t help but notice, say, Louisville’s schedule: they’re Ken Pom ranking is 7, and they’ve only played one game, and it was against a scrub. Moreover, their next 3 or 4 are against scrubs as well.

So we didn’t start out like Winthrop, who I’m sure could kick out asses. Big deal. We ARE talented. I don’t know if we’ll beat Indiana, but I’ll be disappointed if we don’t bring our game, keep it close.

I’d like to think that this team, like so many former Niner teams, will go on somewhat of a tear, perhaps winning 9 straight at some point. Although I can’t see it yet, I garner hope.

On the other hand, Xavier is bad-ass.

[QUOTE]So we didn’t start out like Winthrop, who I’m sure could kick out asses[/QUOTE]

And that is because they are disciplined and well coached.

Saying we weren’t ready for that tournament is nothing but a bad excuse for his poor coaching job so far this season. Every coach has the same amount of time to get ready and the best coaches always have their teams prepared.

He wouldn’t have been using the “we shouldn’t have scheduled this” or “we weren’t ready” excuses had we played bad but still won it.

[QUOTE=49erpi;142688] Every coach has the same amount of time.[/QUOTE]

By scheduling, Patino created time.

Given that we, under Lutz, tend to start slow, and given our recent improvement, I’m suggesting that Lutz’s comment no longer seems absurd. Now, I think it makes sense. We had a lot to lose and little to gain in that tournament.

Why did we bother? Our RPI would be better off had we played UNCA, at home, two weeks later.

We should have never lost 2 in Wyoming BUT scheduling is so important in college basketball…and especially for our teams. We bring lots of new guy in each year. 7 this year.

Next year, we’ll welcome 5 or 6 more and at least 4 will be freshman. We go to Inidana and Miss St next year. That’s brutal for a young team. I hope we start the season with 3 home games.

And back to the start of this season. Way too many quick shots and guys breaking off plays. A team of jump shooters and Withers needs to work the clock, be patient and run through the options offensively. We’re seeing more patience now and better execution. As a result, guys are starting to get on track.

Also, I’ve seen Lutz pull guys for taking forced shots. I don’t remember much of that in the past. Good to see.

Lefty,
I agree about the scheduling. It wasn’t the competition I think Lutz was talking about somuch as it was being on the road and having so many games in such little time to prepare with so many new players. Not to look to next year, but I do hope these guys can gel quicker than this year. We may only return two starters, DA and Lee. So who do you guys think the starters will be?

Carlos
Lee
DA
Sean
Dumptruck

[QUOTE=49erpi;142688]And that is because they are disciplined and well coached.

Saying we weren’t ready for that tournament is nothing but a bad excuse for his poor coaching job so far this season. Every coach has the same amount of time to get ready and the best coaches always have their teams prepared.

He wouldn’t have been using the “we shouldn’t have scheduled this” or “we weren’t ready” excuses had we played bad but still won it.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Winthrop returned basically their entire team. Granted Lutz team so far has not been very disciplined, but they are playing better and better every game. They are making better decisions and I think if Bobby would have known how poorly we’d shoot to start the year, he would’ve scheduled and coached differently. He did a poor job to start the year, but he’s done a marvelous job righting the ship. I can’t all that a poorly coached team. I have to respectfully disagree with you.

[QUOTE=49erFan1;142821]I disagree. Winthrop returned basically their entire team. Granted Lutz team so far has not been very disciplined, but they are playing better and better every game.[/QUOTE]

Please. Lutz returned Withers as a 4th year senior, Baldwin as a 5th year senior, Nance, Goldwire, DA and EJ all in their second year with the program. This team is experienced as college teams go these days.

[QUOTE] I think if Bobby would have known how poorly we’d shoot to start the year, he would’ve scheduled and coached differently.[/QUOTE]

First of all, we are not a very good shooting team to start.

Second, it was the shot selection that was the biggest part of the problem and that is on the coaching staff.

Finally, what exactly would he do differently if he had known how bad we were? Schedule easier teams? Is that possible? This is the weakest 7 games I have ever seen to start a season going back to the sunbelt days.

How would he coach differently? He hasn’t changed in eight years and I don’t think he is capable of anything else.

[QUOTE]He did a poor job to start the year, but he’s done a marvelous job righting the ship.[/QUOTE]

A marvelous job? With a 5 point win over GA St?

A home win over a Portland team that may be the worst team in the country?

Or was it the 2OT win over Davidson that, lets face it, would have been embarrasing in any other year.

Sorry, but I’m gonna have to go ahead and disagree with your counterpoint.

After MSU the majority of us didn’t think we had a chance against a lot of those teams, and certainly not a Davidson team that had beaten St. Joes and UMass. You are right any other year we’d be ashamed, but we’re playing 3 or 4 new guys every game and we’ve had a couple of guys slumping and knicked up. I hate those 3 stupid losses as much as anyone else. However I think this team is getting better gradually. I think most of that is coaching.