Dubois on football, 1/6/08

This is a good, solid timetable. You never want to rush into anything or release a decision with partial details and no firm plan behind it.

Basically, you’re going to have to lay out all the plans, how it’s going to be financed, some facilities planning (upgrades needed to various rooms, strength, training, administration, lockerrooms, equipment room). Plus field upgrades, figure out where you might be playing your games and where you’re going to put the field hockey team or whatever other female teams you add.

There is a lot that is going to have to go into this. They’re going to have to put the entire plan together and figure out how to pay for it, then go out and silently hit up some donors to see if the support is going to be there, formulate a plan for student fee increases. You’re going to want to do a lot of study on this. June is a good timeline. March, April, May to do all the work.

I agree you want to have a great plan in place when you make the decision. So I can only hope that when it is made they will also say this is the conference we will play in, this is the year that it will start, this is the field we will play on, these are the womens sports we will add, this is what the helmet will look like.

Otherwise, I don’t see how right now they can not know whether we are going to do this or not. I think the general fan doesn’t care about all the details right now. Just tell us whether we are going to do it or not. I found it discouraging.

What about a name??? Our University still needs a name!!!

Where were you a few days ago? I needed your help. :wacko: Most people on this board think football is more important than a name change.

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18523

[QUOTE=Normmm;281598]Where were you a few days ago? I needed your help. :wacko: Most people on this board think football is more important than a name change.

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18523[/QUOTE]

Infinately more important Normmm. No one else will give a D*** about the University of Charlotte if it has no football.

[QUOTE=Normmm;281582]So I can only hope that when it is made they will also say this is the conference we will play in…[/QUOTE]
I think that’s one question that WILL NOT be answered when any announcement is made. I think it’s an accepted conclusion that the first season or maybe even two would be as an independent. Schedules are made too far out in advance for football teams these days.

[QUOTE=HP49er;281734]I think that’s one question that WILL NOT be answered when any announcement is made. I think it’s an accepted conclusion that the first season or maybe even two would be as an independent. Schedules are made too far out in advance for football teams these days.[/QUOTE]

The Big South is probably the only realistic option for us in FCS if we make it clear we are moving up soon, and we had better be. The BS only has 5 football schools and would love for us to fill the 6th spot even if we don’t stay FCS long.

does anyone think the current bank situation puts a wrinkle in any of this? What I mean is, we lost out of football due to 9/11 years ago (or so the story is told) now this crap is going on, Is Dubois wanting to wait this stuff out and that is part of the reason for the caution?

Infinately more important Normmm. No one else will give a D*** about the University of Charlotte if it has no football.

You’re kidding right? You realize we have not had football for 40 some years and hopefully people still give a d***.

And to be clear, I want football. I just think we would see more of an immediate benefit from the name change, as in a couple of months.

[QUOTE=ninerID;281983]does anyone think the current bank situation puts a wrinkle in any of this? What I mean is, we lost out of football due to 9/11 years ago (or so the story is told) now this crap is going on, Is Dubois wanting to wait this stuff out and that is part of the reason for the caution?[/QUOTE]

I’ve been thinking about that lately. I’m worried that another natural disaster or terrorist attack will happen soon.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;281996]I’ve been thinking about that lately. I’m worried that another natural disaster or terrorist attack will happen soon.[/QUOTE]

That would be just our luck. Hopefully that will not happen.

I think that's one question that WILL NOT be answered when any announcement is made. I think it's an accepted conclusion that the first season or maybe even two would be as an independent. Schedules are made too far out in advance for football teams these days.

I agree. That’s why I don’t understand why it would take 8 months before an announcement is made, unless they’re trying to work out details like that.

The delay is BS.
The Chancellor promised to recommend to the BOT what the Comm. said. The Comm. said Yes, so he should go to the BOT immediately to recommend Yes. This is all a plot to say No, damn it.
I’m tired of A&T & Sav. St. grads talking smack about when we’re going to get a team. They have dog teams, but talk junk.

[QUOTE=Normmm;281995]You’re kidding right? You realize we have not had football for 40 some years and hopefully people still give a d***.

[/QUOTE]

You must go to a different UNC Charlotte then I do because the one I go to has people wearing ACC and SEC gear and wondering whether Duke will beat the Tarholes this year. Its true that Niner gear has become more visible, but I don’t really see that translating to more support for basketball.

A name change won’t help us get in a better conference.
It won’t increase local interest.
It won’t make students come to games.
It won’t make sponsors donate to us more.
It won’t get students and alumni excited about the University.

Football can do all those things and more!

Just to be clear, I am also for a name change, but football is light years ahead in importance.