Duke

How is Duke still #1 after they barely beat VT, a team that was at the bottom of the Big East?

thwy won’t stop being number 1 till they lose…its stupid but thats the truth

neither texas or uconn can pass them thill duke takes a loss

Duke is Duke. They play Texas this weekend and the winner will be #1.

They also beat Memphis and Indiana which are two ranked opponents.

Let’s not forget VT beat them last year and have always played them tough.

They’re a good team and I don’t have an argument on why they shouldn’t be #1

The obsession/infatuation never ceases to exist here. Had that been UCONN winning on a buzzer beater, I find it hard to believe anyone here would criticize them remaining number one.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;143138]How is Duke still #1 after they barely beat VT, a team that was at the bottom of the Big East?[/QUOTE]

VA Tech is in the ACC now, they finished 4th on the ACC last year…
Duke is #1 because they are still undefeated, we will see if they are still undefeated after they play Texas on Saturday…

[QUOTE=jcl49er;143143]The obsession/infatuation never ceases to exist here. Had that been UCONN winning on a buzzer beater, I find it hard to believe anyone here would criticize them remaining number one.[/QUOTE]

UCONN also dosen’t get blurbs from dickie v every friggin’ game no matter their standing and uconn is often praised only at their level of achievement,duke is praised regardless, their coach used to have a tv recruiting spot during the last ncaas, remember? Dosen’t help you hear comments fromplayers like sean dockery “our second team could beat anyones first team.” or Lee Melchioni “On paper we should beat anyone this year.” Normally the coaching phiosophy that duke embraces, team and skill over athleticisim, would warm my heart. Coupling this philosophy with whiney little self-absorbed punks who feel not just confident but downright superior and condescending when they step on (slap on) the court, that is why people hate duke.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;143143]The obsession/infatuation never ceases to exist here. Had that been UCONN winning on a buzzer beater, I find it hard to believe anyone here would criticize them remaining number one.[/QUOTE]

Does that mean you think they are the best team in the country right now? I understand your point JCL, but it’s a good (and fair) discussion for a somewhat slow day.

I think Duke is the #1 team in the country.

UCONN also dosen't get blurbs from dickie v every friggin' game no matter their standing and uconn is often praised only at their level of achievement,duke is praised regardless, their coach used to have a tv recruiting spot during the last ncaas, remember? Dosen't help you hear comments fromplayers like sean dockery "our second team could beat anyones first team." or Lee Melchioni "On paper we should beat anyone this year." Normally the coaching phiosophy that duke embraces, team and skill over athleticisim, would warm my heart. Coupling this philosophy with whiney little self-absorbed punks who feel not just confident but downright superior and condescending when they step on (slap on) the court, that is why people hate duke.

Love it or hate it, Coach K is the best active coach in the country. Also look at the number of Duke players who have been/currently are successful in the NBA. Then look at the banners Duke has accumulated. The consistency of being nationally ranked. The recruiting classes. The McDonald’s AA’s. The home record. The NCAA Tournament appearances. The Final Fours.

I hate Duke but I’m not jaded to the point that I can’t admit they are they are at the pinnacle of college basketball success. Just don’t get why so many people here constantly slam Duke and UNC. If both programs were highly unsuccessful, then I doubt either would ever be mentioned here. But because they are successful, a new thread about them every day only comes across as having an inferiority complex. Get over it people. Who gives a crap about whether or not Duke is ranked #1? They have accomplished enough to warrant the ranking anytime they are undefeated at this point in the season. Accept it and worry more about the A-10 and Charlotte for once.

Why do you care? It doesnt matter who is number 1 in college basketball, especially not now.

I hate Duke but I’m not jaded to the point that I can’t admit they are they are at the pinnacle of college basketball success. Just don’t get why so many people here constantly slam Duke and UNC. If both programs were highly unsuccessful, then I doubt either would ever be mentioned here. But because they are successful, a new thread about them every day only comes across as having an inferiority complex. Get over it people. Who gives a crap about whether or not Duke is ranked #1? They have accomplished enough to warrant the ranking anytime they are undefeated at this point in the season. Accept it and worry more about the A-10 and Charlotte for once.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don’t care about Duke. Let them be #1. That just makes it that much harder on the fans when they fail to win the national championship.

Remember how many weeks Wake was ranked #1 last year… it sure didn’t stick very long, and it definately didn’t help them in the tourney.

Ok my computer is sub-par. Anyway, there is no arguing with stats, duke has definately impressed and I agree that coach k is the best in college basketball right now. However what I was trying to convey that I don’t take issue with duke’s success or gameplay, I respect both. I do take issue with the attitude that consistently radiates from their players, obviously reflective of the coaches ideals. From lattner to parks to wojo to chris collins to jj many duke players have consistently had a whiney, holier-than-thou attitude, and in many ways are generally jerks. I realize almost every program has had an a**hole or two on the roster and perhaps it is only because of duke’s constant attention, however I cannot think of any other team in the ACC that has produced such a number of players hated not just for their skill but attitude as well.

I hate Duke but I'm not jaded to the point that I can't admit they are they are at the pinnacle of college basketball success. Just don't get why so many people here constantly slam Duke and UNC. If both programs were highly unsuccessful, then I doubt either would ever be mentioned here. But because they are successful, a new thread about them every day only comes across as having an inferiority complex. Get over it people. Who gives a crap about whether or not Duke is ranked #1? They have accomplished enough to warrant the ranking anytime they are undefeated at this point in the season. Accept it and worry more about the A-10 and Charlotte for once.

it’s sort of like penis envy…

Ok my computer is sub-par. Anyway, there is no arguing with stats, duke has definately impressed and I agree that coach k is the best in college basketball right now. However what I was trying to convey that I don't take issue with duke's success or gameplay, I respect both. I do take issue with the attitude that consistently radiates from their players, obviously reflective of the coaches ideals. From lattner to parks to wojo to chris collins to jj many duke players have consistently had a whiney, holier-than-thou attitude, and in many ways are generally jerks. I realize almost every program has had an a**hole or two on the roster and perhaps it is only because of duke's constant attention, however I cannot think of any other team in the ACC that has produced such a number of players hated not just for their skill but attitude as well.

I think skill and attitude/ego can go hand in hand. The guys that Duke recruits have been the best of their class at every level they’ve played at. They are used to being the best player and usually come from a highly successful program. I’m not condoning that success equal arrogance. Obviously there have been plenty of exceptions to that notion. But look at all the egos in professional sports? A lot of the best players are the ones perceived as being the biggest a-holes.

And I’m sure that Coach K’s personality trickles down to his players. He’s a jerk and it probably rubs off. But that’s his style and you can’t dispute his success. But I’ve never met a Duke player on a personal level so I can’t judge them based on them slapping the court with their hands or chest bumping after beating yet another top-notch team. Hell, I wish our guys played half as good as that to even be in position to warrant some attitude and arrogance.

The bottom line is that people never hate losers. Why do you think so many people despised Jeff Gordon in the mid-late 90’s? What did he ever do on a personal level to warrant that hatred? He was hated and had stupid rumors spun about him simply because he kept beating everyone else’s favorite driver every weekend. Duke is despised by other fans primarily because they dominate the game year after year. Don’t really see anyone on here slamming Clemson basketball. Why? Because they suck and have nothing to be envious of. Doesn’t mean their players don’t have attitudes though…we just don’t see it because they’re not in the limelight like Duke is.

The fact that we are discussing something about Duke as insignificant as their ranking this week on a Charlotte messageboard just proves that the observer should in fact cover ACC probably to the extent that they do currently because there is enough buzz/interest. Do you think the Duke messageboard had a thread about Charlotte’s #18 ranking last year?

The fact that we are discussing something about Duke as insignificant as their ranking this week on a Charlotte messageboard just proves that the observer should in fact cover ACC probably to the extent that they do currently because their is enough buzz/interest. Do you think the Duke messageboard had a thread about Charlotte's #18 ranking last year?

Kind of my point but in about 1,000 less words. :tongue:

Ok, no more duke, I guess we should be concentrating on wake anyway…

It’s all good. The Big East is going to render the ACC as the 2nd basketball conference in this country.